Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ways to enhance a non-DL lover's experience

My girlfriend, who does not have the same passion for DL as myself, is pretty much forced to goto DL with me. She seems to enjoy it to some extent...but does not LOVE it. Upon telling her i wanna go again in a few weeks, she was like "ahh... okay... fine." It kills me :P She is the person I want to spend my life with, but she doesnt like DL anywhere close to as much as me.

She grew up across the country, so never ended up "addicted" to Disneyland. I love her, and I love Disneyland.. but they wont both go together perfectly. If I had to pick, I'd pick her.. But......

What types of things might make someone love Disneyland more? If I could get her addicted to Disneyland like I am, Life would be *ALMOST* perfect

• I was deleted.

Re: Ways to enhance a non-DL lover's experience

Oh! I know the feeling. My ex-boyfriend found joy in making me happy. For example he knew how much I loved the characters and so when I would get to see Mickey, Peter Pan, etc. and he would take the time out to let me do that things would be better for both of us. I was also quite considerate about what he wanted to do throughout the day. I would let him pick where to eat, etc. because sometimes that is all it takes.

But one of my best friends is going to DL with me for the day and I'm sort of in the same rut. She knows we're going to go and she even suggested it on our weekend in LA. She loves different things (LOVES DAK at WDW) but how do I get her more excited about DL?

• white and nerdy

Heh.. I don't have to worry about that. My wife is a bigger nut than I am.

I suggest telling them to shut up and let you have your childlike fantasy. Then you have to do something they like.. for example... if they don't like disneyland perhaps they like... I don't know... killing puppies? You can kill puppies with them for a few hours.

Or whatever, the point is relationships are give and take. If they visit disneyland with you, you kill a few puppies for them... it all equals out.

Though it's been proven that relationships where both parties equaly love Disneyland last 82.43% longer than relationships where one party doesn't like disneyland.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Vehicle rotating backward

Is the Fantasmic buffet at the Gallery still in operation? If that doesn't do it, nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Or whatever, the point is relationships are give and take. If they visit disneyland with you, you kill a few puppies for them... it all equals out.

Unfortunatey, she loves puppies. as do I :/

I just wish that what I love could also be something she loves or at least LIKES (if I drag her, and she "tolerates" it.. it doesnt seem as good to me)

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Though it's been proven that relationships where both parties equaly love Disneyland last 82.43% longer than relationships where one party doesn't like disneyland.

Nice stat! Where was that one proven... your head?
    Quote Originally Posted by wlc
    I just wish that what I love could also be something she loves or at least LIKES (if I drag her, and she "tolerates" it.. it doesnt seem as good to me)
    Try to seek out new experiences or events such as places to eat, music to listen to, etc, etc. Maybe that would help?

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan

Nice stat! Where was that one proven... your head?
    Did you know that 95% is a very large percentage?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by wlc
    Unfortunatey, she loves puppies. as do I :/

in all seriousness, I understand. With Disneyland freaks... or with anything really, I think that the other person has to make a genuine effort to fall in love with the things the other person loves. My wife loves cheesy horror movies. Before I met her I really hated horror... I made every effort to love them as much as I could, and now I really do. Same with Anime, Video Games, Tecno dancing, and chef boyardee (sp?!) She learned to love Country Music, camping, texas holdum', road tripping, geneology, and a ton of other stuff for me... you fake it at first, but making a genuine effort (including individual research) to learn and love someone elses passion is a huge part of being in a relationship. I'd talk about it with them...

Blog Entries

I know the feeling. I am obsessed with WDW. My wife likes the place, but she thinks I am losing my mind when I start talking about Disney. She normally just stares at me until I stop. I admit, I'm a fanatic. For instance, I wanted to have our wedding at Disney and she told me in no uncertain terms that it wasn't going to happen. I would like to go to Disney 4 times a year, I'll be lucky to get once every other year.

I so wish we shared one major passion together except for each other, but we don't. And in the end, I have to remember that Disney will never hold me at night, take care of me when I'm sick, or have my children. So I'm having to grow up a bit. It's sad, but Disney will always be there when we can come and one day I hope to share this passion with my children.

I love the park, dear hubby really would rather not even tolerate it. So, I go without him! There are lots that we can do together, but we don't have to do EVERYTHING. I actually prefer going w/out him,that way I don't have the stress of worrying whether he is enjoying himself.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

My hubby isn't a big fan, either. So, I go without him, too. Keep in mind that we live in Texas, so going isn't easy or cheap by far. If he doesn't like going, it just saves more money than me dragging him along. My daughter's haven't been to DL, only WDW, so this year I'm taking them. The oldest one and I are going in July as our birthday presents. And then in November, I'll take the younger two for their birthday's. He gets to stay home and not worry about me badgering him. Win/Win!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

I don't think there's anything you can do to "enhance a non-DL lover's experience." The park itself is full of amazing things that should bring joy and delight to anyone. If your girl prefers roller coasters, stick to those and avoid Fantasy Land and slow moving rides. If she likes shows, take her to those. Try and see what she likes and focus on that.

You should also realize that she may never love DL as much as you do. People have different interests, and that usually makes relationships more interesting. As long as she's willing to go with you and enjoys herself, that should be enough - just cuz she's not out of her mind with excitement doesn't mean she's not a keeper.

My husband wasn't a Disney fan prior to meeting me, but he's become one by default. He doesn't love it as I do, but he goes with me sometimes (though I go more without him) and he was willing to take our honeymoon at WDW. (We went there first and then Jamaica - another compromise!)

Appreciate the fact that she's willing to go with you, and as another poster said, do things she likes to do outside of DL as well. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Sounds like a question for Dr Laura...

1-800-DRLAURA

Good luck!

• Use the Force

I don't know that there is any way to get a non-Disney lover to love DL. I agree with thejoshualee in saying that if you love someone you should make a sincere effort to do the things they like (without being a jerk about it). My ex hated anything theater. But I loved the musical CATS so he decided to take me. Nice, huh? Until he spent the entire show making snide comments, sighing loudly and complaining. Ruined the whole thing for me (and probably the people around us). We broke up not long after, as that was the theme of our relationship.

My fiancee now has never been to DL but when I told him I'd like to make a DL trip part of our honeymoon he was all for it. He's not a big Disney fan, but he said he'd go and try it out. He pretty much said if he hates it, since he knows I'm an addict, that he'd be willing to do every other year and mix it up with places he wants to go.

It's all about compromising and putting yourself out sometimes for the person you love. And really, sometimes you end up enjoying yourself despite yourself!
    Disneyland Fan Since 1985

Next Trip: July 6 for the Premier of Dead Man's Chest!!!!!!!!!!

• Minion

omg ... i feel like you're reading my mind

i am in the same boat as you, wlc. my boyfriend (who i also see as "the one" and want to spend the rest of my life with) doesnt share the same joy as me when thinking about disneyland. well, really anything disney in general.

i got him a pass for christmas so we could go whenever we wanted. we go maybe twice a month, but every time i say i wanna go, i hear a sigh from him. he'll go, but i feel bad in the end ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast