Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why can't we have a Jolly Holiday with Mary?

I've been wondering for ages why the heck there are no Mary Poppins themed attractions at any of the Disney parks. The characters appear every once and a while, but no ride for that classic film. Is it because the author of Poppins won't allow it? or what? Note to CM Matt and Mr. Lassetter: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING US A MARY POPPINS THEMED RIDE AND SOON!

now that that request has been put out there...

I was wondering what sort of Mary Poppins attraction would you guys like to see? I have some ideas, but no time to post them right now, I will soon though!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Defying Gravity

Re: Why can't we have a Jolly Holiday with Mary?

A Mary poppins themed ride would make for a great Fantasyland attraction. I imagine something where you ride carrousel horses that "jumps" of the track and move through great music numbers.
    You say I´m a bitch like it´s a bad thing.

London BABY!!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by winniepooh
    A Mary poppins themed ride would make for a great Fantasyland attraction. I imagine something where you ride carrousel horses that "jumps" of the track and move through great music numbers.
    That idea is nice, but logistically, you couldn't have a ride that was actually on a carousel horse. Kids couldn't ride by themselves, the disabled couldn't ride, etc.

A ride themed around the chalk drawings might work.

It seems to me that there is more scope for a stage show than a ride in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• All you need is LOVE

I would love a mary ride omg how cool would it be.

• Senior Minion

Flying between the Chimney stacks, Having a quick cup of tea floating in the living room,feeding the birds, that just sounds grand! As well the penguins and Bert dancing around. That would be great.

But seriously, though what would the vehicle be? An umbrella? Nope. I think A_hyperbole is right. A stage show would be great in the Fantasyland theatres. The cast could be huge! You could have the "sweeps" dancing through the audience, then have Admiral Boom with his cannon up above the city, kite scenes, Feed the Birds scene? So many possibilities.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I recent dug up my childhood photos, and noticed that members of my family were posing with Poppins and the Sweeps. It made me wonder why Poppins hasn't got a larger presence today. It was obviously an important part of Disney history and HUGE hit...

...I guess it isn't as marketable as it was back then.

Maybe a new shooting gallery? I'm sure some people would like to take a crack at Julie Andrews.

(I kid because I love).
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

I'm anxious to see the stage show that's in England now...all the press I've seen has been great, I like the carousel horse idea, it could be fashioned similar to the old E.T. vehicles Universal used. Loading could be a huge turntable to keep with the carousel idea--kind of like loading on GRR--done right the horses would even go up & down...

• ...TWO BITS!

1) A Mary Poppins stage show in Fantasyland sounds great to me.
    2) Personally, I don't think a MP ride will work. But a ride vehicle I would have used would be those benches that are on the carousseuls. With the carousseul in FL, they took out those benches and use them in Dumbo's Circus train ride. Much more comfortable than riding horses.

More comfortable and detailed than this pic of course if Disney were to build such an attraction.

Actually, a better fit for a Mary Poppins attraction is a 3rd DLR park idea me and others kind of mushed up. Something like EPCOT/DisneySea/Animal Kingdom hybrid. Can put Mary Poppins in its appropiate land in the London section of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbigguy
    Loading could be a huge turntable to keep with the carousel idea--kind of like loading on GRR--done right the horses would even go up & down...
    HEHE. Now that'd be really neat and something I would like to see. Another example I think would be PeopleMover and (I think) EPCOT's Journey Into Your Imagination attractions.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

I've mentioned it several times before, that I think a restaurant themed to the Jolly Holiday section of the movie would be awesome. They could makeover the carnation plaza (the area to the left of the castle) into a wonderful themed eatery. They could even incorporate a character meet and great.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Mary has been on the boards before, just for one reason or another she's been cut out.
    1st int eh late 60s WDW's Fantasyland waas to be made up of differnt but similar dark rides to Disneylands. Sleeping Beauty for Snow White, Ichabod for Mr Toad...and Mary Poppins for Peter Pan. Roy Disney in his ultimate cost cutting move (I'm kidding, sarcasm, Roy Disney was great) cut that plan and had imagineers just use the rides that were already there (Disneyland), he had enough of a project going over budget that they didn't need to do all new dark rides when the Disneyland ones were popular (similar story to PoTC).
    2nd, there was to be somekind of Mary Poppins spinner (ie Dumbo) added to Disneyland as part of New Fantasyland 1983...but that got cut along with the Pooh ride presumably because budget could be spent on something other than what Fantasyland already had (Dumbo).

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    But seriously, though what would the vehicle be? An umbrella? Nope. I think A_hyperbole is right.
    The ride vehicle doesn't have to come directly from the movie. It could be a dark ride like Peter Pan. There's nowhere in that film that they fly around in pirate ships, is there? They took an idea and stretched it a little to make what is probably my favorite Fantasyland attraction.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    1st int eh late 60s
    Ahhh, yes. Internet-Speak at its finest.

Sorry, tloolgb, couldn't resist. Nothing personal!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by edtsch
    It could be a dark ride like Peter Pan. There's nowhere in that film that they fly around in pirate ships, is there?
    Actually, they do fly in Captain Hook's ship at the end of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Here would be my idea. sorry if my ideas are similar to anybody elses, im posting this before i read the rest of the thread. But i thought you could have mary poppins as a classic dark ride peter pan stlye with the track overhead. you could be riding a giant kite going into the childrens room and then going over london, then there would be a chalk drawing of a jolly holiday and you hop thru that to the supercalifragilisticexpialidouses scene with race horses and the penguins just like in the movie and then you see another chalk painting of london and fly over it again, and you see chimminey sweeps and mary poppins and the kids dancing with them on roof tops and then somehow you would get to the end were you see mary poppins flying away witht he kids waving good bye, possibly flying a kite.

Or take the old motorboat cruise area and make that a jolly holliday were you could see mary poppins and friends and you could be riding either, turtles, or penguins.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by edtsch
    Ahhh, yes. Internet-Speak at its finest.

Sorry, tloolgb, couldn't resist. Nothing personal!
    Yeah yeah whatever typing too fast or something.

Actually whoever said umbrellas yes I do believe the WDW version was supposed to have you flying in Umbrellas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast