Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Is it time to put the Muppets away?

It's showing it's age. Please, but HISTA needs to go!

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I just think it is ironic that Disney has gotten people to the entrance of Monsters through the promotions you are talking about. Guests are told they have to wait an HOUR for Monsters. Guests turn away because the wait is too long and STILL won't go into MUPPETS! There is a big sign featuring Kermit and all his friends. No wait. Disserted... People just walk right past it and go somewhere else. I think this says something about the popularity of the Muppets or 3D movies or both.
    Same thing that happens to Winnie the Pooh and Splash Mountain. Heck, the Pooh characters have a designated area for Meet-n-greets. Muppets... well... sometimes Miss Piggy comes out to play...

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    I say just update the show with new show elements like they did at Shrek-4D at Universal.
    What...??

Muppet 3D was good the first few times. People still don't know there's stuff to see behind you (the projection room). I still enjoy Tough to be a Bug. HISTA & Muppets have the same repeatability to me. I'd like to see something done with the muppet building. Right now, I don't care if it's another Muppet attraction, just do something else with it.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Why do you keep talking?

I love Muppets 3-D I've seen that show a few times (like three ) yet I've never seen HISTA because that never interested me, I'm not even that curious about it. I like the Muppets as they are, but the show can get a little old. I'll still go see it (and bugs life too) because I think they're fun shows. If they want to plus them or update any of them I won't cry, I'll go watch and enjoy them.

But wouldn't it be cool if they could do different effects for different shows to change it up a bit so you never know exactly what your going to get? I say keep them, but if they want to add an attraction featuring the Muppets I won't complain.

You know what I find funny though? Up until a few years ago, I never knew Muppets were NOT Disney. So they fit right in too me.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• I was deleted.

This took me a while to wright and I know it's a lot. But hopefully someone will read it.

I was at DCA this weekend. After seeing the 60 minute wait for Monsters, I went into the Muppets, which is right next door, to see how busy it was.

First, you walked right in. Second, the crowd awaited a little longer than normal and still did not fill half the theater.
    With continuous shows every 17 minutes please realize each show won't be full with 584 guests.

It is not a bad show, it is just OLD! It is like eating left over spaghetti. You know it was once good, but right now it is nothing special.
    Yes, it is an older film. It started at the Disney-MGM Studios May 16, 1991 and was also the last thing that Jim Henson worked on. Although his focus (technology, ie. Waldo) or character choices (placing Bean as a main character over others, ie. Scooter, Animal, etc.) might be debatable it does make for a fun film with that nostalgia factor.[/quote]

When you have people falling over themselves to get into Monsters Inc, a RIDE, can Disney realize that 3D movies are dead? The Monsters ride is not that special, but it is new and it is a RIDE! Rides in Fantasyland are not new, but still are popular some 50 years later!
    Monsters is an attraction and Muppet*Vision 3D, while part of the park's Operation Department is a show. With that in mind they are different experiences for the audience. One you expect to go somewhere or do something as part of your experience and with the other you expect your experience to come to you once you enter the room.

Actually, while doing research for my case study paper on theme parks I found an article about 3D films and how they are increasing in popularity at theme parks worldwide today. It goes on to share how making the films 4D with elements of liquid, air, scents, etc. continue to make the experience exciting for guests of all ages. Even though Muppet*Vision's seats don't move like they do at Shrek 4D or the film quality is older there still are the elements of water and bubbles (not from the seat in front of you, but the ceiling). Muppet*Vision also has the bonus of a live character, Sweetums that is a park of the show as he interacts with the Audio Animatronics, guests, and film.

(I talked to a Canadian family later on. I asked them if they saw Tough to be a Bug, which I think is a better 3D movie than Muppets. They said they did, but did not like it. I guess even the best of the bunch is not going over with people.)
    Even though It's Tough to Be A Bug! is a newer film, not everyone loves it. Setting aside the fact that some guests have fears of bugs it is more intimidating for younger viewers with more "extreme" effects. The show itself is short in length and seats fewer guests. Muppet*Vision tends to be more laid back and has a larger seating capacity.

I just think it is time for Disney to throw in the towel and acknowledge that 3D movies are not popular and grow old on people much faster than ride do.
    Although this attraction is quite old I don't see the 3D film dying anytime soon. Take into consideration the guests that only see the film once and think of in that light.

I think is where you need to look at Muppet*Vision 3D and its future at Disney's California Adventure Park versus the Disney-MGM Studios park. At DCA he entire structure and its elements (preshow props, AAs, film quality, etc.) are newer and will last longer that the original in Florida. When you look at what type of guests each resort tends to attract you will see that California has 80% repeat guests while Florida will have lower numbers with guests that tend to visit every 3-5 years. Taking that into consideration along with the guests who still get very excited and have not seen the film (adults and children of all ages) there is something about it that attracts them or else they wouldn't be there. No one is forcing them to go through that turnstile, pick up those purple 3D glasses, stand through the preshow, funnel into Muppets Theater for 15 minutes, and kindly returning the glasses in the purple pins as they exit-- but themselves. (Even though the Cast Members might help with the 3D glasses and funneling parts.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is even though you are a big Disney fan try to remember that not everyone is like you. Many guests will only experience things a couple of times.
    • Is Muppet*Vision enjoyable for the average guest?
      • Yes.
    • Is it the best Disney can do for technology with 3D films in 2006?
      • No.
    Try to think of the first time you, your child, family member, friend, or you watched a guest nearby experience it for the first time--what did they think?
    • How did they react?
      • Did they laugh at Staler and Waldorf?
      • Did they jump and giggle at Fozzie's attempted jokes?
      • Or how about Doctor Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker?
      • Did they help Sweetums look for Bean Bunny?
      • Did they move to watch those pesky penguins pick a fight with the Swedish Chef?
      • Did their eyes light up after the explosion happened as they looked around to see the changes to Muppets Theater and Sweetums came to ask if they were okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    Same thing that happens to Winnie the Pooh and Splash Mountain. Heck, the Pooh characters have a designated area for Meet-n-greets. Muppets... well... sometimes Miss Piggy comes out to play...
    Actually, the Muppets characters as they currently are with their costumes* aren't allowed for meet-and-greets or to give "hand signatures." In fact, they were the first characters to do "stamps" for autographs because of copyright issues with Mrs. Henson. She argued that they were not official Henson autographs and so they couldn't be done. But once the stamp came out Disney realized they could have other characters out that they couldn't before that didn't sign autograph, but instead could stamp.
    *costumes according to the ones currently at the Disney-MGM Studios. I have not seen them at DCA so I can't tell you for sure one way or another on them.

Do you agree?
    So no, I don't agree. Yes, I do have a bit of a bias on the subject matter but I would of said a lot of it before that bias came into effect all the same. I would love to see more happen with the Muppets characters like was originally planned until Jim Henson passed away and Mrs. Henson wouldn't allow any further use of the characters. But now that Disney owns them that is something that is quite possibly in their future. As for the children of today not knowing who the characters are, that is, unfortunately true. Part of that is the lack of quality projects, films, etc. to bring the Muppets into the lives of children or even adults for that matter. But with projects such as The Muppets Wizard of Oz, America's Next Top Muppet, simple television commercials and appearances it at least gets their names and "faces" out there, so to speak. The exposure of the Muppets won't be a quick one to develop but once it does let's hope we still remember that it's not easy being green.

• Why do you keep talking?

Amazing post!!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

A new Muppet film would satisfy me.

Muppet*Vision 3-D was a major disappointment the first time I saw it. It's just a bad, disjointed exercise in cheap 3-D tricks in a place where two other films also employ pointless 3-D tricks.

The great thing about "Captain EO" was that the stereoscopic presentation was incidental to the story and show.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector

Amazing post!!
    Aw, thanks Hector! I you.

Glad to know someone wrote it after all that typing and re-quoting.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    A new Muppet film would satisfy me.

Muppet*Vision 3-D was a major disappointment the first time I saw it. It's just a bad, disjointed exercise in cheap 3-D tricks in a place where two other films also employ pointless 3-D tricks.

The great thing about "Captain EO" was that the stereoscopic presentation was incidental to the story and show.
    Captain EO was the one and only thing at Disney I've ever really been scared of to the point where I wanted out and didn't want to go back. Forgive this youngster for being a scared young child of Michael Jackson. Moving aside and back to Muppet Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit
    And at no time will we be stooping to any cheap 3-D tricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear
    Cheap 3-D tricks? Did you say cheap 3-D tricks?
    Yes, they might be "cheap" but they are done so for light humor. In my experiences guests don't even pick up on all of the jokes in the film so quite often the "cheap 3-D tricks," as you might say help to even out the playing field. Then add in younger guests who enjoy simple things like that. And of course guests who don't know much English, if they aren't using translators simple "cheap tricks" are what they tend to laugh and smile about most.

I love the Muppets.

There's a good way to do the Muppets in 3-D and a bad way, and, unfortunately, Muppet*Vision 3-D just falls flat. The attraction could be so much better if it was placed in the right hands.

• I was deleted.

I love the Muppets.

There's a good way to do the Muppets in 3-D and a bad way, and, unfortunately, Muppet*Vision 3-D just falls flat. The attraction could be so much better if it was placed in the right hands.
    The right hands? You mean that Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets characters, who also voiced three of the characters in the show doesn't know his OWN Muppets?

• Oh DDDD-DEAR, Poor Piglet

yeahhhh.. what BPF said :P

But yes, its very sad that the muppets are not as main stream as they used to be.
    After seeing the show many many many times last fall (for enjoyment and other reasons.....) I still love the show and laugh all the time. No matter how many times you see it, you always find something new about it (and it helps when there is an awesome person sitting with you to point them all out :P.... now I can be the cool person when I go with other people)

but yeah... thats it for my random post since it is 5 AM here and i need to sleep :P

MA NA MA NA!
    Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    i agree that the muppets need to go...at least from disney theme parks. muppets will never be "disney" to me & they just don't seem to fit, IMO.
    Jim Henson is straight from the school of Walt Disney. Most everything Jim Henson did was both Disneyesque and original, and he, like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, considered Mr. Disney to be his foremost influence as an artist.

The Muppets are able to be the irreverant and absurd side of the Disney empire now.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybop
    yeahhhh.. what BPF said :P

But yes, its very sad that the muppets are not as main stream as they used to be.
    After seeing the show many many many times last fall (for enjoyment and other reasons.....) I still love the show and laugh all the time. No matter how many times you see it, you always find something new about it (and it helps when there is an awesome person sitting with you to point them all out :P.... now I can be the cool person when I go with other people)
    Haha. Yes, I have watched the film a number of times. But I guess I'm quite optimistic. I'm optimistic of what inidividuals can think and imagine-- and to look past "something old" for "something entertaining." Besides the fact that there are so many "hidden" quirks to this film I can STILL find myself giggling at this show too.

Jim Henson is straight from the school of Walt Disney. Most everything Jim Henson did was both Disneyesque and original, and he, like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, considered Mr. Disney to be his foremost influence as an artist.

The Muppets are able to be the irreverant and absurd side of the Disney empire now.
    Which is why he read books on how to be a puppeteer and was a complete hippie and open-minded thinker. He might have an imagination like Walt did, but his projects were quite different. They are a part of Disney, but if you recall is was Jim who wanted his Muppets to have a place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    The right hands? You mean that Jim Henson, the creator of the Muppets characters, who also voiced three of the characters in the show doesn't know his OWN Muppets?
    The flaws in the attraction are fairly obvious, and whether they can be attributed to Mr. Henson and his group or to W.D.I. is beside the point.

The film has its moments, but, on the whole, it just doesn't work. It doesn't hang together even as a collection of gags and production numbers.

Waldo sucks big time, and so does Bean Bunny. Gonzo's "Forever ?" line makes me cringe, and the Sweetums stuff is gimmicky and condescending. Fozzie, who is usually my favorite, is truly not funny here. And, the production number with Ms. Piggy is devoid of anything interesting. From the Muppet Labs gag that runs way too long to the final shot where Waldo transforms himself into Mickey, the entire affair seems pointless, ill-conceived, and seriously disjointed.

This was not Jim Henson's best work, by far.

Of course, there are a few gems hidden in the muck, but Disney needs to work with the Henson people to develop a replacement for the film that is truly creative and that can best showcase all that the Muppets are.

I, of course, have a few ideas, myself.

But the penguins!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast