• Minion

Blog Entries

"Blue print" for haunted mansion in DL

hey, i know the ride pretty well....but not well enough for this

can anyone make a blue print for the house if the house were real and live-able? i want to build it on sim2 for upload but i don't want to just blow it, i've got lots of exterior pics, now i need a birds eye view with no celing to each floor

I'd really apperciate it!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: "Blue print" for haunted mansion in DL

I've seen "blueprints" for sale on eBay of the HM. I don't have a clue if they are genuine or not, and as big of a fan as we are, I never felt the necessity to have blueprints of the place.

As far as building a house that looks like the HM, any designer can come up with plans from pictures of the exterior. As far as the interior goes, we all know that the interior is for the elevators that lead to the tunnel that goes under the tracks to the real building where the show actually takes place. So the interior drawings wouldn't be much help for someone wanting to build an actual useable house.

Good luck!

• Closed Account

Preston Nirattisai drew just such plans for when he becomes rich enough to build his own "livable" HM:

http://www.dlrcad.com/hm/

• Minion

Blog Entries

thanks for the feedback, and i know that the streching room is in the actual house, i meant if it were a real house....like that crazy guys! lol j/k about the crazy....or am i ?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Minion

Well, we all know the mansion is bigger on the inside than the outside.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    Well, we all know the mansion is bigger on the inside than the outside.

Just like the TARDIS

I had a bit of a hunt and found these photos:

http://www.hauntedportraits.com/Haun...Blueprints.htm

They are for WDW, but are they any help?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• =)

It's funny you should ask. I undertook this very project a couple of months ago, with limited success.

Here's the main problem: the house facade you see in the park is supposed to be a medium-small Greek Revival mansion. But all the rooms inside the ride itself take place in MUCH larger show building outside the park. As a result, the rooms won't actually fit inside the real house, even if set up properly. The ballroom set itself is longer than the house facade is in real life. So, I was in a quandry: do I make the rooms smaller, the house bigger, or both?

If you make the rooms smaller, you run the risk of losing the right atmosphere in the rooms. If you make the house bigger, you run into problems and have to make some changes to the overall design.

One important dilemma is the placement of the ballroom. This is the largest room in the house; its placement and size dictate the size of the house. If you place it so the long side is parallel to the front facade, you don't have as much space, but this is probably what would be done in a real Greek Revival mansion. If you place it with the short side parallel to the front facade and put it on the right side of the house, you have more room for a larger ballroom, but the design is a little unorthodox.

You also have to make a decision about the foyer/entry area. The ride has quite an underwhelming foyer that's actually set off to the right side of the house. It only has two doors, both of which lead to stretching rooms. You have to decide if you want to keep that foyer design or not. If you keep it, how would one get upstairs? The foyer is normally the room where you would find the grand staircase. For me, it made more sense to go with something closer to the movie's design for the foyer, which I'm told is based on abandoned concept sketches for the ride's foyer.

Basically, you have to make concessions no matter how you do it. I loved trying to work out this puzzle, but the fact of the matter is that the Imagineers really didn't intend for anyone to be able to figure this out. It just wasn't something on their priority list.

• Closed Account

But if you wanted to just build the exterior, you can't do much better than these plans. Preston even accounted for the forced perspective, with the windows getting smaller on each successive floor!

• Closed Account

Oh, and one other thing, before you start:

The wrought iron railing is a stock pattern, so you won't have to re-create that. I believe the windows are a stock size as well.

• =)

Sounds to me like kyrsledm's main issue at the moment is the interior.

Do you want to actually re-create the building exactly as it is in the park, with the correct interior and everything? If so, all you'll really need is the foyer and two stretching rooms. Because that's all there is inside the facade.

• Yeti Enthusiast

If I were rebuilding the Mansion for myself, I'd just stick to the exterior design and design my own rooms for the interior. Since they don't really exist, how can you really be wrong about it?

And how would you build an attic that leads directly to a graveyard?

• DisneyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn Boy
    If I were rebuilding the Mansion for myself, I'd just stick to the exterior design and design my own rooms for the interior. Since they don't really exist, how can you really be wrong about it?

And how would you build an attic that leads directly to a graveyard?
    If the house sat in the mid level of a hill, the backyard being higher than the second story. It would be quite easy for an attic to exit into a backyard 'Graveyard'. You don't really see that the backyard is elevated unless you are in a 'long' line and see the crypts on the back wall of the visible backyard. Before the mature trees and all ( more simply stated as "ORIGINALLY") there was a forced perspective to the relationship between the Mansion and the yard behind it (wich also accomodates and hides the Train).
    As far as floor plans for the interior, it is much like "Alice in Wonderland" as all perspective is lost as you fall down the rabbit hole. Things are stretched, emphazied, lit or tricked with mirrors. Fun to study the effects, but more fun to enjoy the total effect. Since you have to pick and choose to fit within the footprint of the Mansion facade, why not choose your favorites and emphasize them?
    Fun project, ENJOY!