Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    • Rat Tat Tat.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    428

    New Splash Log(Jammer)s

    From what I have gathered from the CM's working Splash Mountain, you are no longer allowed to sit in the last seat in ALL of the logs (not even single riders) due to the additional weight causing the logs to jam frequently. One CM even pointed out how they had spent so much money and now they can't even use them for what they were intended to do. Fortunately, I had 2 opportunities to sit in the rear before they stopped loading it...so at least I know what it's like (more exposed to on coming water and slick hard plastic, not rubber, seats). What are your thoughts?

  2. #2

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    116
    Ughh imo the older logs had more leg room than these new ones in the first 5 seats, and it would be fine for them to spend hundeds of thousands of dollars to increase the capacity significantly like originally intended, but now that we're back at the beginning but with less legroom is a very unfortunate situation.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    643
    I just can't believe this! Maybe I'm overlooking something, but shouldn't the new log design have been tested to make sure it worked before they changed all of the logs? It seems that somebody really messed up here...

  4. #4

    • The Uber Film Geek
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Posts
    188
    Well, they did test the logs. There are dozens of fan photos on the net showing these tests. Did they just not properly weigh down the logs during the tests? It makes no sense.

    Of course, this doesn't effect me too much, considering I have never been on Splash Mountain and I never plan to be on it (me + big drops = no way).
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

  5. #5

    • Rat Tat Tat.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    428
    How did the smaller logs float before with more people in them than these larger (and presumably more buoyant) logs with fewer or the same amount of people (compared to the original logs)? Maybe all the additional seating stuff has made them heavier? or the fact that they had been putting two people in the back had made it lower than the front?

  6. #6

    • Who Loves Disneyland?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    66
    Does anyone know if Disneyland will fix the problem before May 5th or will they just continue to have people not sit in the very back? I always enjoyed sitting in the very back seat of the log. :confused:
    I See SPOTS!!!!!!


    Magic Kingdom 1992 and 2008
    Disneyland 1984, 1987, 1993 (3x's), 1998, 2005, 2007

  7. #7

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 Dalmatians Rule
    Does anyone know if Disneyland will fix the problem before May 5th or will they just continue to have people not sit in the very back? I always enjoyed sitting in the very back seat of the log. :confused:
    Well, we have yet to see the old logs up on Disney auctions so I guess there still is hope for them to fix this problem! Hopefully someone will realize something is up. And with how lucky we have been with recent things... hopefully it will be CM Matt?

  8. #8

    • My Children's Father
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Island in the Sun
    Posts
    1,497
    This is unbelievable. I cannot believe they did not do adequate testing. I say bring back the ORIGINAL logs. Can I get a witness?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

  9. #9

    • Leave 'em wanting more!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    I just can't believe this! Maybe I'm overlooking something, but shouldn't the new log design have been tested to make sure it worked before they changed all of the logs? It seems that somebody really messed up here...
    Maybe the CMs on Splash were incorrect. It's makes more sense than to sit here and bang your head over how this was tested and doesn't work. What it really comes down to is, no one is really sure just yet what the problem is.

    - FNDA
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

  10. #10

    • Feel the breeze!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the beach!
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid
    How did the smaller logs float before with more people in them than these larger (and presumably more buoyant) logs with fewer or the same amount of people (compared to the original logs)? Maybe all the additional seating stuff has made them heavier? or the fact that they had been putting two people in the back had made it lower than the front?
    I would guess that both the longer length of the new logs, combined with the extra weight combine to provide a double whammy for the logs.

  11. #11

    • My Children's Father
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Island in the Sun
    Posts
    1,497
    Are the newest logs the same diameter and length as the previous logs? If they are the larger, navigating through the flume would result in more bumping against the flume walls, yet would provide extra buoyancy for the extra weight. If, however, the logs are the same size, they'll probably sink into the water more with the additioanl weight of another person and/or whatever was added to the log. Either way, it could be a problem.

    If only a competent mechanical engineer could have handled this ..........right, Gwyren?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,123
    I loved the original logs, with just a bench seat and handles.
    Every size person could fit.
    Now didn't they space people out when they went to those other logs, were they putting larger people in the back?
    This concerns my husband and myself (more him than me)!
    But really, how is all this going to affect us larger people?

  13. #13

    • Feel the breeze!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    On the beach!
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Are the newest logs the same diameter and length as the previous logs? If they are the larger, navigating through the flume would result in more bumping against the flume walls, yet would provide extra buoyancy for the extra weight. If, however, the logs are the same size, they'll probably sink into the water more with the additioanl weight of another person and/or whatever was added to the log. Either way, it could be a problem.

    If only a competent mechanical engineer could have handled this ..........right, Gwyren?
    They are definitely longer. I cannot tell if they are larger in diameter and either Splash Mountain has become wetter, the new logs are designed to "enhance" the weeting effect, or they ride lower in the water. I have a feeling they ride lower in the water, but have no proof of that.

    The logs do not seem to have as much open area inside of the log either. I would not be surprised to learn that they weigh more per unit of length compared to the old logs.

    I would love to see the assumptions made in building these logs. The goal of upping ridership is laudable, but to spend money for nothing is something only governments try and do.

  14. #14

    • My Children's Father
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Island in the Sun
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyren
    They are definitely longer. I cannot tell if they are larger in diameter and either Splash Mountain has become wetter, the new logs are designed to "enhance" the weeting effect, or they ride lower in the water. I have a feeling they ride lower in the water, but have no proof of that.

    The logs do not seem to have as much open area inside of the log either. I would not be surprised to learn that they weigh more per unit of length compared to the old logs.

    I would love to see the assumptions made in building these logs. The goal of upping ridership is laudable, but to spend money for nothing is something only governments try and do.

    Hey! I work for the government, I'm only here to help! Big businesses with huge bureaucracies often have the same problems ....
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

  15. #15

    • Rat Tat Tat.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    428
    The only jam that I have witnessed was the return of a rather overburdened log (every seat taken and two in the far back and all in the group adults/large) making the bend just before going under the bridge into the station appeared to be low enough in the water to wedge a bumper or ledge at the bottom of the log caught under some mechanical or support parts just before the conveyor belt. Did the older logs have any parts that went out further than the log itself under water? The new ones appear to in the front and the back (as well as the wheels).
    Last edited by revol yensid; 04-03-2005 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clarifying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's up with Splash???
    By Professortango in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 11:07 PM
  2. Splash Mt
    By mini_imagineer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
  3. What Splash needs is...
    By mrfantasmic in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 12:59 AM
  4. Splash and GRR
    By VWSpawn in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 10:25 AM
  5. 4/12: Splash Down
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •