Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave the engines as they are

0 0%
  • Bring back the second set of drivers

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

The official I hate how the Thunder Mountain Engines look right now thread.

Uggh. They look horrible ever since they took out the second set of drives. Apparently they have butchered the other thunder mountain locomotive fleets with the same ailment. I also remember wdw engines a few years ago without smokestacks. Now no offense to disney but removing the second set of drivers really ruins the show of this attraction. Does anyone know why they were removed in the first place.

• Rainicorn.

Re: The official I hate how the Thunder Mountain Engines look right now thread.

You should have a choice for "I have no idea what you're talking about." lol. Or "No opinion."
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Travel-Sized Guardian

*shrug* as long as they're running fine and not running off the track, it doesn't matter, really. In any case, I don't see anything wrong with them...at least since last year, anyway. o_o

• Banned User

The drivers are the large wheels on the engines. they took out the second set of them out from all thunder mountain engines

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by inav
    The drivers are the large wheels on the engines. they took out the second set of them out from all thunder mountain engines
    Well if they took them out on all of them (DL,WDW,DLRP,TDR), then one can deduct that they were a safety hazard, and couldn't stay.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Well if they took them out on all of them (DL,WDW,DLRP,TDR), then one can deduct that they were a safety hazard, and couldn't stay.
    Yes, there was that case a few years ago, wasn't there?

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.htm

"A 22-year-old man, Marcelo Torres of Gardena, California, died, and several other guests were injured, when a locomotive separated from its train along a tunnel section of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Torres bled to death after suffering blunt force trauma of the chest"

That was only 2003. Any changes since then I can only imagine were safety related? I'd rather ugly than life-threatening!*

*I don't think they are ugly.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

If I remember correctly, they were removed following that accident and was of course as a safety precaution.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Yes, there was that case a few years ago, wasn't there?

"A 22-year-old man, Marcelo Torres of Gardena, California, died, and several other guests were injured, when a locomotive separated from its train along a tunnel section of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Torres bled to death after suffering blunt force trauma of the chest"

That was only 2003. Any changes since then I can only imagine were safety related? I'd rather ugly than life-threatening!
    Aye. To this day I won't have my kids sit right behind the engine. We sit waaaaaay in the back. Call me paranoid, but those engines are still hopping around a bit on the faster turns.

They are just another car in the train, one that is never loaded. I'm not sure if they're ballested or not, but I have seen them "hunt" during my rides on it which leads me to believe there is no extra weight added. The drivers are dummies that don't touch the rails. So if for some reason they would become dislodged , they would be a hazard. That just brings into question the level of maintenance. They ran for years with them. Are they still suffering from the outsourcing of the Pressler era? Or is it a DOSH "reccommended" fix?

• Minion

Nothing is wrong with the engines...next!
    Jason

• Lowering Expectations

Personally I think it looks silly. Even if you didn't know there was a second set of drivers, there's a big gap where it obviously used to be. Really though, I wouldn't have a problem with it if I knew how removing them made the trains any safer. I mean, removing wheels? Will that keep the engine from flying off the track? Really.

There must be some justification for it that I don't know about, but since I don't, it looks silly.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

They do look stupid and I'm lost as to how they were a safety hazard. The train derailed when the rear axle, connected to the tracks, broke during a sudden stop. This could have happened to any of the cars in the train and had similar results. Most likely maintainence didn't give the engines the same scrutiny because nobody rides in them.

• Still lost in Neverland

Does anyone have before and after shots so we can make a realistic vote? I have not paid that much attention since the ride came back, and going on it you really don't focus on the engines wheels. I never sit near the front, if I can avoide it, not because of any danger, but because the engine blocks the view ahead if your sitting up front. I like what Expidition Everest has done and put the "engine" in the back. They should do that here and also have the steam effect coming up from under the engine to make it look like the engine is releasing steam when it stops in the station. That is a very cool effect. And with the "engine" in the back, the view ahead is not blocked.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• враг народа

Blog Entries

• "Always On The Move..."

Thanks for the pics, LazyBoy...

Wow, I couldn't imagine that much of a difference...but there it is. IMHO it actually looked SAFER with the large second wheels. Now it looks a lot more unsteady. (cringe). I didn't hesistate to ride it before, but now... beside the fact that it really does mess with the looks, my Red Flag just went up and I just don't feel comfortable with the safety anymore.
    But, I am definitely NOT an engineer.. so maybe someone involved with the ride could explain the why(s)?

If it was for safety, I would really like to know, and would appreciate the info. If it was just because someone got a "bug" somewhere...that is a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast