Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Quality not quantity

Tram service to hotel?

With the monorail in shuttle mode I was wondering, is there a tram that goes from the DL hotel to the esplanade and if so what time does it start in the morning (can I use it to get to the gate before early entry)?

Thanks.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Tram service to hotel?

Disney has not started tram service to the hotels, and has no plans to do it when the Monorail closes this fall.

Your choices are to walk, or take a cab.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Quality not quantity

Humm..

Well I'm sure that the decision NOT to run a tram has nothing to do with the fact that you are now essentially forced to walk right by all those shops and restaurants...

I guess I'll have to get a new pair of shoes for my trip...

Thanks.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner
    Humm..

Well I'm sure that the decision NOT to run a tram has nothing to do with the fact that you are now essentially forced to walk right by all those shops and restaurants...

I guess I'll have to get a new pair of shoes for my trip...

Thanks.
    No there's no ulterior motive at all... If you have handicap problems they can probably rustle up a driver and a golf cart, and take you over to the scooter rental at the Esplanade, but I doubt they will offer that service to all the guests. There aren't enough carts on property for that.

And as to the new shoes, fugeddaboudit. The whole esplanade is textured stamped concrete, exposed aggregate concrete, and various expansion joints and swirls all over. You'll rattle your fillings loose trying to roller skate or Wheely on it.

And two more good reasons - Don't know how old you are, but you were looking at the Adult Size page... Your reflexes have to be spot-on to handle skates or you'll be doing a lot of face-plants on cement. Road Rash, broken wrists and ankles, nasty sprains and bruises... And older people don't heal as fast or as well as an 8-year-old when they get hurt skating. Not the way I'd want to spend a vacation.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman

And as to the new shoes...

Psssst, Hey Bruce. The shoes were a joke. Why would I need new shoes when my Harley will easily roll down the esplanade and right up to the front gate?

-Mark Twain

There's no excuse for Disney to not run some sort of shuttle from the hotels to the East Esplanade.

The double-decker jitneys could be pressed back into service and operated on city streets, at the very least.

I also think Disney should open the gate on the East side of the Las Brisas Courtyard, so that Grand Californian guests can avoid having to walk past a tacky shopping mall to enter Disneyland. And, I would love to see a way to pass from the courtyard to the second set of elevators by using a passageway near Storyteller's Cafe. (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...c%20CA%2092802)

Similarly, there is no reason the Paradise Pier Hotel guests should be made to walk all the way around the cinemas to reach the monorail station or Downtown Disney when a passageway exists between AMC and the Lego Imagination Center. (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...c%20CA%2092802)

Now that transportation is being added to the Performance Cooridor in D.C.A., as I've long advocated, perhaps Disney will reopen the Paradise Pier Hotel entrance to D.C.A. or, better yet, dismantle Mulholland Madness and build a new, even closer entrance. (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...c%20CA%2092802) In that way, Paradise Pier Hotel guests could potentially use the vehicles to reach the main entrance of Disneyland, too.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^ But the GCH entrance was placed there for a reason, to keep the Downtown Disney Tenants happy. There is no way they will make it easier to avoid walking thru the shops.

• A Pirate's life for me!

While staying at the DL Hotel last Thanksgiving (and on other previous trips), upon check-in, they offered us daily cart service to the Park entrance (we had a handicapped room reserved).

And people wonder why we stay on property...

• Quality not quantity

Thanks for the tips.

I expect our plan will be to walk via DTD for early entry, and take the Monorail back at the end of the day. I'd guess the monorail is swamped right after remember. So we'll either beat-feet after the show and blaze a trail to the monorail or hang out in the park and catch it a bit later. Perhaps while the second Fantasmic is running and hopefully the crowds are a bit less.....

-Mark Twain

• Mickeyfan3

I'm kind of torn....we stayed at Paradiese Pier last month (previously Pan Pacific). I don't mind the walk at all, but I was expecting a shuttle since we had a 3 year old and 9 year old w/ us, and the 9 year old is obviously too big for a strolelr and the 3 year old is pushing it. No chance - walk either ALL they way through to DLH and around by ESPN Zone, or cross a BUSY street to get to GCH and cut through that way. Saved a bit of time, but I was really worried about crossing w/ the kids. Thankfully - the traffic was never that heavy, and my 9 year old is a trooper. Not one complaint.

But what about the families that stay there, with 3, 4, or more kids, maybe some grandparents thrown in the mix.....that's quite a haul. I think at the very least there should be shuttle service from PAradise Pier to the Park Entrances, or to where they shuttle drops of day trippers from the parking lot. It also might cut down on those gawd aweful double and tripple wide strollers that were roaming the park!!! They take up WAY too much room. (Hint people - get tandem strollers.....)

• Basking in birthday love

There actually is a Paradise Pier entrance gate, over by the big ugly dinosaur. But I don't know if it's ever been used. It would be a nice amenity, but I don't see them adding it for the cheap hotel, especially since a private entrance to DCA is one of the perks of GCH. Sad, really.

And I'm totally with you, Mickeyfan3: tandem strollers are great (my mom used one for my twin older siblings, and also for me and my younger sister), double- and triplewides should return to the fires of hell which spawned them.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

It's not that far of a walk, kids or no kids.
    Secondly, most of the shops will be closed at early-entry time.

Slightly off-topic: PI, that is a hot website!! I had no idea such detail existed.

Perhaps a shuttle that takes PP hotel guests to the M&F structure shuttle?
    Last edited by sediment; 03-23-2006 at 01:41 PM.

• A Pirate's life for me!

They did have a shuttle (via the Tram) when they were using that parking lot behind (and next to) the PPH. We used it quite often. But they changed the Tram route and they no longer drop folks off in that lot (at least the last time that we stayed at the PPH).

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The special Paradise Pier Entrance to DCA has been closed for almost 2 years now. Now, all three Disney owned hotel guests are allowed to use the GCH entrance for First Entry.

ANd there used to be the Double Decker Bus that ran from the Paradise Pier to the Parking Structure, but was dropped shortly after September 11th, and there are no plans to bring it back.

If they did, they would have to redo the road on the west end of Downtown Disney that runs next to the Disneyland Hotel with vehicle barricades to prevent entry to DtD, similar to what the Valet area has.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Slightly off-topic: PI, that is a hot website!! I had no idea such detail existed.
    I also recommend that you download and install Google Earth, which is free software that maps satellite imagery onto three-dimensional models so that you can fly through a completely photorealistic cyberspace.

The advantage to Microsoft's service is that it offers the "Bird's-Eye Views", which show the ground at lower angles and from multiple directions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast