5 33.33%
  • Dislike It

7 46.67%
  • Neutral

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

New TL ride building possiblity idea...

So I was reading how WDI made plans to put DAK's Countdown to Extinction in DLR's TL from jimhill (http://jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1897). Queue was to be in HISTA and ride building in Grand Canyon/ Dinorama area. I rode CtE and glad it didn't come to DLR.

SO, what if instead the dinorama area was rebuilt (and partly underground) to house a Journey to the Center of the Earth type ride. And Grand Canyon is redone to house a Treasure Planet inspired Peter Pan/ E.T. Adventure/ TDS's sub type ride. Could this be made possible?? Just to let you know, I've never been on JTTCOTE, but think it could be done if its rethemed a little. Plus, this wouldn't be an EXACT carbon-copy clone. Additional show scenes could probably use waterfalls, splashing water effects, steam/smoke/fog effects, and fire effects. And the dinos could be part of the Journey ride, but reconfigured. And they will be seen from the trains. The glass on the attraction side would be tinted while the train side would be normal. Not sure if that is possible though. Also there would be a "cold" and "hot" environment in Journey in addition to the original TDS ride. So this kind of covers that effect from Test Track.

EDIT: OR instead of Journey going to the center of the earth, what if the elevators you go in is themed as a transporter/teleportation device to send to an alien planet where you explore its surface and what's inside the planet. Not only do you discover colorful planet life, animal life, and alien landscapes, but you also discover dinosaurs (from the current dinorama). Then around the T-rex volcanic scene, you come face to face with a lava creature (from the original Journey ride).

Entrance & exits where the Space Mountain Fastpass machines are. The Treasure Planet queue leads underground under the backstage roadway area to the show building. JTTCOTE's will have guests board maybe 4 elevators to go underground (similar to Haunted Mansion's stretch room elevator). Then the rest of the queue goes underground under backstage to the show building. Both will have an exit ramp back to the entrance of the attraction. If Space Mountain Fastpass is still needed, they can line those up near HISTA or Pizza Port's outdoor seating. And possibly JTTCOTE's Fastpass Machines as well.

But this walkway may get congested, so maybe return Space Mountain's entrance ramp where the current HISTA is. Then reconfigure that 3D theater's entrance to the left. But still have queue space near/under the SM entrance ramp...

The trains will be able to peek inside these 2 rides. The idea is the trains are "teleported" into outer space/ alien planet and then to the depths of the earth then finally back to Main Street.

Also in the article, it mentioned WDI talked about putting the Grand Canyon items in the Western Expedition ride that never came around. Is there room to put this diaroma in the tunnel between Frontierland and Fantasyland? In fact, I would enclose the Fantasyland theater, so there would probably be more convenience and room to put the Grand Canyon here. If a section of the tunnel is actually also used a backstage road way, then the Grand Canyon can be split in 2 sections with the middle dark to cover up those backstage doors.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-26-2006 at 11:48 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: New TL ride building possiblity idea...

^ Actually thinking more about it, FP for Journey & Space should go where the outdoor eating area is for Pizza Port. Then Pizza Port returns to being a Rocket to the Moon ride/show tech. Then a new "Above and Beyond" restaurant goes in 2nd floor Innoventions along with Starcade (walls looking over TL replaced with glass). Then old Starcade (1st AND 2nd floor) becomes the new Innoventions including ASIMO show appearances. 1st floor Innoventions becomes new spinning theater AA singing show. Probably about energy or inspired by a new version of EPCOT's Horizon. Music and lyrics by Alan Mekan & Glen Slater .
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-26-2006 at 01:57 PM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

Forgot to mention the Journey show scenes could probably use waterfalls, splashing water effects, steam/smoke/fog effects, and fire effects. I think here would be a perfect opportunity to bring TDS's Indy tornado effect!

So not only do you get back a better Rocket Rods ride, but also the Peoplemover as well!
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-26-2006 at 01:10 PM.

-Jurassic Park

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Why would Disney ever put Countdown to Extinction/DINOSAUR in Tomorrowland if it's just a carbon copy of Indiana Jones Adventure but with Dinosaurs instead of Indy and Mara?
    Sorry, but this just makes me feel like Jim Hill making something up again.

Jim never makes any note of a possible re-design of the entire ride layout, just that they would copy the ride over... And considering a ride of that scale - it would only make sense that Disney would save money and make an exact replica of the ride. So it just doesnt make sense that CTX would ever be considered to make the move to California.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• ...TWO BITS!

^ He mentions it didn't go beyond the talking phase. That just made a spark in my head of "what if" possibilites for this thread.

-Jurassic Park

• that's right!

I just realized that the diorama is really huge and could easily fit a ride. I don't know how I'd feel about it if it was taken out, though. It's cool and historic and everything but I'd probably prefer an actual ride.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    I just realized that the diorama is really huge and could easily fit a ride. I don't know how I'd feel about it if it was taken out, though. It's cool and historic and everything but I'd probably prefer an actual ride.
    Tis why I think reconfiguring these dino AAs to fit the Jounrey attraction would be a good and interesting idea. Plus you would be able to see the dinos from the train. Most likely keep that one tearadato flyin dino that's perched infront of the train there.

-Jurassic Park

• Banned User

dude, you cant vote for your own ideas!!

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183
    dude, you cant vote for your own ideas!!

yeah, sorry about that. Next time I won't do it.

-Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Actually Countdown to Extinction was considered for Disneyland's tomorrowland at one time. Jim Hill didnt make it up. Im sure someone "in the know" could back me up on this.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Why would Disney ever put Countdown to Extinction/DINOSAUR in Tomorrowland if it's just a carbon copy of Indiana Jones Adventure but with Dinosaurs instead of Indy and Mara?
    I agree, real or not it really makes no sense.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I agree. But that article got me thinking about what if they used Journey instead of Dinosaur. Makes better sense. And if Disney still wants a Test Track type CARS ride, Journey and CARS would still be different enough to make 2 unique experiences.

-Jurassic Park

While some of the articles are very interesting and it is neat to see the concept art of Disney Decade, etc that you wouldn't normally see, Sometimes I feel Jim Hill Media articles have ideas that seem too crazy and the whole DINOSAUR seems impossible. Why (1) would they have spent all that money on TL after the 1998 flop of almost everything, (2) disrupt three attractions [HISTA,SM,DLRR], and (3) make a copy, not to mention not as interesting copy, of a ride DL already has...

I would like to see the Dinosaurs and Diorama be refurbished but not disrupted.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I also questioned the HISTA.

-Jurassic Park

• ...TWO BITS!

I'm a bit surprised no one wants to talk about the Treasure Planet/Peter Pan/E.T. Adventure hyrid attraction.

Basically using Peter Pan tech to take cruisers on a voyage through space with visuals inspired by Treasure Planet. 2 rows per ship to increase capacity. Cruise through space, past planets & stars, and through an alien planet. Should be blacklit and visually fantasic. Either called "Solar Sailing" or "Fantasic Voyage". One other main difference with this ride is like in TP, the ships are powered by solar energy.

-Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast