Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• the subs were cool maan

Submarine Voyage Needs To Reopen! Now!

Is it just me, or should they just re-start the subs for the 50th? They say they 'destroyed the molds'....HOW HARD COULD IT BE TO RE-CREATE FISH MOLDS!?!?!?!? Why not re-open it in time for the 50th, and advertise it as "a refurbished classic", slash "See it now before its too late"/the new Nemo ride comes. If they started NOW, it should be ready by May 5th, or July 17th, 2005.

Your Thoughts..............?

• Banned User

The subs are not in any condition to run a crowd 24/7. It is amazing how the subs still run; it almost defies time and logic by actually being able to do laps on the track without refurbishment for almost 7+ years. The ride is determined to come back in some form. The sets are almost completely gone so therefore it cannot come back unless you want to just go in a deteriorated sub with no audio and no scenes.

thats not what im saying. it shouldnt be that hard to re-create fish molds. Really. how hard is it to create a fish mold? Its like the cheapest ride you could 'build'. a bunch of plastic scenes. all they would have to do is drain the lagoon, and replace each and every scene! if they started now, they could have it ready in time.

and i DO think they are going to use the old subs

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    thats not what im saying. it shouldnt be that hard to re-create fish molds. Really. how hard is it to create a fish mold? Its like the cheapest ride you could 'build'. a bunch of plastic scenes. all they would have to do is drain the lagoon, and replace each and every scene! if they started now, they could have it ready in time.

and i DO think they are going to use the old subs
    I am not an expert at making molds for animatronics but my gut feeling is that

1. Too expensive for a temp opening
    2. Takes too long
    3. They are going to redo it anyway after the 50th so why invest the money.

There is a lot of stuff that you dont see that is wrong with the attraction. It would cost millions just to get it back to running order the old way.

• Zapp's Minion :D

How can they?

It takes time & money, which they don't have right now.

They have already spent tons of money on the 50th!, which starts next month.

The subs are really old and moldy.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    I am not an expert at making molds for animatronics but my gut feeling is that

1. Too expensive for a temp opening
    2. Takes too long
    3. They are going to redo it anyway after the 50th so why invest the money.

There is a lot of stuff that you dont see that is wrong with the attraction. It would cost millions just to get it back to running order the old way.
    they should have thought about that back when they did the '98 rehab of TLAND

Announcing NOW that the subs will temporarily re-open for two years before the Nemo thing would be good because it would be ready for the 50th (theres going to be LOTS and LOTS of ppl for the 50th, so there might as well be as many rides open as possible, that way more people are occupied/not in the walkways crowding DLAND, but in the lines for Rides

just a thought

• Shubisha

Well they have to used the old subs for the new ride because they want to avoid the american disabilities act to a certain extent.

And yes, I would ride it without sets(the audio part is easy so they'd have it. and if they didn't i'd provide my own ). I think it'd still be a fun once in a lifetime thing to do.

they should have thought about that back when they did the '98 rehab of TLAND

Announcing NOW that the subs will temporarily re-open for two years before the Nemo thing would be good because it would be ready for the 50th (theres going to be LOTS and LOTS of ppl for the 50th, so there might as well be as many rides open as possible, that way more people are occupied/not in the walkways crowding DLAND, but in the lines for Rides

just a thought
    they DIDN'T think about it then, hindsite is 20/20 or whatnot and Pressler wasn't into the subs at all

it should also be said that everyone DID have a chance to ride the subs one last time and it is recorded as such (with imagineers and fans all getting one last go around on closing day) the day was seen and everyone who wanted to be there was there

they couldn't bring the ride back this fast because it would be an a huge amount of time effort and money which wouldn't be worth it for what they'd make off of it

people knew when the subs were closing that they'd be replaced by something they just didn't know what

subs as the existed are already gone, there was a thread here a while ago that even showed the dragon up for sale on Ebay it was ugly and in horrid shape

• șoș Tom șoș

Is it just me, or should they just re-start the subs for the 50th? They say they 'destroyed the molds'....HOW HARD COULD IT BE TO RE-CREATE FISH MOLDS!?!?!?!? Why not re-open it in time for the 50th, and advertise it as "a refurbished classic", slash "See it now before its too late"/the new Nemo ride comes. If they started NOW, it should be ready by May 5th, or July 17th, 2005.

Great if they did manage to get the fish back in the water, what would you ride around in to see it? Having seen the subs, I stand by my statment that the interiors of those subs are covered in mold.

What do you expect when they park them in a damp underground facility and don't take them out very often? I suspect that there are few of the subs that could be salvaged, apparently in this last month, there was a thread where someone pointed one out in the bay but I still doubt they are at all salvagable. Disney can't risk exposing people to mold, imagine the lawsuits from any sick person who visited that ride?

JSpider is right, this is the result of the Pressler administration and even Super CM Matt, can't be super enough to throw a half-assed version of the old Submarines into the bay in time for the 50th. Hindsight is 20/20 and yes a refurb would have been nice but its not so what are we gonna do?

• Feel the breeze!

....HOW HARD COULD IT BE TO RE-CREATE FISH MOLDS!?!?!?!?
    You might be surprised. Runs of custom parts, unlees made in large quantities, are very expensive per part.

• Rock Star Minion

I never found the Subs to be all that exciting or interesting. Humid, stinky, wet, long-lined: definitely.

• all started by a mouse

I agree put Nemo and Ariel in there !!!!
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'm sure theres more to fixing the attraction than just the fish molds.

The subs are in very bad shape, I'm sure most of them have a substantial amount of rust and water in them .... even the one they were doing the testing of had a good about of rust on some parts of it... And you know they pulled out the best sub from the caverns to present to the suits. Just imagine how bad that otherones are...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

You know what's occured to me? If they are taking down the Motor Boat Lake down for Nemo, does that mean that the subs will become a Fantasyland attraction or is it just for extending the ride building or what?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Great if they did manage to get the fish back in the water, what would you ride around in to see it? Having seen the subs, I stand by my statment that the interiors of those subs are covered in mold.
    Fill each sub with TIDE with Bleach, drain, rinse and repeat(x10)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast