Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)



    Was this suppose to be the 1998 Tomorrowland- cause this one looks pretty cool to me! Any out takes at why this one looks so good and well the one today, haha, doesn't?


    (Picture from MasterGracey)
    Last edited by A Disney Dreamer; 03-22-2006 at 08:16 PM.

  2. #2

    • Lowering Expectations
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Budget cuts.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:


  3. #3

    • Solar Flare Foamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    558

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Kinda looks like World's Tommorrowland.



  4. #4

    • Mountain Dew User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    3,225
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Good question. the tomorrowland doesn't look bad, but the picture looks better.


  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    347

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    If you look at the picture carefully, Tommorowland 98 did pretty much look like that. The picture is just a stylized artists rendering. Of course there are a couple of details which never made it to the final product.

  6. #6

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    Budget cuts.
    indeed.
    Check out my other blog:

  7. #7

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Yup, exactly ....

    The walkway widing (in the entrance) was NOT done.
    The video displays were NOT put in.
    Rocket Rods never got banked turns.
    They went crazy on the gold paint.
    Observatron was junk (and hard to maintain?)
    Went for the enhancement-by-paint solution instead of redoing things/facades
    Couple of new attractions that never got off the ground.
    Atlantis bombed. So the supposed Subs redo never happened.

    Basically, what we got was a pale version of what was original
    concept. which should have been similar to DLP's Discoveryland concept.

    Anyway, that's what I remember... a sad chapter in all. I'm really glad
    we're past it!

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Fantasyland
    Posts
    240

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    It looks cluttered. What are those loops around the Astro Orbiter?

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Fantasyland
    Posts
    240

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Yup, exactly ....

    The walkway widing (in the entrance) was NOT done.
    The video displays were NOT put in.
    Rocket Rods never got banked turns.
    They went crazy on the gold paint.
    Observatron was junk (and hard to maintain?)
    Went for the enhancement-by-paint solution instead of redoing things/facades
    Couple of new attractions that never got off the ground.
    Atlantis bombed. So the supposed Subs redo never happened.

    Basically, what we got was a pale version of what was original
    concept. which should have been similar to DLP's Discoveryland concept.

    Anyway, that's what I remember... a sad chapter in all. I'm really glad
    we're past it!
    I didn't know all that was suppose to happen. It would have been cool to have the video screens. What was the Observation suppose to do?

  10. #10

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Simple: where is the viewer standing in that picture? About ten feet above the top of Photo Supply is my best guess. TL '98 was designed to look fabulous from an angle that wasn't physically possible for a person to experience. The view from the ground... not so much.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  11. #11

    • Solar Flare Foamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    558

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Simple: where is the viewer standing in that picture? About ten feet above the top of Photo Supply is my best guess. TL '98 was designed to look fabulous from an angle that wasn't physically possible for a person to experience. The view from the ground... not so much.
    The original sketches for Disneyland are from a similar angle. Still came out to be a nice place.



  12. #12

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,824

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Well the retro monorail in the background was just delayed...the rest of it looks like the sub-par Tomorrowland that arrived. It looks like what DL got...not a spectacular concept piece.

  13. #13

    • Basking in birthday love
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Claremont bubble
    Posts
    2,269

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi
    The original sketches for Disneyland are from a similar angle. Still came out to be a nice place.
    Yeah, but they also paid attention to the ground elevations. I've seen some of the other art used in designing TL '98, and the best-looking stuff was all from similarly high angles.

    Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

    "It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

  14. #14

    • Solar Flare Foamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    558

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Yeah, but they also paid attention to the ground elevations. I've seen some of the other art used in designing TL '98, and the best-looking stuff was all from similarly high angles.
    Oh I understand. I'm just saying that it looks to be more of a case of poor execution as opposed to poor design.



  15. #15

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: I'm confused? (about Tomorrowland)

    I think my favorite picture of that is how they show some big swervy thing, an Astro Orbiter over water, and even a freakin' BUBBLE TOP MONORAIL but they still show no banking on the PM track and no subs in the water.

    And while we're posting TL 98 concept art
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 03-22-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Confused..
    By JeffNwen in forum Break Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
  2. I'm 'confused'
    By Tinkerbelle in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 11:12 AM
  3. I'm so confused
    By minnietoo in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 07:22 PM
  4. I'm Confused..
    By Disney_Dreamz in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
  5. ok I am soo confused
    By Snacks in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •