• Banned User

Submarine Voyage Rock Formations

I really was amazed at how detailed the rocks and props were when they drained the lagoon. Do you think they can match this artistry that was once the Submarine Voyage?

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/500061/1/20460351

• Just this guy......

Re: Submarine Voyage Rock Formations

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I really was amazed at how detailed the rocks and props were when they drained the lagoon. Do you think they can match this artistry that was once the Submarine Voyage?
    I'm sure that they can still make great rocks at Disneyland

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    I'm sure that they can still make great rocks at Disneyland
    It wasn't just the formation of the rock that I was talking about, it was all the detail that was put on the rocks and objects. If you feel they are just as good at making these formations today then why did they keep many of the rock formations, especially around the monorail columns?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Ooh, looking good so far.

Can't wait to see how it all looks underwater. The rocks, not the photos.

Maybe for accuracy I should print them out, and stick them in a glass of water.

Nice work again, Darkbeer.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Keeping old is still cheaper than rebuilding everything. I think they tried to keep as much as possible to save a few bucks.

I hope they spend the necessary dough so that the water is crystal clear. I love the photos from the early years of the Sub Voyage when they didn't tint the water.
    The Mur

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by themur
    Keeping old is still cheaper than rebuilding everything. I think they tried to keep as much as possible to save a few bucks.

I hope they spend the necessary dough so that the water is crystal clear. I love the photos from the early years of the Sub Voyage when they didn't tint the water.
    I agree, the blue water was way better than the green water.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

someone really needs to put captions on the Darkbeer photos really. I mean he does a great job but what the heck are pictures 66, 72 (I know it is a speaker in a rock, but where is it located and what are they doing?), 81 (Does someone know what that says?), & 101 (What are they doing)?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    someone really needs to put captions on the Darkbeer photos really. I mean he does a great job but what the heck are pictures 66, 72 (I know it is a speaker in a rock, but where is it located and what are they doing?), 81 (Does someone know what that says?), & 101 (What are they doing)?
    This update was last year and it was kind of obvious at the time what those things were, that is why he didn't say what they were because we were having discussions about them.

66. That structure was for a curtain that was suppost to be in front of the castle to reveal it on May 4th or 5th. It was canceled because the wind knocked it down and it damaged the castle. Everyone was all excited and was worried about the castle. It dented the roof and knocked broke something off.

72. That light is just for the fireworks show that is placed in a rock. It is not a speaker.

81. No idea.

101. Painting the whole peoplemover track to white and blue. This was during the time they were redoing the colors for tomorrowland.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'm pretty sure they kept some rock formations and others not because after all the time that has passed some of the rocks have rotted too much...or perhaps they need some of the rocks in a different shape to work with the new ride. In any case, if this ride is going to remind us of Finding Nemo, the ocean is going to look pretty darn spectacular.

I'm suprised they didn't remove more rocks, wouldn't alot of the old wire mesh rusted or the rocks became brittle? But obviously not, I wonder how they will color them.

On the topic of subs, I've always wondered are those real barnacles on the cement barriers and rocks in the lagoon or they fake..

• no flash photography...

I think the new nemo ride will have a cartoony look...kind of like mosters inc...I hope not, but it's the direction they seem to be going in.....I guess it makes sense, it is based on a cartoon, but I get tired of seeing all the cartoony stuff. They seem to be going for the child base and not the family base. They may feel if a child wants to go the family will go anyway, but I wish they would go for more of the attractions that everyone can enjoy and not soemhting the patents only enjoy because their kids like it....if that makes sense....like winnie the pooh...boring ride, but alot of parents say, "but my kids love it and I love seeing the joy on their faces."...ok, but I can enjoy seeing my child happy and still not like something.....(like her punk music...she loves it and she's happy listening to it...it does mean I like all of it.)

I am excited to see if they use new effects in the show building though. I think overall this should be a great ride...