• Gumball Rally Godfather

Windows on Main Sreet-Who's there and who isn't, and why not?

I got to thinking the other day about the windows on Main Street USA, and how so many wonderful Disney legends adore those windows.

Then I got to thinking about the Disney legends that are not on those windows and why they weren't.

Specifically, I was thinking about Bob Gurr and whether he has a window. Then I thought about Rolly Crump, another Disney legend, and then Alice Davis. If any of these Disney legends, in fact, do have windows, I would really appreciate knowing where they are.

All of these people (and more) had a huge impact on Disneyland, many of them right from the beginning.

Here is a list of others compiled from Disneylandtoday.com (please note that this list is from 2000 and may not be accurate):
    Carl Barks, Mary Blair, Roger Broggie, Les Clark, Ub Iwerks, Ollie Johnson, Milt Kahl, Ward Kimball, Eric Larson, John Lounsbery, Wolfgang Reitherman, Frank Thomas, Marty Sklar, Sam McKim, James Algar, Robert Sherman, Richard Sherman, Joe Fowler, Bob Moore, Betty Taylor, Fulton Burley, Fred Moore, Thurl Ravenscroft, Adriana Caselotti, Paul Smith, Clarence Nash, Ken O'Connor, Jimmy MacDonald, Donn Tatum.

I'm sure there are others that are not on this list that someone on Micechat may think of, as well.

I'm just curious, how does Disneyland management decide who gets a window on Main Street, and why have some of those that have had such a great impact on Disneyland been passed over?

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Re: Windows on Main Sreet-Who's there and who isn't, and why not?

Here's one of my favorite store windows from Christmas of 2004:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=41485092&size=l

That was from 2004 Holiday. I was disappointed with 2005 Holiday store window---don't remember what it was....but wasn't like my favorite above.

• Small Projects Team

Van Arsdale France has a window, he wrote the book "Window on Main Street"

• Still lost in Neverland

Van Arsdale's WIndow is on the East Side above the Music Store I beleive or somewhere right around there.

I was going to say why I thought Bob Gurr's Name was not there, but then decided not to as I was forgetting something somewhere. I know that Walt put these peoples names up to give them "Screen Credit" for helping with Disneyland, and there is no doubt that Bob Gurr was one of the busiest guys around at that time, and still is for that matter.

Maybe it has something to do nowadays with after you leave, or pass on, they do a window in your honor. But since he started at the very beginning, his name should certainly be up there with all the others. Someone out there has to know about this.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    I was going to say why I thought Bob Gurr's Name was not there, but then decided not to as I was forgetting something somewhere. I know that Walt put these peoples names up to give them "Screen Credit" for helping with Disneyland, and there is no doubt that Bob Gurr was one of the busiest guys around at that time, and still is for that matter.

Maybe it has something to do nowadays with after you leave, or pass on, they do a window in your honor. But since he started at the very beginning, his name should certainly be up there with all the others. Someone out there has to know about this.
    Bill Justice got a window last year and (happily) he's still alive. No slam on Mr. Justice, but I don't believe he can hold a candle to Bob Gurr (or Rolly Crump, for that matter) when it comes to having an impact on Disneyland. Back in the day, Mr. Gurr designed just about every ride vehicle in Disneyland, including: The Monorail, the Autopia vehicles, Mr Toad's Wild Ride vehicles, the Horseless Carriage, the Firetruck, the Omnibus, the Horsedrawn Streetcars, the Carnation Milk truck,the Global Van Lines truck, the Submarine Attraction subs, the Matterhorn Bobsleds and many more!
    Rolly Crump did a lot of work on the Haunted Mansion, he was personally responsible for the Adventureland Bazaar, he took over the "it's a small world" project when Mary Blair quit, and he was one of the main Imagineers on the Enchanted Tiki Room.
    Alice Davis was the main Imagineer when it came to costuming the Pirates of the Caribbean. She was also the "go to" person when it came time to costume all of those little brats in "it's a small world".

I wish Disneyland management would recognize these legends with their own window on Main Street while they are still alive.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Gay Man

Walt doesnt have a window on Main St. I always found this interesting.

However, Walt does have a window in another location.

Trivia alert!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy
    Someone out there has to know about this.
    You found her.

The issue you've raised has been a contentious one for well over a decade, perhaps longer. Fans and Imagineers alike have been "championing" for their favorite Legends -- Rolly Crump and Alice Davis, especially -- to receive Main Street windows. All to no avail.

Want to know who to blame for this? The person who has had complete dictatorial control over those Windows on Main Street? Deciding merely on a whim whose name goes up and whose name doesn't?

Marty Sklar

Perhaps now that Mr. Sklar is no longer Principle Creative Executive for WDI, we will finally see Rolly and Alice get their Main Street windows!!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    Perhaps now that Mr. Sklar is no longer Principle Creative Executive for WDI, we will finally see Rolly and Alice get their Main Street windows!!
    AND OF COURSE... BOB GURR!!

How could I forget my favorite vehicle designer! Flying Saucers!!!
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

I want to know if there ever will be a Rod Miller window above Coke Corner.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Haunted Mansion Fanatic

I'm suprised that Disney has yet to make a Main Street window honoring some of the park's voice actors. I would like to see a window that says:

Main Street Vocal Lessons
    Instructors:
    Paul Frees
    Thurl Ravenscroft
    Pete Renoudet

• Still lost in Neverland

Concerning Bob Gurr and Rolly Crump. They both were with Walt when he opened the Parks. Walt was the one who decided about the names. Marty Sklar either wasn't around then, or didn't have the "power" he has had for so many years. So, the questions remains: Why didn't Walt Disney have these names put up in the first place. He knew both of these Gentlemen very well, he knew that their contribution to Disneyland was far and above some of the names you do see today. So why did he leave them off? Their choice perhaps? We will have to ask Bob Gurr at the next convention to perhaps get at the truth.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Was just posting on another thread about this subject - Jack Lindquist has an inscription over City Hall proclaiming him the Honorary Mayor of Disneyland.

He was an advertising/marketing exec who was with the company a very long time before retiring in 1993.

Hope this helps -

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    Want to know who to blame for this? The person who has had complete dictatorial control over those Windows on Main Street? Deciding merely on a whim whose name goes up and whose name doesn't?

Marty Sklar

You got that right!

He must have gotten his feelings hurt at some point.

Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Hooterville, USA

Give Eisner a window, then we can take turns throwing rocks at it!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.