Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: I miss the 'Good Old' Disneyland

I miss the Pendleton store, the Sunkist Citrus House, the original Carnation Main Street Restaurant, also the Town Square Restaurant (later changed to the egg house I think). I miss when the PLaza Inn used to have waiter/waitress service in the outdoor section of the restaurant. I miss the glassblowers of Arribas Bros. in the castle and also the west side of Main Street (I used to work in the castle shop of Arribas). I miss the candy shop in the castle. I miss the Sleeping Beauty walk through in the castle. I miss Carnation Plaza Gardens and all of the Big Bands they had there and seeing all of the older folks relive their memories by dancing the night away (big names too, like Glen Miller's group, Harry James, Ray Anthony, etc..). I miss the skyway, the subs, the rockets where they used to be, the People Mover, Adventure Through Innerspace, Circle Vision, Carousel of Progress and America Sings, both Mission to Mars and the Moon. I miss Welch's grapefruit stand near the old Fantasyland theater. I miss the Country Bear Jamboree and Nature's Wonderland Mine train ride. I miss the old Tom Sawyer's Island, I miss the original Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, I miss the Tahitian Terrace review.

Yes, there is a lot of things I miss about the park and it's good ol days, but through cd's , videos, pics, etc... these memories will ALWAYS be there.

• e komo mai

I think bringing back the mermaids is a bad idea. Here are some reasons why:

1. The reason why they stopped it is that men were jumping into the sub lagoon to get to them. The last thing DL needs is straight men and lesbians drowning in their lagoon.

2. Skin cancer.

3. There were no mermaids in Finding Nemo.

4. Boredom. Can you imagine being those CMs?

5. There were no mermen.

I think the original post makes a good point, and that a lot of arguements are being made that address other points.

It's funny, because while at the park yesterday, I had 20 minutes to walk through the stores in Frontier and Adventureland. I was expecting to find cool themed items, unique and fun, like I remember from many years ago. I was shocked that it felt like I was, for the most part, at a Disney Store in the mall. Those things did make Disney special, and they are missed. I see far too many of the same exact items at every stand and store in DL.

Knott's has done this to the extreme and killed the park IMHO.

- Because things are getting much better, it's still ok to bring up where they still fall short. We can hope for change.

Blog Entries

I do agree with that statement and it is a fact that Disney has done away with most stores that have any theme in more of an effort to make money in all the stores. So most stores are now just generic disney stores with maybe one or two things themed to the area. I think Pirates is one of the few stores in the Magic Kingdom in Florida (which is my park) that still has the theming.

Luckily, they haven't gone to the complete extreme of even doing this in the countries of Epcot, at least those are themed still but almost every other store is generic. I would assume that Disneyland gets the same marketing treatment.

• Banned User

This is what I miss from 'Good Old' Disneyland:

Old Souvenir Guide books presented bu Polaroid and Kodak with picture taking tips and colorful fold-up maps
    Summer operating days closing at 1 a.m. with two daytime parades and two Main Street Electrical Parades
    The Skyway
    Circle-Vision 360 American Journeys
    The old Walt Disney Story/Mr Lincoln (before Gettysburg)
    Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through
    Character Shop (pre-Star Trader in Tomorrowland)
    Alpine Gifts (where Ariel's Grotto is)
    Captain EO
    Daytime Parades like Totally Minnie, Mousercise, Celebration USA, World According to Goofy
    Small World Gifts
    PeopleMover
    Swiss Family Treehouse
    Country Bear Playhouse
    Old Ticket Booths at Main Entrance
    Old Disneyland Signs on Harbor Blvd
    Old Parking Lot
    Monorail Cafe and shops
    Old Ticket Designs
    America Sings
    Motor Boat Cruise (I've been on these once)
    Seasonal Promotions like Circus Fantasy, Blast to the Past, Disney Afternoon, Mickey's Month
    Old Disneyland Shopping Bags (1980-1989)
    and many other nostalgic memories

I tell you what I don't like. I think tomorrow land is a mess. It's missing something.

maybe it's just me

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I kinda agree with the first post. I think Disney Gallery is the most unique store Disneyland has to offer. I also like the Baton Rouge store (The one that sells NBC products). But all the other Disneyland stores sell the same things that can be found around the park and in malls. I also think that they should cut down on most of the prices because we know all of the Disney products were cheaply made.

I think some of the products are sold out of context too. I mean you should only be able to buy Stitch/Buzz stuff in Tomorrowland, Princess stuff in Fantasyland, Pocohontas/Woody stuff in Frontierland, etc. Main Street should sell unique stuff again like they did with the Magic Shop, China Closet, and other of the past Disneyland stores.

I remember that Disneyland use to sell Moccasins...which was cool.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 04-03-2006 at 12:39 PM.

• CM for 4 years!

I miss the old Katella and Harbor.

You know, PRE-Anaheim-sign-ordinances.

God, driving up Katella by Disneyland at night used to be phenomenal.

Now, it's mediocre at best.

But, it's enough for me to drive past the Satellite Grocery every day and see that they put their legacy-- their nebula-- right their on their Anaheim-approved sign, even if it's not a 3-d planetary satellite any more!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Sock Puppet

I forgot to mention this too, what I also miss is seeing Arthur walking around with his bag and picking up lost and found items and saying hello to all of the cast members. Now, there is an icon that is missing from the park. For those who never had a chance to meet Arthur, you sure missed a real treat. I was one of the fortunate ones that got that opportunity, when I was a cast member.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    What old cool Space Mountain?
    Perhaps the one where you could see the steel supports and were jolted around in trains that were equipped with audio but never worked???

• Banned User

^Don't get smart....I really meant just the music- it was so much better- the one they have no should be used for Rockit Mountain.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

As much as I love Aquarium, it just doesn't fit Space Mountain. We have California Screamin' for coasters and guitars. Dick Dale would actually fit perfectly in Paradise Pier.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Let's not forget the great speed ramp up to Space Mountain where you got to watch a live band down on the Space Stage while you waited in line.
    You mean the ramp where you go up and can't tell until you're up there that it's crowded beyond belief so you smash into the people in front of you and then look around in horror at all the other people coming up the ramp without a clue as to how many bodies are packed on the roof and here they come OOOF!

That ramp?

I do believe that Space Mountain without music is quickly becoming a lost art though, and I think that's sad. Chances are the upcoming rebuilding of the WDW mountain will have more blaring overproduced orchestral pieces like Anaheim and Paris do.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    As much as I love Aquarium, it just doesn't fit Space Mountain. We have California Screamin' for coasters and guitars. Dick Dale would actually fit perfectly in Paradise Pier.
    I agree! I never remembered the old Space Mountain music before the 6-disc anniversary set that was released before the 50th. When I listened to that audio I immediately thought "Paradise Pier" ... Surf guitar definately doesnt fit in Space. I think the new music works better, but I suppose I'm in the minority with that.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Needs the smell of summer

I love the new space mountain music. I play it on my way to work, to kinda get me motivated - It's expecially exciting when I am passing semi's on the freeway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast