Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaving the parking structure?

Has anyone else had this problem when leaving the parking structure and the end of the day? I leave as usual, but when I get out of the structure, the Disney parking people (probably the LEAST customer focused folks in all of the DLR) have Disney Drive blocked off, forcing me to go on the 5 freeway! The problem is, I need to go east on Ball Road in order to catch the 57 freeway north, and I cannot do that from the 5 freeway south! Does anyone have any way around this problem, or has anyone else had this problem? Help!!

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: Leaving the parking structure?

I have also had this problem. I do not think that it is Disney that is keeping you off of Disneyland Dr, It seems to be the Anaheim police. The city has decided not to let traffic onto their streets durning peek times from the structure.

the police also force Downtown Disney traffic onto harbor constantly.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

When you come out of the Mickey and friends Parking Structure you whan to stay far right side of the road if you can. Use the turn right you are on ball road.
    Do not use the bridge. If use the bridge stay lift side go strait and find place to do a U-turn. then turn left and that ball road.

this help?
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Where's Push?

You could also take the 5 freeway onramp and go towards Manchester Rd. At the next light, make a right turn and then take that road down to Katella and make another right turn and then a left turn on Ball Road. It is a bit out of the way, but when there are tons of cars leaving at the same time, its a much less stressful way to exit. I have done it many times!
    Take Care,

Brenda

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Here is another choice, take 5 south one exit to Harbor Blvd, make a left on Harbor for 2 blocks, then a right on Ball to the 57...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=98193
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney
    When you come out of the Mickey and friends Parking Structure you whan to stay far right side of the road if you can. Use the turn right you are on ball road.
    Do not use the bridge. If use the bridge stay lift side go strait and find place to do a U-turn. then turn left and that ball road.

this help?
    Alas, the problem is when the Anaheim Police, for traffic control reasons, does not allow anyone to exit onto Disneyland Drive, they force EVERYONE to use the overpass bridge.

Second, if you avoid the freeway, and go North on Disneyland Dr, there is no easy place to U-turn for quite awhile. If you do, the best bet is to make a left turn onto one of the city streets, then make a U-turn on the smaller street, and then make a right back onto Disneyland Dr.

But the option I suggested is probably the best bet, though it sometimes is hard to get into the right lane right after the overpass to get onto Interstate 5 South. But, then at Harbor and Ball, you have traffic lights at both turns.

• Pirate Girl

Okay maybe it is just me, but when you cross the bridge to get on the 5 don't you have the option of going either way? I always go to the left to take the 5 north home. But doesn't taking the right veer take you to the 5 south which would take you to the 57 north? And if you can't change freeways from the 5 south to the 57 north you could always get off on a street that would take you to the 57.

I always hate it when they have the bridge closed. But I don't think I've ever been forced to take the bridge.

Good luck,

Aprille :-)

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Alas, there is no off-ramp from the 5 south to the 57 north.

Your best choices are taking Ball or Katella east.

And then if you take the 5 north, you could take the 91 east to the 57, but once again there is no off-ramp from the 5 north directly to the 91 east, instead you get put on city streets for a few blocks.

The freeway system in OC is strange, and the 22 construction has not helped.

As for when the Anaheim Police closes the ramp to avoid the overpass, usually in the evenings, usually timed to the Fireworks, and sometimes an event at the House of Blues or the Convention Center. A large crowd, such as the Chrsitmas season, and the upcoming Peak Easter break does require traffic control in the morning and evening hours.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Your never forced to take the bridge.

What they've done, is coned off all but 1 of the lanes to Ball Rd. Reason why they did this, is because 90% of people need to take the I-5, and with all that overflow into the intersection of Ball and Disneyland Drive, it was a huge hazard. Now, only a few weavers (such as I) have to use the right lane to get to Ball Rd, and then get into the second right lane to turn right on Ball. Before the switch, people would have to get out of the right lane, and I witnessed more than one accident, when people realized that they didn't know where they had to go, and were switching lanes like crazy.

Let's use some visuals:

First, here's my mockup of the PS/DD/BR interchange:

Now, let's look at the traffic pattern before they started using the cones: (Note: This doesn't factor any lane-changed needed to get to the correct lane on Ball Rd., assumes all traffic goes straight)

Yikes! Look at all those merge points. Imagine if your on the far right (lane 5/6), and need to get the I-5. Not only do you have to merge over, but you have cars zipping to Ball Rd. as well. Looks like an accident waiting to happen. With this setup, us Ball Road Right turners (Me and You, h2opolodad) could be screwed depending on the level parked. We could get stuck getting over 7 lanes, and have all that I-5 traffic trying to get to to the left.

After the cones:

Ahh! This is better. Now, all traffic on lanes 3,4,5,6 have to merge together (less accidents), then even a I-5er from the 5 or 6 lane only has to get over one lane. However, this presents a problem for the Ball Road Right turners (Me and You, h2opolodad) as they have to get over. This is dangerous, because the oncoming traffic on Disneyland Drive doesn't merge or need to change lanes at all. However, still not as dangerous as the first option, because we have less traffic coming at us. Since MOST people take the I-5, this is a much better solution.

And there you go.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Monorail man....you are truly amazing! Thanks for the graphics! Might I say that I have always found it INSANE that they pulled out the Northbound 57 transition lane from the 5 south. I ended up in Mission Viejo the first time I tried to get to the 57 after the construction was done.

That said, I am now a certified cone path blazer. Whenever I see cones that are CLEARLY causing a huge back up and make no sense whatsoever, me and my Explorer are comin on through! GET OUT MY WAY! I took out at LEAST 4 cones last year, and a few of those tall orange thingies as well.(Not at Disneyland, mind you...on my commute home from work and only after suffering through 4 missed signals due to brainless construction workers who blocked off a perfectly good lane...) You should have the God given RIGHT to merge over to the right hand side and get to Ball Road. They have NO REASON to put another 1/2 hour on your return trip home. Ball Road can handle the traffic. And from what Monorail Man says, it sounds like that option is available unless there is some horrific accident on Ball Road...(caused by crazed Disneyfans in SUVS who are on their way home and don't want to deal with stupid orange cones. )

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Here's an addition with our traffic pattern in relation to DD, and the other traffic.

Before:

After:

As you can see, even us right turners (pink), have MUCH less to deal with. Especially if on Minnie/Donald (leads into lanes 1 & 2).

Did I mension I'm an avid SimCity player?
    -Monorail Man

• Former CM

If for some reason you are forced to go over the bridge you can either take Disney Dr all the way down to Lincoln and then turn Right and take it to the 57. What I do though id go to Broadway (just after the train tracks) and turn right. Go to Harbor and turn left then right onto Lincoln as it's much quicker.

• Minion

grrrrrrrr me and my dad had this problem saturday night as well

they werent even letting people turn left out of w. magic way onto disney drive. they even had a cop parked right at the intersection sitting in that driveway. that didnt stop this one crazy lady turned left right in front of the cops. brilliant!

• white and nerdy

grrr... I hate trying to get to ball, katella, harbor from the Mickey and friends structure... last time I ended up driving arounds some trailer park... next thing I knew crazy hillbillies were chasing us around with various power tools.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Wow I'm glad I stay at a hotel and walk to the park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast