Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: I miss the 'Good Old' Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    And yes, I can compare because I love Fantasmic as much as you do. And no, I have not seen the show more than 5 times.
    But I love it more! You can't compare who loves it more, it's pointless.

And why shouldn't the dragon be updated? It is after all the 21st century- a head on a stick doesn't seem to do the show justice.
    Space. Movement. Lots of fire and smoke blocking the view...

And who says a long show can get boring? Yeah talk to Broadway fans.
    Outside on the sidewalks of New Orleans Square really does remind me of a Broadway theater.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Are you even old enough to remember a "Good Old Disneyland"?

That is a safe crowd. I was at Disneyland in July and August. I'm well aware of the crowds during Remember. Disney knows how many people they can hold in an area. The Orange County Fire Marshal knows how many people can be there. The Castle did catch fire and everybody was fine.
    In ways, yes I am old enough because my mom has memoriabilia and souvieneers from the 'one-of-a-kind' shop- such a great store!

I'm just talking about the crowds, even if is 'safe', its still crazy and by the sounds of people they don't seem happy- lazyboy, if you can honestly say you are not scared by the huge crowds during the firework crowds, you are defending Disney too much- it is crazy and both you and I know it- I know this: When you cannot physically move at all I know its not safe.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    But I love it more! You can't compare who loves it more, it's pointless.

Space. Movement. Lots of fire and smoke blocking the view...

Outside on the sidewalks of New Orleans Square really does remind me of a Broadway theater.
    • Yes, I can
    • Clear the smoke out and then have the dragon- common sense
    • Disney should create a better flow and more seating, and I wasn't refering to Broadway seating. I mean just the show in general. Normally many of them are long, yet people enjoy them because they are entertaining, even if they are two hours long. Take Wicked for example. And if you were trying to be smart with me, it didn't work.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

It's ridiculous to say you remember these things if you didn't experience them. And you cant know anything by living it through someone else's memories. Life doesn't work like that.

I think your fear of the fireworks crowds borders on paranoia. I have never feared the crowds at all. The only thing that's ever crossed my mind is separating from my crowd, because it's hard to get reception sometimes in the park making cell phones a bit unreliable in the park.

From the sounds of things, I usually hear people gasping and sometimes cheering during the fireworks and usually talking about how cool Tinkerbell or some other part of the show was as they walk off after the show.

And saying people's frustration trying to push through the crowds after that is bad for Disneyland is ridiculous. People, by design, are easily frustrated in situations where a faster pace is preferred over a slower pace. Nevertheless, I think most people expect a slow exit after the fireworks after lining up 3 hours ahead of time or coming in 10 minutes before showtime and seeing a huge crowd. If people are doing either of these, or anything in between, theyre certainly expecting a frustratingly slow exit. It's called common sense. And in any situation where theres a lot of people - Disneyland or not, people's tempers are bound to flare up. But I don't think anything too serious would happen... not at Disneyland at least.

And fire hazzard? No. Like others have said, the fire marshall knows whats happening - and if it was deemed unsafe it wouldn't happen. With any fireworks show theres a risk of fire, and its happened before. I don't think anybody was injured, and that is also why adverse weather conditions cancel the fireworks show all the time.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

• Yes, I can
    • Clear the smoke out and then have the dragon- common sense
    • Disney should create a better flow and more seating, and I wasn't refering to Broadway seating. I mean just the show in general. Normally many of them are long, yet people enjoy them because they are entertaining, even if they are two hours long. Take Wicked for example. And if you were trying to be smart with me, it didn't work.
    1. Good grief!
    2. Clear the smoke out? Hhaha! Give me a logical way to do this quickly, professionally, and without being tacky and I'll back off.
    3. A two hour show at Disneyland is impractical. Wicked, or other broadway shows are a completely different ballgame than anything Disney offers at the parks and for good reason. I've read stories online on how people used to walk out of the Enchanted Tiki Room when the Offenbach number was still in the show. People don't want to go to a themepark and see something that takes up half of their day. They want to do everything, and after a while they'll leave because they have other things they want to do.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• враг народа

Blog Entries

In ways, yes I am old enough because my mom has memoriabilia and souvieneers from the 'one-of-a-kind' shop- such a great store!
    And I miss the 1950s.

I'm just talking about the crowds, even if is 'safe', its still crazy and by the sounds of people they don't seem happy- lazyboy, if you can honestly say you are not scared by the huge crowds during the firework crowds, you are defending Disney too much- it is crazy and both you and I know it- I know this: When you cannot physically move at all I know its not safe.
    I routinely fit 300+ people on a sheet of ice that is 200' x 85'. I can get all of these people off in about three minutes through four doors fitting one person at a time. The people at Disneyland are fine.

Clear the smoke out and then have the dragon- common sense
    The dragon has to be light. It has to fit in a small space and expand. It has to be open aired.

Disney should create a better flow and more seating, and I wasn't refering to Broadway seating. I mean just the show in general. Normally many of them are long, yet people enjoy them because they are entertaining, even if they are two hours long. Take Wicked for example. And if you were trying to be smart with me, it didn't work.
    If people want seating then Disney needs to build a Fantasmic! theater. Ever been to a movie theater with lousy seats? I, personally, want to get out much faster than if I had a more comfortable seat.

• Part of Your World

Who is that crying lady in your signature?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

^^^ agree'd it needs to be short, I wouldn't stand there for 2 hours...

Plus it is physically impossible to give an animatronic of that size a body with wings/fire etc.. you'd barely be able to see the dragon anyways because it would need limited lighting to hide castmember opporating it... Plus, if you have a huge actual dragon animatronic, how does it get out of the trap door.. and how does it's neck rise without making it look like the body and neck are disconnected... and not to mention actual wings.. hello, not safe to have huge wings outside...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyStrange
    Who is that crying lady in your signature?
    Queen Uberta from The Swan Princess, a great animation film.

• Banned User

I agree. case in point: tomorrowland(the eisner version). the original tomorrowland used to be full to the rim with excitement. the eisner version looks like something that really should belong over at knotts berry farm or magic mountain.

and:::::: how about putting back the hours of operation year round from 8am to midnight??????

think about it. no brainer. a) more people will be able to visit the park(s) and b) the company could make more money and quite possibly afford to oh, dare that I say it, LOWER the ticket (and other) prices

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't mind most of the in park changes except the Sub/PM closures, and those are slowly being fixed. The Skyway was an ugly way of doing something convenient; I won't miss their gigantic towers.

Most of my complaints about progress revolve around the DL hotel. I'm unhappy with the loss of the marina and Monorail Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07
    I agree. case in point: tomorrowland(the eisner version). the original tomorrowland used to be full to the rim with excitement. the eisner version looks like something that really should belong over at knotts berry farm or magic mountain.
    80s Tomorrowland IS the Eisner version of Tomorrowland. Eisner was always really proud of using his movie connections for Captain EO and Star Tours.

I have no idea who in the world was the driving force behind TL98, that they shut down everything Walt touched and tried to drag a Paris concept in where it didn't belong should tell you something though.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

All I know is that Tomorrowland used to be my second favorite area in the park...next to New Orleans Square...now, it's just....sad. Nothing much of interest...and I have had others tell me that the new Space Mountain is indeed like a disco ball...Ironic in that disco music (ugh) was king when the classic SM was built in 1977...

And along with the One-Of-A-Kind shop, I also miss the old Royal Street Veranda and the old table-service Cafe' Orleans...

I'm all for living in the present...but that doesn't mean we can't miss things that made the Disneyland experience better than what it might be now...

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

This picture says it all when everyone says they miss the good old Disneyland:
    BRING BACK THE MERMAIDS I doubt anyone would jump into the lagoon now.

• Animatronic

Let's not forget the great speed ramp up to Space Mountain where you got to watch a live band down on the Space Stage while you waited in line. I also miss the Golden Horse Shoe Review show and the Tahitian Terrace. I miss the mermaids and the castle walk through. I miss everything that isn't better now.

It use to be that when something got removed, something ten times better showed up in it's place. It seemed like Disney would think about what they did, build models and plan and plan some more. Then they would build it and spare no expense and use the latest technology. I think that's what we all still want, but instead we get Pooh.

Blog Entries

Disney has a very hard balancing act to play and in some ways it's impossible. I've never been to Disneyland although I hope to make it there someday. I live in Florida, so I grew up on Disney World. My dad worked there when it opened, so my family has been all about Disney for a long time.

The one ride that I miss more than anything else in the world from Disney World, yes even more than Toad, is "If You Had Wings". As a kid, I thought this was THE most amazing ride I had ever been on. I am so sad that I'll never get to experience that ride again. However, the truth of the matter is that in today's technology, that ride would be laughed at. It's not really that great of a ride, it's just that my nostalgia has taken over.

That's the problem. We go as kids and everything is magical. My memories of Disney as a kid are the most magical memories I have. If Disney truly was that great then they'd be sold out every day. The problem is, if I think really really hard I can vaguely remember the things I didn't like as a kid, but they're hazy. Over time those memories have changed into something more than they really were.

So, Disney has to compete to keep people's nostalgia factor alive and at the same time keep the park interesting for those who are new. The fact is, Disney couldn't make us both happy all the time. I would want nothing more than for If You Had WIngs to still be open, but no one would ever ride it hardly and they'd all come off saying how dumb of a ride it was. They don't have my false memories telling me how wonderful it is and riding it just revelling in their memories, they just have what is in front of their face.

SO, Disney has to keep us both happy. They didn't have that 25-50 years ago. When the park was being built, they could just focus on what people wanted for today. They didn't have to worry about what people were going to miss or had nostalgia for. They just had to worry about making a great attraction today.

Now, they have to make a great attraction for today, something that will be good years from now, and also not ruin those memories that people had. It's like balancing on the head of a needle.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast