15 36.59%
  • I don't care, just put SOMETHING up there

13 31.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

A new DLR PeopleMover (and show scenes) idea

Sorry this is such a long post.

Someone mentioned having PM show scenes with DL past, present, & future (or something like that). Wonder if he meant something like EPCOT's Journey Into Your Imagination. I went on that ride once (I think it was a soft opening because it wasn't listed on the maps) and the ride strolled through scenes and stopped for scenes as well (kinda like a parade show stop I guess). So I guess if something similar to the way JIYI's/PM ride tech would be an interesting combo for the tracks above. Not only do you get the leisure ride, but also a show scene (and probably a speeder ride when you're over Autopia tracks). But like most people have said, what kind of show scenes can you have? Teleportation, time-travel, genetic experimentation...?? And is there any room possible to install these show scenes AND take a peek into the TL ride...?? Oh yes, don't forget the video monitors.
    Could Disney use the Rocket Rods ride tech for a PM-type ride?

How about these show scenes for an idea:

The queue & load station is designed as the command center for TTA. Video monitors of Tom Morrow or some other original character will come on for safety spiel and layout the story behind TTA. Load in the same fashion as the old PM.

In Star Tours, the ride slows to a crawl so you get a better, longer view of the Star Tours queue. Then you go through blast doors to where the Star Tours extended queue is. But instead of looking down at more queue, it's a Star Wars show scene. Darth Vader VS Luke Skywalker AA with lightsabers (ala DLP's dueling pirates in POTC). The extended queue is still below under this new show scene. If the 360 spinning is used on the vehicles, they'll spin left so you look at the scene. Behind Vadar are Storm Troopers blasting laser guns past the duel at Rebels behind Luke Skywalker. Either the whole scene is enclosed behind glass so lasers can be seen using smoke and guests' don't trash the physical scene. Then Luke turns towards us and uses the Force to excel our vehicles out of the room. DARTH VADER: "Join me, and we can rule the galaxy!". LUKE: "No! (towards us) Get out of here while you still have the chance!". Our video screen displays Tomorrowland Transit Authority. The commander there says he's getting us out of the launch bay and into outer space. We go into a starfield space with miniatures of Empire & Rebel ships zooming by us (miniatures on tracks). TTA: "Lightspeed to Cyber Space!".

Enter lightspeed effects then transitions to entering the TRON cyber world alongside/ between HISTA (a Tron attraction would be my preference) and Space Moutain. Your vehicle slows to a crawl. Since Space Mountain is closed up, I figure a new TRON Superspeed tunnel would be the most appropiate. So the walls and ceilings will be covered in blacklit circuit lines inspired by the movie and then some. On one side of the wall (depending which could have more room for a show scene), will be a miniture of what the cyber world is like (think miniture display of EPCOT). And then with digital projections or a series of flat digital plasma screens hanging on walls to your left and right will be the new SUPER SPEED section. I don't remember the original, but I hear there were Lightcycles and fast cars zooming by with wind effects. Then you're "teleported" out of the TRON world and go outside. This is where you're on the left of Space Mountain and go over Redd Rockett's.

EDIT: Here's another idea to replace the previous idea I had below: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=19

Inside the Innoventions building will be like a tribute to Captain EO. Your vehicle enters the world of the alien planet from that 3D film. Then you are stopped, surrounded by alien guards from the wall to your left. And on your right is the Alien Queen. All simple AAs. Then TTA puts on music as their gift. It's MJ's "Changing the World" song (not sure what it's really called). Then maybe strobe lights and smoke effects appear. Then a blackout and air blasts in your face (like in JIYI's scene when your facing a wall, blackout, air blasts, and a family of figments are playing in front of you). Well during this blackout, the 3 alien guards spin around because behind them are the good robots from the EO movie. The a wall goes up to close up the Alien Queen. And a wall beside that is opened to reveal the good queen. The music continues on and they wave you good bye.

Now you're outside over Autopia. The vehicle will be running a little faster (between the speed of original PM and Rocket Rods). Enjoy traveling music. Then you slow down as you approach the Buzz building.

From what I think, the only thing you COULD see in the Buzz building is the queue & un/loading station. So TTA guests get a peek at that. Your vehicle slows to a crawl. All the while the tunnel you're in is themed to Buzz Lightyear's Star Command. And simple Little Green Men AAs will be there greeting you. The red alarm lights go off, Buzz is on the TTA screen urguing for volunteers to respond to Star Command in assitance to defeat the Evil Emperor Zurg. The LGMs get back to work on the space station.

Then as you approach the end of the ride, TTA thanks you for experiencing TTA and have a safe visit in Tomorrowland.

That's the basic idea I have for the tracks above. What do you think?
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-24-2006 at 01:18 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: A new DLR PeopleMover (and show scenes) idea

I think using the Rocket Rods ride technology would be a bad idea. The Rocket Rods were self powered vehicles. A WEDway is not self powered, but powered by the track it rides upon. Also, the constant changes in speed, while much greater than what you discuss, are part of why Rocket Rods was always down. I think the LIM system of WDW's WEDway would be much more appropriate.

I really like the idea overall. More elaborate building scenes would definitely add to the exscitement and overall enjoyability of the attraction.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Captain EO. I think he just sort of needs to remain in the past. Compound that with the trouble and bad air around Mr. Jackson I think it just Disney stay away from Captain EO.

• ...TWO BITS!

Well MJ won't make any appearance whatsoever. Just his music.

Although TTA in WDW uses LIM, the layout needs to be flat. DLR's PM track is not flat. I hope you understood, if Disney could use the RR ride tech, I don't mean to bring it back up to the speeds it went before. I mean like around the same speed as PM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Technology has advanced and I'm sure a magnetic system or something similar could be used. I just feel that self powered vehicles are the antithesis of a WEDway.

• Circle of Ancients

They use LSM's on CA Screamin' going up the lift hill ... I don't see why it couldn't be done on the PM track.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Really? I thought the LIM was just where the inital launch/ rocks were at. The LIM tech reachs up to the hill as well? Well in that case, YEAH, but that LIM tech in new PM !

-Jurassic Park

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yeah, there is no chain lift.

But they aren't LIM's (Linear Induction Motors) they are LSM's (Linear Synchronus Motors).

I'm such a coaster geek.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The issue may be that the LSMs are still straight and level, albiet at an incline. The PeopleMover track isn't as straigt edged. But I doubt that would really be an issue today.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    I think using the Rocket Rods ride technology would be a bad idea. The Rocket Rods were self powered vehicles. A WEDway is not self powered, but powered by the track it rides upon. Also, the constant changes in speed, while much greater than what you discuss, are part of why Rocket Rods was always down. I think the LIM system of WDW's WEDway would be much more appropriate.

I really like the idea overall. More elaborate building scenes would definitely add to the exscitement and overall enjoyability of the attraction.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Captain EO. I think he just sort of needs to remain in the past. Compound that with the trouble and bad air around Mr. Jackson I think it just Disney stay away from Captain EO.
    lazyboy hit all my points... completely agree with him... even the MJ part.

• that's right!

If I remember WDW's Peoplemover correctly, it slows down and speeds up several times during the ride. Fast for outside when there's not much to see, and slow for when it's indoors and there are things to look at.

I'm kind of torn on the whole peoplemover thing. On one hand, it seems like it would need a definite theme because I can't see "A tour of Tomorrowland" being very marketable by itself. Unfortunately with the several outside sections and the nature of the Peoplemover track that doesn't seem very possible. I think something like a combination between Spaceship Earth and Journey Into Imagination would work, though. Not necessarily a story, but kind of a demo of technologies and how they will help us in the future.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I agree and disagree.

I think the Peoplemover as just a tour of TL would work now. There are the parents of kids now that want to trip nostalgia and the kids who don't know what the heck a peoplemover is.

Also with the new SM, Buzz, Nemo, etc it's a whole new thing IMO.

I do agree that they need to do some cool stuff with the inside portions and open up the SM tunnel so you can see in. Especially for RockIt Mtn, that would ... well ... ROCK!!!

• Functional & Decorative

I would love for the Peoplemover to return. But one of it's problems is that it is/was promoted as a transportation system, but you don't actually have the option of getting off at a different location... you just return where you started.

My thoughts are that it should make a stop at the Innoventions building. Why not? It goes right through it, just slow it down and make it a new pick up/drop off point. Both attractions would probably be well-served by the synergy.

Anyone have thoughts on that?
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• that's right!

I don't think it should stop unless they change the track around, but Tomorrowland isn't really big enough for more than one stop anyway. It's like a 3 minute walk from one end to the other and another station would just complicate things. I do think they should make it like Buzz, though, where you can turn the car to face whatever you want.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I also believe that a tour of Tomorrowland is marketable, so long as the ride has some exciting features.

I'm having some difficulty picturing this Star Wars scene, filmfreak...I'm not entirely sure how this complicated scene would work in the said area. But say it did...and we had Luke and Vader. I feel that it would be better to have R2D2 and C3PO interacting with the guests on the PM track, as they are the main characters from the movies that you see on the ride. There used to be a single Stormtrooper swaying back and forth that you'd see for a short moment (and I suppose I'm biased as this was my favorite part of the whole ride )...but, wouldn't it be cool if say R2 and 3PO were being chased by a bunch of Stormtroopers, then escape and send you on your way? I don't know...

Tron would be cool...if it ties with the new version thats coming out fairly well, it could be a pretty good hit with guests.

Buzz sounds great...do you mean the little green aliens? I know the little green men opened up the ride, but you never see them in the ride.

Captain EO? Ehh...what he said. Maybe there could be a "time machine" sequence here, and there could be a whole bunch of dinosaur AAs or something.

In any case, great ideas.

Red Face Re: A new DLR PeopleMover (and show scenes) idea

A 21st century version of the PeopleMover...that would so rock!! That was one of the MUST ride every time I went to Disneyland when I was a youngin'. Before they had the Tron section w/ the lightcycles zooming back n forth...the superspeed tunnel I remember it being off-road racing (enduro/motox/buggies) along w/ some street motorcyles as well (both heading towards you & passing from behind.) Ah the nostalgia trip...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast