Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Providing Cast Members with the Ability to Sit

In order to improve employee morale and attract older applicants, I think Disney should look for ways to allow its Cast Members to sit on-Stage.

Disneyland Cast Members do not get the same breaks that they used to.

Certain positions where the Cast is at podia or desks already lend themselves to the addition of a seat that can preserve or enhance quality of show. To keep the talent at eye level with guests, stools should be used.

The seating might even reduce workplace injuries and Disney's potential liability, and the plan would reduce fatigue, certainly.

• Banned User

Re: Providing Cast Members with the Ability to Sit

I'm all for it. I'll be standing at a cash register all day. Sitting would definetely help me out.

• A Pirate's life for me!

If not a chair, at least a stool should be supplied.

It's only fair...

One of the greatest risks of heart attack and stroke is a sedentary lifestyle.

Sitting is the worst. The blood pools and clots can form. If a clot breaks off and forms...it can block the vessels to the heart (heart attack), or block the vessels to the brain (stroke).

Older people are at the most risk. The blood needs to be circulating = movement.

Anything that gets the blood flowing prevents those dangerous clots.

Automation, tech (cell phones and laptops) have contributed to a more sedentary lifestyle than ever before. Add in bad diet and pollution....and it's very clear why more and more people are having mysterious symptoms and heart and stroke.

More sitting isn't the answer.

If anything, maybe more movement and providing comfortable walking shoes.

• no flash photography...

Sitting all day is not good for you. If the CM's cannot stand or walk for a 4 to 8 hour shift then maybe they should seek other empolyment options.

I have an office job and we have to do stretches and get up and walk around on breaks just so the blood stays flowing and to avoid injuries, because we sit all day. It's much better to be standing or walking around. I certainly was in better shape when i had a job that requires standing and walking for 4 to 8 hours at a time, but I also made less money so now I sit and walk on all my breaks.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I hate having a stool under the front counter of the ice rink I work at. I've even just locked it up before. I know it's nice to have a sit every now and then, but sometimes having it there is a hassle as people just want to use it and not get up to do their job.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I dunno sitting comes across as unprofessional (and Disney is all about professional...beards are not even allowed!) in many cases. I'm all for it if it's needed, like when we have pregnant ladies at work they get chairs, they need them. But it is fair for the average hire should be required to stand for a fair amount of time. Now maybe DL's CMs are kept standing for too long without variation (why I hate Cash register jobs) but I don't know if sitting would help.

• See Ya Real Soon!

Some jobs are jobs you stand at. I could not imagine going into a store and having the cashier sitting at the counter.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

At focus groups I've been idealt with the impressions received back regarding seated employees 'actively engaged' with the public/customers is negative: lazy, unprofessional, distanced, aloof, etc. There is usually a jealousy expressed with regards to chairs, stools,etc. provided to someone just doing their job.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Hooterville, USA

How about giving the CM the option?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• CM for 4 years!

I don't think CMs should have chairs.

And I am a CM.

Grocer store workers don't, why should we? If we're sitting, it takes that many more seconds to respond to a guest (the time it takes to stand), and it's unprofessional.

Usually, we're given enough room to walk around a little, even if we have to stand. So there's not really a problem there.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Lost in Wonderland

CMs don't need chairs. It makes them look lazy. But what can help is providing a soft mat for them to stand on.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Chairs, leaning, sitting, kneeling is all unprofessional. No chairs. Soft mats, comfortable shoes with arch supports are a better idea.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I'm not sure how I feel about this topic. I was so surprised that in grocery stores in Europe the cashiers were seated. I didn't view this as lazy - just smart. As long as I was greeted with a sincere smile and friendly attitude, that was all that mattered.

As for CM's having stools/chairs, I say whatever will make people more comfortable and allow them to have longevity in the job. Again, most positions don't lend themselves to having seated CM's, but if it doesn't take away from the job requirements and the CM is still friendly and alert, what's the problem?

I was an elementary school teacher for 5 years and I was always on my feet and walking around from desk to desk. When I became pregnant I needed to sit down occasionally to rest and take some of the weight off my back and legs. Believe me, it is not easy to be an effective elementary school teacher while sitting down, but it had to be done.

Perhaps sitting for short periods of time would be okay. And frankly I think grocery store cashiers in this country should be allowed to sit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    One of the greatest risks of heart attack and stroke is a sedentary lifestyle.

Sitting is the worst. The blood pools and clots can form. If a clot breaks off and forms...it can block the vessels to the heart (heart attack), or block the vessels to the brain (stroke).

Older people are at the most risk. The blood needs to be circulating = movement.

Anything that gets the blood flowing prevents those dangerous clots.

Automation, tech (cell phones and laptops) have contributed to a more sedentary lifestyle than ever before. Add in bad diet and pollution....and it's very clear why more and more people are having mysterious symptoms and heart and stroke.

More sitting isn't the answer.

If anything, maybe more movement and providing comfortable walking shoes.
    Most Disneyland hosts and hostesses hardly have sedentary jobs. They're moving around all day long, and they relish anytime they have to get off their feet for just a moment, especially since Disney is not providing the same number of breaks that the company used to.

I feel guilty sometimes when I see 75- to 90-year-old ladies and gentleman on their feet each day. I can't imagine that there are people who think that all Disneyland hosts and hostesses have to be standing in order to look professional. Several positions on-Stage already involve sitting (admissions booths; most Fantasyland attractions; Storybookland Canal Boats; control tower positions; monorail pilots; cashiers at certain restaurants; Main Street Vehicles; etc.). And, in order to be more in keeping with the Show, certain operational roles should involve sitting in order to be faithful to the job being depicted.

Leaning is unprofessional because cast members should, naturally, be conscious of their posture. Sitting certainly is not, however, because not all on-Stage roles depict "service" jobs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast