Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: Something GNU is coming to the Peoplemover track....

Someone mentioned having PM show scenes with DL past, present, & future (or something like that). Wonder if he meant something like EPCOT's Journey Into Your Imagination. I went on that ride once (I think it was a soft opening because it wasn't listed on the maps) and the ride strolled through scenes and stopped for scenes as well (kinda like a parade show stop I guess). So I guess if something similar to the way JIYI's/PM ride tech would be an interesting combo for the tracks above. Not only do you get the leisure ride, but also a show scene (and probably a speeder ride when you're over Autopia tracks). But like most people have said, what kind of show scenes can you have? Teleportation, time-travel, genetic experimentation...?? And is there any room possible to install these show scenes AND take a peek into the TL ride...?? Oh yes, don't forget the video monitors .

I really dislike the CARS idea for TL. DCA needs it more. From what I know about the Nemo storyline ride, I think it slides more into TL than CARS can.

Anyone have pictures of how WDW's TL loads people into PM & Astro Orbiter?? I think with PM, it's a speed ramp. I kinda miss the speedramp at the end of Space Mountain...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Anyone have pictures of how WDW's TL loads people into PM & Astro Orbiter?? I think with PM, it's a speed ramp. I kinda miss the speedramp at the end of Space Mountain...

You can see the elevator tower to Astro Orbiter behind the platform. Look for the turqoise thing:

They also still have the end speedramp at their Space Mountain although it goes past some scenes that were part of the RCA/FedEx sponsorhsips of years gone by (ooh, your face on a TV set! Super-high-tech if this was 1974!) I would have taken pictures of the speedramp exit if I only knew it would have made a few people here envious. But really, the WDW Space Mountain is what the Matterhorn would feel like if they stopped all refurbs on it for the past 25 years. I appreciate the classic music-free experience that is more about drops in the darkness than DL's helix turns in the darkness, but boy is it rough!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

mmm peoplemover

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

The best part is that because they're using LIMs instead of Goodyear tires, the ride can change it's acceleration to speed up while travelling outside and slow down inside buildings. It also is much less prone to breakdowns, which is why I quickly stopped riding the DL Peoplemover at night.

It also goes right through the middle of the Space dome and then travels halfway around along the inside edge. You have time to adjust your eyes to the dark, squint and see if you can recognize the track against the projections on the roof, hear the screams of the riders, see people loading below, and follow the day-glo stripes of the rockets moving around in the beast.

And if Space Mountain is reported as broken and the line is outrageously backed up, get on the Peoplemover and see if the lights are on inside. You will find yourself thinking "Come on, faster! Faster!!" as you head towards the SM building. Unfortunately, it was dark when I tried this, but I did see guys working on the load dock.

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Like I said this a red alert rumor and might be the milling of an honest Imagineer who HOPES this could be done to the track but more than likely is a pipedream not worth persuing for the cost and return.
    Sadly, you're probably right. Still, it was surprising to me that it is being even considered after the Rocket Rods disaster.

• Silly Bird?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    ..the Peoplemover was a ride that had few fans until they announced a replacement for it. It joins Mr. Lincoln, Country Bears, Mission to Mars, World of Motion, Toad Hall East, and Horizons as attractions that were just kind of "there" for people and weren't exactly must-visit blockbusters.. Imagineering still knows that the PM2 is not Indy, and once it has it's initial "ooh new ride" moment, turnstile numbers will quickly decrease.

...I think it should become a Skyway-esque transport. The Skyway kept numbers up because it also served an important function to visitors as it cruised along. You didn't ride the Skyway just because you wanted to or just for the thrills, you sometimes would ride it because it was a record-setting day and the people traffic below was too much, or there was a parade going through the middle of the park and you needed to get to the other side in less than half an hour.
    PM never got a central audience. Even at expiration, for those of us that remember the 98 project, the notion of Rods was a more exhilirating development, appealing and thrilling to every guest. No die hard PM fan stood up then and demanded the return of their slow moving transport. The current arguments for PM, some five years after Rods closed, has more to do with gaining a balance in attractions in the area.

I think it is a lot like the dessert menu at a nice restaurant. There are going to be the Chocolate Lava Mocha Rasberry Crisp Tarts with Orange Liqueur infusion (Space Mountain), the Peach Pie with mint and strawberry reduction (Star Tours), Rice Pudding with apricot preserves (Autopia), and Creme Brulee (Subs/Nemo 2007). But there also has to be the tamest and least crowd rioting selection as well, the Ice Cream/Sorbet offering. No one goes to the restaurant clamoring for it, but it needs to be there to offer the light end of the spectrum, an easy, soothing option that is like a get out of waiting free card (cuz its always right there and ready for you). But, while it is Disneyland, could we not at least demand something very special within this framework (Gelati and Italian Glacees)?

As for the Skyway, I believe its large crowd and long wait was do mostly to the sufferable capacity. Rods also had a terrible ride count and it got the axe as well, though for different reasons. It is too bad though, these queue's did get people out of the way on a busy summer day.
    "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
    A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

And if Space Mountain is reported as broken and the line is outrageously backed up, get on the Peoplemover and see if the lights are on inside. You will find yourself thinking "Come on, faster! Faster!!" as you head towards the SM building. Unfortunately, it was dark when I tried this, but I did see guys working on the load dock.
    Timed that perfect on accident once...got in and we were like "the lights are on...THE LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!!!" Cameras out photos away!
    It was nice.

WDW's TTA loads from a speedway. The Astro Orbitor goes up an oddly colored (but not as odd as it was back in the day) elevator after waiting in a simple swtichback queue at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    WDW's TTA loads from a speedway. The Astro Orbitor goes up an oddly colored (but not as odd as it was back in the day) elevator after waiting in a simple swtichback queue at ground level.
    DL's was two speed ramps and the rockets thing was an ugly looking elevator painted an ugly two tone of white and Road Cone Orange. All of that's gone now, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mission Seagull
    As for the Skyway, I believe its large crowd and long wait was do mostly to the sufferable capacity. Rods also had a terrible ride count and it got the axe as well, though for different reasons. It is too bad though, these queue's did get people out of the way on a busy summer day.
    Compared to Skyway, Peoplemover is nearly an omnimover ride, with just a few seat lengths between cars.

•   
    • Minion

DL's was two speed ramps and the rockets thing was an ugly looking elevator painted an ugly two tone of white and Road Cone Orange. All of that's gone now, of course.
    That "ugly looking elevator" was reminisant of the elevator system used by Cape Canaveral.. Acutally it is still in use for the shuttle system...
    Check out my other blog:

• Basking in birthday love

The problem, and Disney knows it, is that the Peoplemover was a ride that had few fans until they announced a replacement for it. It joins Mr. Lincoln, Country Bears, Mission to Mars, World of Motion, Toad Hall East, and Horizons as attractions that were just kind of "there" for people and weren't exactly must-visit blockbusters until Disney plotted their demise, and then they became fan favorites by virtue of their expiration.
    Oh good Lord do I hear you on that one. My lead tells me that during the Race to a Million, when we were trying to get a million people to see Lincoln before he left, we actually had to take people by the arm and physically pull them into the Opera House to reach the goal. One day this past week, I decided to keep track of how often I was asked, "Is Mr. Lincoln ever coming back?" In a 12 hour day, it came to 26 times, and that wasn't counting the times I overheard guests talking about it.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    That "ugly looking elevator" was reminisant of the elevator system used by Cape Canaveral.. Acutally it is still in use for the shuttle system...
    Yeah but you had a mainly white Tomorrowland and then that huge industrial orange tower...it was ugly, as reminisant as it was. The new colors (WDW) at least allow it to blend in more.

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Someone mentioned having PM show scenes with DL past, present, & future (or something like that). Wonder if he meant something like EPCOT's Journey Into Your Imagination. I went on that ride once (I think it was a soft opening because it wasn't listed on the maps) and the ride strolled through scenes and stopped for scenes as well (kinda like a parade show stop I guess). So I guess if something similar to the way JIYI's/PM ride tech would be an interesting combo for the tracks above. Not only do you get the leisure ride, but also a show scene (and probably a speeder ride when you're over Autopia tracks). But like most people have said, what kind of show scenes can you have? Teleportation, time-travel, genetic experimentation...?? And is there any room possible to install these show scenes AND take a peek into the TL ride...?? Oh yes, don't forget the video monitors .

I really dislike the CARS idea for TL. DCA needs it more. From what I know about the Nemo storyline ride, I think it slides more into TL than CARS can.

That was me! Thanks.

My suggestions is a scene that is a thick piece of glass next to the ride so that as the ride vehicle pulls up next to it and you look through the glass you see a view of Tomorrowland as it stands...pull up to the next station and look through the glass but areas of the glass are painted blocking views of modern the style and inserting object in an overlay over the current look...then pull forward again and this time the glass shows youwhat it looked like before the park, pull forward again and the view gives you a glimpse at what Tommorrowland might look like in the future.

Basically a good effect for a time travel ride on the heals of the 50th is use it as a way to explore the history of the park with a time travel ride...it would be fun and interactive.

• Banned User

Wow, i wanna ride the TTA so bad now! IAnd I like the DL time idea! Sounds cool!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567