Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

hmm.. AT WDW when i was akid i would ride it.. that long line must not have existed when I ridden the ride waiting 30 min to get on it....

• oh bugger

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    Think about it. RocketJets/Astro Orbitor is just Dumbo....

It is a kiddy ride. On top of the Rocket Rods, it is too high for kids and too boring for teens and adults.... No target audience.... AND NO!!!!!! "It looked good and added motion to the area" IS NOT a good reason for a ride without a target audience to exist. Besides, the elevator gantry was OOOOGGLLYYYYY.

On the ground, it HAS a target audience, the Kids. It is no longer too scary for them to ride.
    If you think that the astro orbitor being on top of the old people mover paltform made it too scary for kids, then wouldn't that make it just right for teens? It's not a boring ride when it was way up there and you had that view, that was half the fun of the ride. Thats what made it different from Dumbo, its location. Now its location is awkward and in the way of the overall flow of the entrance of tomorrowland.

• Banned User

Think about it. RocketJets/Astro Orbitor is just Dumbo....

It is a kiddy ride. On top of the Rocket Rods, it is too high for kids and too boring for teens and adults.... No target audience.... AND NO!!!!!! "It looked good and added motion to the area" IS NOT a good reason for a ride without a target audience to exist. Besides, the elevator gantry was OOOOGGLLYYYYY.

On the ground, it HAS a target audience, the Kids. It is no longer too scary for them to ride.

I was 4 years old and went on the rockets when they were at the top. It was actually very fun.

Having it so high up was most of the fun. Really enhanced the feeling. We never ride the Astro - we figure we'll ride dumbo which our young son will like. And last time we were there, the line for Buzz along with Astro really clogged the TL enterance.

If the Rocket Rods had no target audience, then why were they always so busy? It was nice to have a ride that was somehwhere between Space Mt. and a kids ride.

"Pressler did not like paying maintenance on that elevator" this almost got me really mad, until I remebered... HE'S GONE! ;-)

Let's face it, almost all of the decisions during that area, including moving the rockets, were bad ones. Let's hope the future stays bright...

I rode the rocket jets at the top of the platform and I think it added a lot to the ride to start that high up. At least they could get ride of the Observatron junk stuck on to that ride. Everytime I see that thing, it makes feel sick that such a great ride was turned into visual trash.

I'd be happy to see that ride restored, but just clearing off the hideous satellite dishes would be nice. It's a hideous reminder of the past managment.

Besides, the elevator gantry was OOOOGGLLYYYYY.
    I thought the elevator was half the charm. Not only did it make the make the loading experience much more exotic, but its styling complimented the realistic design of the attraction itself in a pleasant evocation of the days when the exploration of space still gripped the public's imagination.
    Eric Dean

[Countdown=&day=12&month=5&year=2005&hour=12&min=20 &sec=55]Getting off this dead volcano and back to California in:[/countdown]

"Welcome aboard, friends. This is Captain Collins. Now, first let me assure you that TWA has taken every precaution for your safety during this flight. We're proud of our safety record, and aside from a few brief moments of weightlessness, you'll suffer no discomfort in outer space."
    --from Rocket to the Moon

• Sock Puppet

Rocket Jets=Rad
    Astro Orbitor=semi-okay
    Not only were the Rocket Jets actually reminiscent of rockets, but they were elevated high enough to give riders that sensation of actually flying free of all restraints and lifts. The Orbitor is low, maybe lower than Dumbo, has a terrible queue, and for some reason always attracts Disneyland's most rif-raf looking guests. Has anyone ever noticed that? It didn't make sense at first, but looking at it now I can see that it resembles the rides at a much lower budget theme park, the kind you would expect these people to be at. Strange. Bewildering.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Executive Decision Meeting

EXEC#1: OK...we're re-theming Futureland, or whatever's its called. Let's get those flying rocket ships off the roof. The $200-$300 in monthly elevator maintenence is killing us!

EXEC#2: Right! Although, they do look pretty cool up there. Really adds an exciting visual.

EXEC#1: Then put something else up there. I know. Weld together some old satellite dishes and other junk. Then paint it brown!

EXEC#2: Perfect! Where to we put the rockets?

EXEC#1: Put 'em right in the middle of the entrance. That makes a lot of sense. Paint them brown too!

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Guess I'm in the minority. I think the Astro Orbitor looks really cool, especially at night. Although I do think the way it blocks the entrance is bad. I also think that if done properly, the Observatron could have been quite cool. I picture lasers coming out of the spinning satelite dishes, choreographed with the music. I think the budget cuts are what ruined it. Like always...

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    Guess I'm in the minority. I think the Astro Orbitor looks really cool, especially at night. Although I do think the way it blocks the entrance is bad. I also think that if done properly, the Observatron could have been quite cool. I picture lasers coming out of the spinning satelite dishes, choreographed with the music. I think the budget cuts are what ruined it. Like always...
    I don't think much was ever planned for the observatron but yeah

as far as design goes it might have been better to have placed the orbiter were Cosmic Waves is and put Cosmic Waves were the orbiter is

they both have approximatly the same footprint and Cosmic Waves would have had a motion filled entryway without blocking views into the land and the Astro Oribter would be placed in a position similar to were it is in Paris/Hong Kong (though in all honesty that exact location is were the Rocket Jets are, the spinner seems to always be placed in the heart of the land, except in Disneyland)

• the subs were cool maan

they belong on top of the peoplemover station, where WALT wanted them

• Minion

Although the Rocket Jets were essentially the same basic ride concept as Dumbo's Flying Elephants, aesthetically it looked best in the 1967 Tomorrowland incarnation. The white rocket with black and silver trim, as well as the elevators, were both reminiscent of NASA's Apollo program. OK, so once the Apollo program was over, they looked increasingly dated, but Tomorrowland and NASA being linked (even just visually) is a great idea. I always liked that look for Tomorrowland because it made Tomorrowland look semi-realistic, like, to a kid, maybe this really was a spaceport after all! I've always wondered why Disneyland didn't consult NASA design artists and futurists and science fiction authors for additional ideas and concepts for newer attractions. It's worked like a charm with Mission: Space in Florida - why not have a Disney SpaceCamp in the old Mission to Mars building instead of a lousy pizza restaurant (oh sure, overpriced pizza's an essential part of Earth's future, riiiiiiight). Not only could you entertain folks, but you'd be passing on essential science lessons to future generations of scientists. Don't give me that "it's too expensive" malarkey, either - Walt never let the issue of money (or the lack of it) stop him. As for the Rocket Jets, I'd like to either see them return to the previous design, or create a newer and better one, but brighter (no more copper and brown - yuck!).

And until Peoplemovers and Monorails become commonplace in our cities, Disneyland should always have them.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DustMeUpTink
    Rocket Rods wasn't that great in my opinion....it went fast, but in a circle.
    But the Peoplemover went in a circle too...just slowly.

Have to say one of my happiest and earliest DL memories was taking a flight on the Rocket Jets at twilight with my dad - cruising through the cool evening air and the whole park just looked magical.

In comparison the replacement is just a Jules Verne-esque Dumbo!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12