Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• wasting time

Sad No More Original 'E-Ticket' Attractions For Disneyland?

I was talking with innerSpaceman @ another message board and he raised an interesting question. Ever since the opening of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in September 1979, Disneyland has not received a single new 'E-Ticket' attraction that was based on an original concept. Rides such as Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones and even the upcoming Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage are all based on movies.

Is the era of building major rides based on original ideas over ?

Re: No More Original 'E-Ticket' Attractions For Disneyland?

California Adventure is a kinda fun little attraction....

Cool Re: No More Original 'E-Ticket' Attractions For Disneyland?

You won't find a parking garage like Mickey and Friends anywhere else in the world!

• Banned User

It is high time that Disney starts thinking about what is best for the park. They need to stop being lazy and trying to promote every darn thing in the park for a movie. The Disneyland from 1955-1970 which was based on a 50/50 ratio of original to movies attractions is long dead. For that matter there were actually more original attractions over the period of Disneyland's life then there were movie promoted rides. It was obvious Walt Disney liked to promote certain things but he did not sell out like what Disney is doing today. Everest is the step in the right direction but again it is one big copy of the matterhorn's concept. When Disney builds something like western river expedition then I will reconsider what I said.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I'm not sure why there is an emphasis on E-tickets and complete originality.

Indiana Jones is a terrific attraction, irregardless of its movie origins. Indeed, some of the most enduring attractions - Jungle Cruise and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, for example - have been based on Disney properties. The reopening of the Subs will be based on Finding Nemo, which were originally based on 20,000 Leagues. It WAS a great attraction, and will be in the future.

As Lacrossedragon has pointed out, DCA is a whole new park with a couple of E-Tickets - Tower of Terror, Soarin' etc - that has developed in the last few years.

I guess the point is that if a ride is a good ride, it will take on a life - and therefore an originality - of its own. Hell, MOST of the current attractions are based on movies one way or the other. The key, therefore, is finding movies that have appropriate ride potential rather than trying to force a ride out of a movie.

As for the "era of original ride building" being over, it seems highly unlikely. WDW has just got Everest, and a whole new park has opened in Hong Kong. Give Disney a few years to move back to California. They can't build up every park simultaneously!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• I was deleted.

Oooh! Good point EM. And that my friends.. is why Disney has EPCOT and Disney's Animal Kingdom.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    I'm not sure why there is an emphasis on E-tickets and complete originality.

Indiana Jones is a terrific attraction, irregardless of its movie origins. Indeed, some of the most enduring attractions - Jungle Cruise and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, for example - have been based on Disney properties. The reopening of the Subs will be based on Finding Nemo, which were originally based on 20,000 Leagues. It WAS a great attraction, and will be in the future.

As Lacrossedragon has pointed out, DCA is a whole new park with a couple of E-Tickets - Tower of Terror, Soarin' etc - that has developed in the last few years.

I guess the point is that if a ride is a good ride, it will take on a life - and therefore an originality - of its own. Hell, MOST of the current attractions are based on movies one way or the other. The key, therefore, is finding movies that have appropriate ride potential rather than trying to force a ride out of a movie.

As for the "era of original ride building" being over, it seems highly unlikely. WDW has just got Everest, and a whole new park has opened in Hong Kong. Give Disney a few years to move back to California. They can't build up every park simultaneously!
    The only reason why Indy worked so well is because Indiana Jones the movie was an icon in the movie industry, the same for Star Wars. They are masterpiece movies and you cannot possibly make every single ride out of super hits like these, and if you cant then why force a ride with a weak movie theme? Rides like Buzz Lightyear have way less value and are just a cheap and easy way out for Disney to make new rides. The key here is the theme has to appeal to everyone. Rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates appeal to every generation and age, Buzz Lightyear does not. To add insult to injury they copy these weak movie type rides to all of the parks.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 03-22-2006 at 06:20 PM.

•   
    • debating what to put here

I would argue that, even if it isn't at Disneyland, Soarin' is an E-Ticket attraction based on an original concept. I would love to see a new ride that didn't have a movie tie-in at disneyland however. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon though.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser
    I would argue that, even if it isn't at Disneyland, Soarin' is an E-Ticket attraction based on an original concept. I would love to see a new ride that didn't have a movie tie-in at disneyland however. Sadly, I don't see it happening anytime soon though.
    The problem is that Disneyland is way overdue for an original concept from the ground up. All we can hope is that the next peoplemover does not have a pixar overlay.

Dont you wish Disney would spend the correct amount of money and give us a masterpiece like Pirates again? They have yet to do this in the past 20 years so I wont hold my breath.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    The only reason why Indy worked so well is because Indiana Jones the movie was an icon in the movie industry, the same for Star Wars. They are masterpiece movies and you cannot possibly make every single ride out of super hits like these. Rides like Buzz Lightyear have way less value and are just an easy way out for Disney to make new rides. The key here is the theme has to appeal to everyone. Rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates appeal to every generation and age, Buzz Lightyear does not.
    Nor do you have to. Buzz Lightyear isn't MEANT to be as huge as Indy, and I wouldn't even compare the two.

The point is that simply because it is based on a movie, doesn't mean it won't have its own originality. Indiana Jones DOES partly work because of its iconic status, but if it was a dog of a ride, there would be no helping it. Look at the Terminator 3D thing at Universal. That looks particularly shonky in parts, and has one of the most dodgy queuing areas ever. Terminator has a successful set of movies behind it, and that alone doesn't save it from dogishness.

Anyways, Disney doesn't HAVE to make every ride a mega-hit. Indeed, there are only a handful out of the 50 or so attractions - Indy, Star Tours, BTMR, Space Mt, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, HM, Pirates - that you could truly call 'E-tickets' or event rides anyway. The whole park is populated with smaller darkrides and tiny attractions that are largely based on films, and largely provide much of the charm of the place.

All that said, it probably IS time for a major new attraction to open up. I think the Nemo Subs will be just the ticket. I'm not saying every major E Ticket has to be based on a movie, nor do I believe that more movies should be represented in the park (but they should ). What I do believe is that a ride based on a movie, even a BAD movie, does not preclude it from being a terrific original ride.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Defeats the Huns

With the advent of SYNERGY, I don't think Disney will ever go back to an ORIGINAL CONCEPT... synergy is proven to work and Disney is a company that has got it down pat. Didn't they start the term? I forget in Traditions class. but yeah... I would LOVE for an original concept too - but I guess i just don't see it happening.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Nor do you have to. Buzz Lightyear isn't MEANT to be as huge as Indy, and I wouldn't even compare the two.

The point is that simply because it is based on a movie, doesn't mean it won't have its own originality. Indiana Jones DOES partly work because of its iconic status, but if it was a dog of a ride, there would be no helping it. Look at the Terminator 3D thing at Universal. That looks particularly shonky in parts, and has one of the most dodgy queuing areas ever. Terminator has a successful set of movies behind it, and that alone doesn't save it from dogishness.

Anyways, Disney doesn't HAVE to make every ride a mega-hit. Indeed, there are only a handful out of the 50 or so attractions - Indy, Star Tours, BTMR, Space Mt, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, HM, Pirates - that you could truly call 'E-tickets' or event rides anyway. The whole park is populated with smaller darkrides and tiny attractions that are largely based on films, and largely provide much of the charm of the place.

All that said, it probably IS time for a major new attraction to open up. I think the Nemo Subs will be just the ticket. I'm not saying every major E Ticket has to be based on a movie, nor do I believe that more movies should be represented in the park (but they should ). What I do believe is that a ride based on a movie, even a BAD movie, does not preclude it from being a terrific original ride.
    All I am going off of is that Walt Disney would try to make a hit everytime regardless of how small or large the attraction was, not just settle for something cheaper since it is a smaller ride. The quality speaks for itself when a ride can last 40-50 years. I can't say that for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters by any means because I know that it will not last that long. Rides like Peter Pan were made when technology was no where near what it is today and it amazes me just as much if not more than Buzz today.
    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 03-22-2006 at 06:44 PM.

• Master of Disaster

is there really such a thing as an original concept anywhere in disneyland?

a haunted mansion ... not original
    traveling through space... not original,
    a runaway mine train... not original.

what it really comes down to is how you look at whats original and what isnt. What i think you mean is a ride not based on a movie or cartoon first.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15
    is there really such a thing as an original concept anywhere in disneyland?

a haunted mansion ... not original
    traveling through space... not original,
    a runaway mine train... not original.

what it really comes down to is how you look at whats original and what isnt. What i think you mean is a ride not based on a movie or cartoon first.
    The concept down to the bare minimum is not original but the story and environment within is totally unique. You also forgot about Pirates. You also forget what it takes to make an original music score and concept art for the attraction. There is absolutely nothing for them to go off of such as a movie they can watch over and over again and write down ideas. It is way harder to make a Pirates or HM then a Finding Nemo.

• o Tom o

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    Is the era of building major rides based on original ideas over ?
    I keep say a Thor vs Loki (non-Marvel inspired) viking watercoaster ride would be original and easy to fill with original animatronic figures that would be reminiscent of POTC or HM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast