View Poll Results: Which do you like the best?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Original West Coast Disneyland PeopleMover attraction

40 63.49%
  • Walt Disney World's MK Tomorrowland Transit Authority

12 19.05%
  • Disneyland's brief Rocket Rods (or a follow-up version that works)

11 17.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

(Certainly not the last) People Mover thread

Do you guys prefer the West Coast or East Coast versions of the PeopleMover, or do you want something fast like the Rocket Rods?

The West Coast version has vehicles with roofs that go around an open air track.

The East Coast version at WDW Magic Kingdom has open air vehicles that run through a covered track.

Rocket Rods was a high speed exceleration type follow up to the Disneyland PeopleMover.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: (Certainly not the last) People Mover thread

I will always love the Rocket Rods concept, I never rode.

But as far as a WEDway, covered cars for Disneyland. A covered track would look horrible.

I think that a west coast version works the best, as the elements of Florida weather aren't present here and it was relaxing to glide across TL on a lazy southern California afternoon. And I agree with the above poster, a covered track would be horrible. And also out of place.

As for Rocket Rods, they were cool when they lasted, I just wished they would have put more effort, money, or whatever, to have them last and work a bit longer. It just didn't truly fit in, and it seemed boring at time, with all the places of emptiness, however the brief whip into Space Mountain was neat.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't care about the roof so much, although I prefer in-car audio the the sound system installed every few feet in the roof in Florida.

But for the love of Jiminy Cricket, PLEASE use the Florida system for movement! No more "Go Go Goodyear" tires! The DL one broke down so much that I refused to ever ride it at night after being in a few 101s. The MK one runs like a champ.

• ...TWO BITS!

Covered cars for DL. At least this will make it different than WDW's.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Hey, that's not Rose!

I may be crazy but RODS all the way baby! I am one of the 8 people that LOVED them, but yes they did need the banked turns. That Test Track in the sky, wait....Sky Track! Yes I like that. They soooooooooooooooooo have the money to do it!
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

Rocket Rods Rocked my World.

• white and nerdy

I think it should be made into a kingdom hearts ride.

Of course, I currently think that everything should be made into a kingdom hearts ride...

As long as we are wishing for things that may never come.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Old style attraction w/o covered track, but new motor system. I agree that the old "motorized tired every ten feet" thing is wildly outdated and has no place in any Tomorrowland past 1967. Linear Induction Motors (the WTA method) are still not "tomorrow" though.

Even a maglev system could be considered outdated since they're already in operation in various places around the world. But with a lack of anything more advanced, that would be the best thing to use at first thought.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    Old style attraction w/o covered track, but new motor system. I agree that the old "motorized tired every ten feet" thing is wildly outdated and has no place in any Tomorrowland past 1967. Linear Induction Motors (the WTA method) are still not "tomorrow" though.

Even a maglev system could be considered outdated since they're already in operation in various places around the world. But with a lack of anything more advanced, that would be the best thing to use at first thought.
    I think Disney shoudl just drop the propulsion aspect fo the futurism. The non stop movement of the vehicles is what I see as still being novel about the concept. Heck, they've been telling us monorail are the transportation system of the future for nearly fifty years!

• Use the Force

I only ever went on the DL PM and Rocket Rods, definitely liked the original PM...especially when it had the TRON bit...
    Disneyland Fan Since 1985

Next Trip: July 6 for the Premier of Dead Man's Chest!!!!!!!!!!

• Minion

I have always liked the PM. It was great relaxing attraction, there never was line and you could view all of TM. Always liked the loop over the subs, motorboats and autopia. At night it was kinda cool. From the speed tunnel to the realm of TRON there was always something to look forward to. AT DW the PM is covered and never liked that, then again I have not been to DW since 1988. Please bring it back it would rule just the way it was.....
    Jason

• Theme Park Advocate

Hands down the the tilting roof cars of the classic DL attraction. As for the propulsion system my personal opinion would be along the lines of "what is best for the company". By that I mean, yes you could use maglev or LIMs but would the cost of installing such a system not be profitable or that the running costs of said system would be astronomically high considering the price of electricity in the state of California. As unreliable as the "Goodyear" system was it did offer theoretical cost savings in the amount of energy used to propel the ride vechicals (this is why many of the newer Roller Coasters use friction wheels for the lifts, many small motors instead of one power hungry chain lift motor). Another couple of advantages to the "Goodyear" way is the parts are off the shelf and the friction wheels are always turning, if done correctly (ie. weight and all) the wheels will have enough inertia to propel the car with little strain on the motor, their by allowing smaller motors more inexpensive motors. With the smaller cheeper motor their is then the ability to have more of them to provide a smother flow along the track. Low inital investment + low overall overhead = Winning situation while keeping an enjoyable "Family" ride.

- side note -
    My problem with Rocket Rods was that it was not a family ride nor did it represent a transportation system of tomorrow. Personally I do not want to think that our transportation system of the future will have a height requirement.

Future scenario: Father and two kids are going to go to the store to buy groceries. They walk down to the bus stop and prepare to board. For the youngest kid, this is their first time on the bus, they are so excited that on the walk down they just could not hardly contain themselves. The eldest bounds into the bus with all the energy that comes with youth with the youngest flying high right behind. At that moment the driver stops the little one and eyes them up and down, comparing the little on to the chart behind them. I a gruffy voice, yet polite, says to the father "Too short... come back in a few years when their tall enough." Dejected the Father and his two kids get off the bus and walk the rest of the way to the store as buses full of happy smilely faces go zooming past.

themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alex-jmp
    Hands down the the tilting roof cars of the classic DL attraction. As for the propulsion system my personal opinion would be along the lines of "what is best for the company". By that I mean, yes you could use maglev or LIMs but would the cost of installing such a system not be profitable or that the running costs of said system would be astronomically high considering the price of electricity in the state of California. As unreliable as the "Goodyear" system was it did offer theoretical cost savings in the amount of energy used to propel the ride vechicals (this is why many of the newer Roller Coasters use friction wheels for the lifts, many small motors instead of one power hungry chain lift motor). Another couple of advantages to the "Goodyear" way is the parts are off the shelf and the friction wheels are always turning, if done correctly (ie. weight and all) the wheels will have enough inertia to propel the car with little strain on the motor, their by allowing smaller motors more inexpensive motors. With the smaller cheeper motor their is then the ability to have more of them to provide a smother flow along the track. Low inital investment + low overall overhead = Winning situation while keeping an enjoyable "Family" ride.

Long term operation of the MagLev system (running on electricty) would be cheaper than the continuous instalation of oil based products that would eventually HAVE to be phased out... If we are living in a world of tomorrow which will be petroium free... GoodYear is not the future... (Sorry Cheveron...)

I do invision a future where plastics will be mined out of landfills that used to be garbage dumps as well as harvested from plant oils... Interesting huh?
    Check out my other blog:

• Merry 2014!

Part of the problem is that the DL tomorrowland is less and less about the world of tomorrow. It is about futuristic thrills. I think many people care less about tomorrow and more about the thrills of today, therefore something as gentle as pople mover hasn't any hope of recovery. which is sad because it is just what tomorrowland needs, a real family ride like People Mover.

Back to topic, I have only experienced the DL People Mover. Loved it. Used to ride twice in a row. Really like the look of it too. What is cool about the WDW version is the versitility of the system. It is adaptable to different weather patterns in regions. Too bad it isn't a viable soulution to crowded, accident prone freeways. The car lobbyists wouldn't like it very much, lol.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast