Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland 1st Trip Help

Hey everybody. I've been to Disney World all my life, but have never made a trip out to DL or DCA, and am finally going this summer. I need a couple bits of advice from all of you in the know. 1. DL Hotel or Grand Californian? 2. Where to eat? 3. When is the Nemo ride supposed to open? 4. Is the first week of July (Pirates movie premiere) a bad time to be there? 5. I'm not going until after Pirates re-opens...when is a great time to go after June 26th?
    Thank you so much for the help. I'm really excited, let me hear from everyone soon!

Re: Disneyland 1st Trip Help

Well, I don't have answers to all your questions, but I do have some input. I think the Grand Californian would be a better place to stay. It's newer and I love the lobby. There's also a separate entrance to DCA and it doesn't require taking a tram anywhere.

As for eating, I love the Blue Bayou restaurant. The atmosphere is amazing. It's pricey, and the food is okay (not worth the price at all) but the atmosphere more than makes up for it.

Not sure what dates would be best for you as far as crowds. I know the summer is pretty crowded at any time - though it's always better during the week than weekends. Get there at park opening and ride until the afternoon. Then go back to your hotel and swim, rest, etc. til later. Be sure you catch the Parade of Dreams at DL - I'll wave to you!

Have a great trip.

• win twins

Quote Originally Posted by JLindley2003
    Hey everybody. I've been to Disney World all my life, but have never made a trip out to DL or DCA, and am finally going this summer. I need a couple bits of advice from all of you in the know. 1. DL Hotel or Grand Californian? 2. Where to eat? 3. When is the Nemo ride supposed to open? 4. Is the first week of July (Pirates movie premiere) a bad time to be there? 5. I'm not going until after Pirates re-opens...when is a great time to go after June 26th?
    Thank you so much for the help. I'm really excited, let me hear from everyone soon!
    1. Grand Californian IMO

2. The park has such a wide variety of food choices, you can pretty much get any kind of food you want. My personal favorites include Redd Rocket's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland, The Blue Bayou in NO square, and The corndog stand at the end of Main St.

3. The Finding Nemo Submarine ride will open in 2007.

4. ANYTIME during the summer you will experience crowds- they close the park very early the day of the premiere so you'll want to avoid that day in particular. Get to the park early in the morning, get fastpasses for your favorite rides, and go do one of your other favorites to start out the day. As the day goes on the lines get longer and then shorten out again later on at night.

5. Anytime in the summer you will run into the same types of crowds, so there is no 'best' day to think about- DL's 51st birthday is July, 17th.

Good Luck planning your trip
    Nothing matters in this whole wide world, when you're in love with a Iowa girl

Are you traveling with children? What ages?
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Lowering Expectations

One thing to keep in mind coming from WDW- everything at the DLR is on a smaller and more personal scale, from the castle to the paths to the churros (well maybe not the churros, lol). Things are in terms of square acres here at the Land, as opposed to square miles at the World.

Since you frequent Disney World I bet you're familiar with Fastpass, but take advantage of them! First timers miss out on the convenience of the system when they don't know how to use it. It helps immensely in your being able to see everything on your to-do list at the parks.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

Thanks guys, that's awesome. Please keep it coming.
    As far as children, the youngest is 17, so not really. Also, I forgot to ask about the monorail, is it running at all due to Nemo? I can't remember.

• Lowering Expectations

The monorail is running, but it is going one-way (i.e. one train going back and forth on the same length of track) and is only available for Disneyland Hotel guests, which is you in your case. The monorails are doing the best they can, but it might involve some extra waiting on your part. Also keep in mind that if you stay at the Grand Californian, you have direct access to DCA.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

I've never stayed at either of the hotels, to pricey for me, we just use priceline, that way we can spend our $ on fun stuff.
    Eat--everywhere! Try some of everything. Really, I've never had anything anywhere at the DLR that I didn't enjoy. Some of it costs too much (okay all of it) but you are then paying for atmosphere which is also nice. Maybe we should ask--what is really bad food at the park?
    We always like to go as late in Aug. as possible, it seems like it is a bit calmer then as many people took their trips earlier in the summer and are getting ready for fall plans.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

As with 2Die said, everything is smaller. At WDW, the crowds have space to disperse and be absorbed when there is a large number of people. Not so at the Happiest Place. The same number can congest the same walkway that at WDW would be empty.

But that's not the major concern. Your concern is fun. Have not a worry, if you can handle WDW, you can handle DL.

Don't go on the day of the premiere. Go see a movie at DtD or go to the beach.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

I'm not adding anything, just wishing you have a great time!

• A skewed point of view

Talking Re: Disneyland 1st Trip Help

Make sure to do the early entry(if you have it). You can get to a lot of rides early and enjoy yourself with more open time in the afternoon. But most of all Enjoy your self.

</IMG>

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Hi JLindley2003 and welcome to MiceChat!

1. GCH is very classy and beautiful. If you stay there, be sure to take the hotel tour, it really makes you appreciate the hotel much more. You can go directly into DCA from the hotel.

The DL Hotel is much more Disney themed and also less expensive. You have to walk through Downtown Disney to get to the parks though, or take the monorail into Disneyland (it does not have a stop in DCA).

2. There are tons of restaurants between the parks, hotels, and Downtown Disney. I haven't been to a lot of the restaurants, so I'll leave the experts to post about those.

3. Nemo, not until Spring 2007

4. Summer is going to be busy no matter what, but I would especially avoid July 4th weekend, that's one of the busiest weekends of the year. As others suggested, get to the parks early to get on the popular rides and use the fastpass system (this thread gives details http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5720 ), and don't try to do everything in one day, you'll only get frustrated.

There's a lot of useful information here on MiceChat, just cruise through the past threads and you'll find answers to things you never even thought of.

And most importantly, just have a fun trip!!!!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

See the original fantasmic, it's love!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Merry 2014!

where to stay? if you can afford it, GCH is closer to the parks and can enter DCA right next door. then it is just a hop and a skip over to DL.
    where to eat? Redd rockets- the chicen fusili is really good, so is the pizza
    Plaza Inn- fried chicken dinner
    corn dog cart at the end of Main st- corn dogs fresh made
    Blue Bayou- atmosphere is great
    RAncho del zoloco- good mexican food- I was surprised how tasty it was
    House of blues in DTD is very good just pricey

Where not to eat? Don't eat at the Village haus in Fantasyland. Ever. Tommowland terrace is not that great either. better off eating at the hungry bear in critter country if you want a hamburger. Riverbelle terrace won't be open I don't think, it was not a fav of mine. YOu might want to look up some threads on DL food. there are some treats that are must haves. Hope this helps. Enjoy the intimacy of DL!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!

Where not to eat? Don't eat at the Village haus in Fantasyland. Ever.
    out of curiosity, why not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast