Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There is a Haunted Mansion in Salt Lake City Modeled After Disneyland's

I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread... Disneyland or Other...

I work for the Rocky Point Haunted House (RPHH) in Salt Lake City. We are considered to be the "Best Overall Haunted Attraction in the Country" by Frighttimes Magazine and a bunch of other big Haunt Industry People. (If you're not in the Haunted House business these names wouldn't mean anything to you) According to them though, we are referred to as the "Disneyland of Haunted Attractions". People flock from all over the world to see our haunt, and if you own a haunted attraction you know who we are, even if you've never been. We have a 2nd RPHH inside of Hong Kong's Ocean Park Theme Park. Making us the ONLY international haunted house.

Anyways... The reason I'm sharing this with everyone is because I thought you might be interested to know that the RPHH has it's own version of Disney's Haunted Mansion.

The Haunted Mansion isn't the only attraction within our haunt. We also cover the latest in Hollywood movies. (Not just horror either) We currently have a section modeled after the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. We go through Universal, Warner Bros, etc. to re-create these huge blockbuster movies.

Back to Disney... The HM is modeled after Disneyland's New Orleans style plantation manor and has had the help of Disney Imaginers along the way.

There are other Haunted House's throughout the country that really look to Disney for inspiration. Well we did that, and some. Disney has really helped us in the construction process of our HM attraction within our haunt. They have given us copies of original molds of numerous props and special effects to use throughout our mansion. Some of the sets pieces that we use are exact copies (via mold) of very famous "items" that can be found around the Disneyland attraction, ie; Marble Busts, HM Plaques, Paintings, and statues. Disney Imaginers have even assisted in the mansion's construction by creating blueprints that co-inside with special effects that are used through out the attraction.

Although our attraction was inspired by Disneyland's Ride and movie, it is not just a copy. This one has a story, and has more of a focus on the darker side of the ride. (the first half of it)

The layout and look are a lot different too. (You get to see the whole house before you enter not just a door and small facade, like most Haunted Houses) The manor is in good condition but has been forgotten. It has fallen into dis-repair in the sense that paint is peeling, leaves are scattered thought the grounds, and the family cemetery (which you have to walk through to get to the mansion) is falling apart. (it doesn't help that some of the family members have decided to "wake up" either)

Some of the character's names and events that occur are the same though. Ramsley and Master Gracey are the main characters you interact with during your "stay" at this haunted estate. But you may also run into the ghostly bride that haunts the halls of this possessed manor. (via peppers ghost illusion) Paintings begin to strech and speak, Ghosts walk along with you down narrow hallways (and can be seen only in {3} mirrors), a floating candelabra atop a staircase beckoning you to enter, there has even been a death in the family and you're just in time for the funeral (although the body of the deceased has gone missing... ps. he hung himself in the attic), "pop up" ghosts are a must, and good old creepy fun is to be had by all.

I hope you don't think I'm advertising for RPHH I just really wanted to share that with people who might show interest. I will be posting pictures soon. A lot of them have me in them so I apologize that I didn't get a wide shot of the rooms and effects used throughout the mansion but you will still like them. I've worked with RPHH as an Actor and Music Director for 6 years, and the mansion was new when I started in October 2000.

There are some photos of the Haunted House on www.rockypointhauntedhouse.com
    there are random close up photos (I guess they were trying to be creative) in the GALLERY section but there is a good one on the ATTRACTIONS page, just run your mouse over FEAR OF DEATH, and you will see the foyer of our HM.

In the mansion and graveyard's place from 1997-1999 was Main Street Gotham City. I heard that was pretty sweet, Batman had a 150' zipline that span the whole street and the Joker pulled up in his clown car just to ruin the party.

• Banned User

Re: There is a Haunted Mansion in Salt Lake City Modeled After Disneyland's

You are killing me, I always wanted a scarier version of the haunted mansion and it looks like you delivered! Unfortunately it is too far away for me to go.

• Banned User

Um is there pictures of the mansion? I couldn't find any on that site.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Ah, this is cool. I too have always wanted a scarier HM, I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Salt Lake.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Um is there pictures of the mansion? I couldn't find any on that site.
    Go to attractions on the left and then roll over Fear of Ghosts in the text. It is in red.

Btw how in the heck did you get Disney to give you the molds for the following busts!!!!???

• Banned User

^No, I meant the 'outside' part- the exterior.

That looks craaaazy!

So besides the statues and characters, are there any plot tie-ins from the DL version as well?
    Who's Got The Sweetest Disposition?
    One Guess... Guess Who?

• white and nerdy

As a Utahan, I have to add my acclaim to Rocky Point. The Haunted Mansion part is the very beginning of the attraction and forms a familiar and dang scary opening.

Seriously, I've been to just about every major haunted attraction in America but Rocky Point is on another level. I've been every year for... well... about 10 years now. It's my wife's favorite Halloween time tradition.

Most haunted attractions rely on darkness, strobe lights and jumping out fear. Rocky Point relies on the most detailed props, the most amazing professional makeup, genuinely creepy actors, and familiar scary stuff.

it scares me every time and their Haunted Mansion section is not only a great homage to the original Disney ride, but kicks it up a notch by using real actors. The special effects are the same, but..

Seriously, Utah in the autumn is a fantastic place to be. Along with everything else you need to see Rocky Point.

Plus the proceeds go to the Boy's and Girl's club. I don't think anyone makes money off of it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1934
    That looks craaaazy!

So besides the statues and characters, are there any plot tie-ins from the DL version as well?
    I'm sure jawnjarvas knows more than I do, but it seems the story is focused on the bride. She appears and dissappears a few times, looking scary and bloody. They also have these cool mesh paintings that people press their face on the opposite side off. the result is shocking.

I can't say enough about Rocky Point.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• For You!

Where is Rocky Point? I used to live in Utah and have been to so many haunted houses - I can't remember.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Needs the smell of summer

I've never been, but it's only a two hour drive, and I've got plenty of friends in SLC. I'm leaving for Florida in August though, when does it open? If I can make it, I definitely will!

• Infinitized!

Reading the start of this thread, the first thing that popped into my head was that Simpsons episode where Springfield Elementary is having the fair and they are using the slogan "Happiest Place On Earth." Then the Disney suits show up with their lawyers and Principal Skinner takes 'em out.

• Merry 2014!

OMG, that looks incredible! The detail is amazing. Hoe does it compare to Knott's Scary Farm? How did you get Disney to participate in the contruction?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Iron-Clad Allie

WOW! Where else on Eath can you see Disney and Universal attractions in the same place. Your HM sounds spook-arrific. I'd love to hear more about the Lord of the Rings attraction.

Do you have anything based on Six Flags rides? hee hee
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

I am still in shock that Disney allowed anyone else other than themselves to have the rights to The Haunted Mansion much less than give all the molds and their support. They must be getting something out of this? I am curious who you had to threaten lol to get these rights.

It always amazes me that Disney never made a theme park like Knotts Scary Farm or something of that nature. They could sweep the industry with that and make a ton of money. I really don't see a problem with that if they market it towards older people and put an age limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast