• Lowering Expectations

Sad Dapper Dans / Poor Parade! March 31st Trip Report

Well I just came back from the park this evening, and I thought I'd share this...

I saw the Dapper Dans perform- my last opportunity to see them as they are beind discontinued as of next week! Shelby recognized me because I had watched them the past two Fridays as well. I bought their "Dapper Dans Live!" CD and when they got toward the end of their show they mentioned they have a CD available for purchase, I held it up and said "Like this!" I had all four of them autograph my CD! I gave them my last good words, and they were all very appreciative. I will miss them so much! The CD will be one of my most cherished treasures from Disneyland.

It was wet and squishy today, no big showers but enough to keep the ground slippery. As you know, the parades are canceled if the parade route gets too wet (and they do that retarded "Mickey's Cavalcade," but hey it's better than nothing). But this evening the Parade of Dreams was going on anyway, although I noticed certain elements were not used out of necessity due to the conditions, like the stilt characters in the Alice and Lion King floats were simply not used at all, and the pearl-tossing girls just held the pearls and waved to the guests. Also, since rain was still coming down in a drizzle, there were no parade stops. At least, no scheduled parade stops. Because from where I was at the central hub, all the floats went by, and then the last prince/princess float came to a stop, and I looked and saw the whole parade was at a standstill! My first suspicion was that one of the floats broke down, so my family and I raced through the castle (the side route since the castle drawbridge was already closed) and went all the way to It's a Small World. By this time it was at least five minutes later, and the parade was still stopped! The music and everything was still going, and I can only imagine what people along the route were thinking. Sure enough, one of those white tow vehicles was rushing down the line. We found a spot in the line for Small World and we watched the entire parade again! And it was really cool, because we were so close to the characters, they waved right to us and gave us high fives. When the white vehicle came towing the Alice unit we cheered the guy driving it for saving the Parade of Dreams! Then since we were already in the queue we got on Small World with absolutely no wait, just as the parade mobs came in behind us!

And while I'm sharing this story, I might as well say that I'm glad I came home right after that because I poked my head out the window and I hear no booms, so the fireworks got cancelled again due to "high winds." I wonder if Fantasmic got cancelled too...and oh yeah, Space Mountain was broken down. Did I mention both parks were especially busy? Yup, it was one of those evenings.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Merry 2014!

Re: Dapper Dans / Poor Parade! March 31st Trip Report

what a great post! I love these trip reports. *sigh* if only I were there! So cool to see the parade so close up too.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Dumptruck of Information

nope, fireworks went off this evening, they just started them late. was leaving the park at that time, and they were shooting them.

• Lowering Expectations

Oh really? Okay, never mind!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

great trip report! isn't it a strange guilt-ridden excitment feeling that you get when you see a float (or something else non-destructive) break down and you can run right up to the action and recognize the situation and the people involved and just be happy?...... ok, maybe it's just me. glad you had a good time and were able to say goodbye to the dans!

• Lowering Expectations

^Yeah, it is kinda cool to not be the average clueless park guest and know more or less what's going on and why.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    ^Yeah, it is kinda cool to not be the average clueless park guest and know more or less what's going on and why.
    Don't take it personally, but that kind of tone is why us clueless types begin to get hostile towards the regulars.

I don't think you really meant that, and I don't want to start one of those circualar arguements, just pointing out for the sake of the obvious...

• A Pirate's life for me!

Relax...No need for hostility.

It's not like they went around shouting what's going on to the clueless ones.

No one spoiled the show for the first timers...

Sometimes, it gets a little deep around here for no good reason.

BTW-Great day-trip report!

Thanks!

You should have stayed at the hub. The characters from the last float went out and shook hands and gave hugs to the guests. It was because the Alice float has trouble in the rain.