View Poll Results: What should be done with the thunder mountain Engines

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave the engines as they are

0 0%
  • Bring back the second set of drivers

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The official I hate how the Thunder Mountain Engines look right now thread.

If I remember right, they were removed because of the safety issue. Maybe at some point in time the engines will be re-designed to incorporate the missing wheels again. Personally, I think it does look a little weird, but if it makes it safe to ride, keep em off! BTMRR is by far my favorite ride at DL in the night time, and if it needed a little work to make it safe for me, so be it.

There may have been some issues as far as accessing the actual running wheels, having to work around or remove the drivers to service the bogies. In other words it just made it easier to service it

• Still lost in Neverland

I guess I need to pay more attention. Thanks for the quick response and I think it look silly without those second wheels, like something is missing that should be there. It may be for safety so I can't really fault them after the horrible thing that happened on that ride. But a redesign or something should be done to also compliment the "show" portion of the ride. I hope they can come up with something nice to look at again, and safe.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• "Always On The Move..."

Thanks for the info, everyone. Like I said.. I am NOT an engineer. So, if it was for safety. So be it. I would much rather be safe than not. I can live with the look. But thanks again for putting my mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

I heard it had something to do with weight distribution on the engine.......

• Banned User

What is with that poll, I can't vote is says it's closed.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Those poor engines have looked silly ever since the brought them back after the tragic accident.

Surely there must be a safe way to have the second set of drivers; look how many years they ran without incident. I say find a safe(r) way to bring them back.

Or can the paranoid lawyers.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It seems that WDI did this to all four coasters. What I haven't found evidence of is this being done to other Vekoma mine trains. If this was a serious flaw wouldn't Vekoma be notified and modify all of the coasters? Or did WDI do something to these coasters that it is only a problem with them?

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't mind it if it makes things safer. This was clearly a concious decision, since they did it at WDW, too. This picture is of the WDW BTMRR in Dec 04. And This is the DLP one in 04 and if you look at the high res picture you can see the same thing there. ThemeParkReview has pictures of the Tokyo one from their Japan trip and the same thing has happened there. That cannot be a coincidence.

Safety > Show

• враг народа

Blog Entries

But as I pointed out it hasn't been evidence of it being done to any other Vekoma mine trains. So why are Disney's unsafe?

• Head Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman
    There may have been some issues as far as accessing the actual running wheels, having to work around or remove the drivers to service the bogies. In other words it just made it easier to service it
    I read that that is why the wheels were moved. It makes it easier and faster to do regular maintenance and check-ups. It was the lack of proper and regular check-ups that caused BTM to malfunction all of those times. The maintenence staff will find any way to glance over areas, and a drive wheel that is supposed to be removed every time to do a proper check is seen as a hassle. The wheel doesn't have a function other than for asthetics and theming, so it was decided to remove the wheel permanently.

Lack of effort results in a poor show.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Infinitized!

Looking at the before and after photos, and being on a steam locomotive crew, I have to say that it does look akward. Also, what makes it look akward is the fact there are no connecting rods, no crosshead, and no crank rod connected to a piston, coming out of the cylinder.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Sam
    Lack of effort results in a poor show.
    Except one would think if that was the case then Oriental Land Company wouldn't be doing the same thing. They are, if nothing else, known for breaking their backs while going the extra mile for the sake of show.

• Head Salesman

It'd be better is someone designed an easy detachment system for that wheel, something that would allow it to be temporarily moved out of the way relatively easily and in a timely manner. It'd be better than always having to disasssemble it. Even a fake wheel that doesn't come into contact with the track and doesn't spin would look far better than it does now. Perhaps they could even be hinged so that they could swing up and out of the way?

And while I agree that the Oriental Land Company is far superior in upkeep and maintaining a great show, it doesn't mean that they're impervious to mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the first to find a solution to the problem. I'm just saying that the trains look funny they way they are right now--kinda like seeing the Mark Twain without its smokestacks or the Matterhorn without snow.
    Last edited by Trader Sam; 04-03-2006 at 06:08 AM.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Australian Disney Fan

Brisbane Australia. Nowhere near a Disney Park.

I really really dislike the way the BTMR trains look now...it's just bad show - tho I'm relieved someone else has noticed other than me. Maybe it's just a stopgap measure until a refurb can properly correct the problem. Now...I wonder if they could re-imagineer the locomotives to use the platform mounted "steam" effects from Expedition Everest...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast