Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

I miss the 'Good Old' Disneyland

I have been thinking about this for awhile. In ways I miss the 'older' Disneyland then the presnt-day one. It use to be better- better shops, better atmosphere, just it was overally better.

Disneyland to me sort of feels like it has stopped 'growing.' Fantasmic! continues to be stuck in its 1992 setup, with actually less then what was there in the beginning years of the show. All the rides basically remain the same. They have taken out more than adding. Take Country Bears and Skyway for example- what took its place? Nothing, well I count Pooh as a 'nothing' attraction.

The cool 'One-of-a-Kind' shop in New Orleans is gone. All the shops no longer have anything really cool in them, except for the Disneyana store. Its like basically stuff you can find at any mall. I just don't know...I no longer get such a great vibe from the place anymore- so therefore I am losing my obsession greatly every day.

I just wish Disney would 'do' more with the Resort. Maybe I expect too much, but I think that all the attractions should be updated with current technology and such. Make Fantasmic! better and add back in some of the really unique stores.

That is what has greatly affected me the most, they have taken out so much of the cool little things that use to be at Disneyland- like the Big Thunder Mountain Ranch with those great ribs and the cool shops and Rocket Jets and the old cool Space Mountain. I don't know, I just feel like every year, Disney loses more and more detail.

Do you of you guys feel the same way that Disney has lost some of its appeal over the years?
    Last edited by A Disney Dreamer; 04-02-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Re: I miss the 'Good Old' Disneyland

I think the removal of so many attractions that very possibly could have stayed is what ticks people off, ie: The Subs, Rocket Rods (with a big rehab), SkyWay (not that I like it, I just know many did), Keel Boats etc.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

What old cool Space Mountain?

• Banned User

^Great music, better effects, better everything. The new one feels like your in a disco ball.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Change can be sad.

Sometimes it's for the better, sometimes not...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I miss the Yestertomorrowland.

Or is that an oxymoron?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    I miss the Yestertomorrowland.

Or is that an oxymoron?
    Who doesn't mis Yestertomorrowland. However, I think if it had remained TL67 we'd be griping about how old and dated it is.

I find it kind of upsetting that Disney fans never seem to be happy about the company. We always long for the past. Why is that? Disneyland 2006 is quite entertaining and in better shape than its been in for at least 10 years. Sure, there are things that need to be worked on, but I don't expect anything can ever be perfect - not even Disneyland. And that's fine.

Why must we rip Disneyland apart all the time? Why do we complain over everything?

You miss the "old" "cool" Space Mountain? ..I hardly find THIS cooler than THIS. And I don't think being Space is like being in a disco ball. If you pay attention, the pattern the Space Mountain projectors create appear quite different than a mirror ball.
    And sorry, but thank god we have some projections of some realistic looking asteroids and nebulae instead of the chocolate chip cookies we used to have! And don't even get me started on the improved rockets!

I dont know... I guess that although the past might've held some good things, its also good to live in the present and look forward to whats to come. Oh well..

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Super saucy pixie!

I will agree. I think there have been about 15 years of a stagnant Disneyland. The changes that have occured haven't been really great ones. I think they need to stick with the theming of places a bit more, bring in more unique items into the shops, bring back the atmosphere talent, and things that were tested and true that people loved. Now with the impending removal of Bengal Barbecue though... I don't see that they pay that much attention to what the guest wants unfortunately. Not as Walt used to do.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
    I will agree. I think there have been about 15 years of a stagnant Disneyland. The changes that have occured haven't been really great ones. I think they need to stick with the theming of places a bit more, bring in more unique items into the shops, bring back the atmosphere talent, and things that were tested and true that people loved. Now with the impending removal of Bengal Barbecue though... I don't see that they pay that much attention to what the guest wants unfortunately. Not as Walt used to do.
    Exactly...That is exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks Tink. =]

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Who doesn't mis Yestertomorrowland. However, I think if it had remained TL67 we'd be griping about how old and dated it is.

I find it kind of upsetting that Disney fans never seem to be happy about the company. We always long for the past. Why is that? Disneyland 2006 is quite entertaining and in better shape than its been in for at least 10 years. Sure, there are things that need to be worked on, but I don't expect anything can ever be perfect - not even Disneyland. And that's fine.

Why must we rip Disneyland apart all the time? Why do we complain over everything?

You miss the "old" "cool" Space Mountain? ..I hardly find THIS cooler than THIS. And I don't think being Space is like being in a disco ball. If you pay attention, the pattern the Space Mountain projectors create appear quite different than a mirror ball.
    And sorry, but thank god we have some projections of some realistic looking asteroids and nebulae instead of the chocolate chip cookies we used to have! And don't even get me started on the improved rockets!

I dont know... I guess that although the past might've held some good things, its also good to live in the present and look forward to whats to come. Oh well..
    I'm not complaining Andy. I just miss all the old GREAT WONDERFUL shops they use to have. They were fun and creative. Today? not so much. And I'm not dwelling on the past, but in some ways, the past was better- look at TL- it was so much better 10 years ago. Even Fantasmic! had more to offer in 1992 (ursula float being the main one). And yes, the Space we have now is a disco ball- be it or not- its NOT impressive. Some disco spinning stars- wow. And that asteroid- big deal- there is only one! Space use to have so much more planets- and no, they didn't look like chocolate chip cookies- where the heck did you make that up. They were fun, I remember when I was little I was always scared by them because I thought they would suck me up!

Plus, Disney has not been so high on quality lately. Pooh, cheaper merchandise, less and less in shows (No Snow, No Dapper Dans pretty soon, leSS is F!) its slowly been going on 'what will make more money' than 'how will this make a guest's day' And also, they pack the place up tooo much- during firework time, it gets hairy- imagine if there was a fire how many people would perish- ehh not pretty- but that wouldnt' be Disney fault now would it?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I would hardly consider Rocket Rods as part of the
    "Good Old Disneyland". RR's is just one of the MANY
    failures of the recent Disneyland.
    (or maybe I'm just REALLY OLD.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

During the 50th, they really have had
    some neat merchandise. BUT what drives
    me absolutely CrAzY, is merchandise that
    has both "Disnleyland Resort" and
    "Walt Disney World" on it. BLECCCCCCCHHHHHH!
    And especially when they try to sell
    miniature Buzz Lightyear Ride Vehicles at a time
    when the park didn't even HAVE the attraction,
    and more recently when they TRY to sell a
    "Magic Kingdom" Boardgame that is obviously
    WDW and NOT a DL layout (it doesn't have
    New Orleans Square).

MAKE THE MERCHANDISE DL SPECIFIC!!!!!
    They are so damn lazy that they couldn't
    have a separate DL box for the DL Merchandise,
    and one for merchandise sold at WDW, to
    at least make it look special?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Uhm the only one change in fantasmic was the Ursula Float... so that whole, so many things were taken out from 1992 is a failed arguement...

And plus, I went on Space mountain in 2001, and I remember loving the thrill, but hated the cheesy spaceness... I swear I saw a wall with glow in the dark paint at one point, and some bouncy balls....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Space use to have so much more planets- and no, they didn't look like chocolate chip cookies- where the heck did you make that up.
    The cookie is no lie. One of the asteroids at Disneyland, and still one at Magic Kingdom, was a chocolate chip cookie.

less and less in shows (No Snow, No Dapper Dans pretty soon, leSS is F!)
    Snow White is in rehersals. Dapper Dans have to reaudition, not being destroyed. Please stop whining about one float.

And also, they pack the place up tooo much- during firework time, it gets hairy- imagine if there was a fire how many people would perish- ehh not pretty- but that wouldnt' be Disney fault now would it?
    So people shouldn't want to watch the fireworks? What was Disney thinking when they decided to make an enjoyable fireworks show? And fire is why they don't launch when it's windy.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'm not complaining Andy. I just miss all the old GREAT WONDERFUL shops they use to have. They were fun and creative. Today? not so much. And I'm not dwelling on the past, but in some ways, the past was better- look at TL- it was so much better 10 years ago. Even Fantasmic! had more to offer in 1992 (ursula float being the main one). And yes, the Space we have now is a disco ball- be it or not- its NOT impressive. Some disco spinning stars- wow. And that asteroid- big deal- there is only one! Space use to have so much more planets- and no, they didn't look like chocolate chip cookies- where the heck did you make that up. They were fun, I remember when I was little I was always scared by them because I thought they would suck me up!

Plus, Disney has not been so high on quality lately. Pooh, cheaper merchandise, less and less in shows (No Snow, No Dapper Dans pretty soon, leSS is F!) its slowly been going on 'what will make more money' than 'how will this make a guest's day' And also, they pack the place up tooo much- during firework time, it gets hairy- imagine if there was a fire how many people would perish- ehh not pretty- but that wouldnt' be Disney fault now would it?
    Oh well. To each his own. I think the 50th has brought in a lot of quality that's been missed. More appropriately-themed, park-specific merchandise. New attractions, although not E-Tickets, quality C & D-tickets. A fireworks show that is absolutely out-of-this-world. Refurbs that were better than any refurb we saw during the Pressler or Harris eras (Tiki, Jungle, Space, upcoming Pirates, upcoming HM enhancements, upcoming Subs)... More paint than we can shake a stick at.

Despite all of the flaws Disneyland still has, I find it really hard to complain anymore since things are definately on the upswing. We don't have management that only cares about making themselves look good to their higher-ups. We have management that cares about the parks, the attractions, and most importantly - the guests. And even if we're still missing some attractions, restaurants, and shops that should have never left to begin with, I couldn't be happier with the current situation at Disneyland.

That's why I'm so confused as to why Disneyland fans still complain like crazy about the parks. Of course we have problems. But at least they're being worked on. And at least we aren't in a continuous decay anymore like we were just a few years ago. At least we aren't on a down-hill slope anymore like Walt Disney World is encountering at an increasing pace.

Things are looking up! And I couldn't be happier!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    That's why I'm so confused as to why Disneyland fans still complain like crazy about the parks. Of course we have problems. But at least they're being worked on. And at least we aren't in a continuous decay anymore like we were just a few years ago. At least we aren't on a down-hill slope anymore like Walt Disney World is encountering at an increasing pace.

Things are looking up! And I couldn't be happier!
    Because Eisner killed Walt! It's true.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast