Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Is it time to put the Muppets away?

I was at DCA this weekend. After seeing the 60 minute wait for Monsters, I went into the Muppets, which is right next door, to see how busy it was.

First, you walked right in. Second, the crowd awaited a little longer than normal and still did not fill half the theater.

It is not a bad show, it is just OLD! It is like eating left over spaghetti. You know it was once good, but right now it is nothing special.

When you have people falling over themselves to get into Monsters Inc, a RIDE, can Disney realize that 3D movies are dead? The Monsters ride is not that special, but it is new and it is a RIDE! Rides in Fantasyland are not new, but still are popular some 50 years later!

(I talked to a Canadian family later on. I asked them if they saw Tough to be a Bug, which I think is a better 3D movie than Muppets. They said they did, but did not like it. I guess even the best of the bunch is not going over with people.)

I just think it is time for Disney to throw in the towel and acknowledge that 3D movies are not popular and grow old on people much faster than ride do.

Do you agree?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

Re: Is it time to put the Muppets away?

Yes.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I don't agre that 3D movies grow old fast. Otherwise 3D woul not draw crowds when an attraction is new, as 3D has been around since the 1950s. 3D attractions must have an extra something to maintain their appeal. A Bug's Life in WDW is an example of how you can do the attraction right. Muppets needs to be updated, but not replaced. The Muppets themselves are timeless charcters, something new could very easily be worked into the existing location.

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi
    The Muppets themselves are timeless charcters, something new could very easily be worked into the existing location.
    I am not sure I would agree with you that the Muppets are "timeless." Today's children don't know most of the characters today. Miss Piggy's selfishness is assumed in the storyline but most children today don't know that part of the story.

I think that any character can lose favor. At one time, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Hoody Doody, and Betty Boop were popular. Someone might have called them "timeless" in their day. Most children today would not know who they are.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Merry 2014!

I agree. Rides just offer a more emotional experience with lots to see and hear and stories that, hopefully , are timeless. I think people forget a lot that goes on in a ride because of the swift nature of it . So that means repetition won't get tiring. 3-D is percieved as a movie. what is so special about a movie?
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I am not sure I would agree with you that the Muppets are "timeless." Today's children don't know most of the characters today. Miss Piggy's selfishness is assumed in the storyline but most children today don't know that part of the story.

I think that any character can lose favor. At one time, Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Hoody Doody, and Betty Boop were popular. Someone might have called them "timeless" in their day. Most children today would not know who they are.
    A timeless character isn't necessarily a character that children recognize. Timelessness isn't dependent on their (children's) recognition. Timeless characters are the characters that people by and large know of and recognize years after they were once poular and new. Muppets have been in the public eye for years in some shape or form. Most recently we've sent the Muppets in Domino's Pizza commercials with Jessica Simpson. I don't think anyone looks at those commercials and wonders who the frog and the pig are.

Mighty Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Hoody Doody, and Betty Boop would not have been called timeless when they were still current. But if a large group of people remember something after it has long since seen it's day and can immediately recognize them by sight, then that would still qualify them as timeless. Children don't know a lot of things. They can't. That's why their children. LOL Timelessness cannot be defined by someone who hasn't existed but a handful of years.

Aside from that, children like what's interesting. They don't care if it's something they recognize as long as it's fun.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i agree that the muppets need to go...at least from disney theme parks. muppets will never be "disney" to me & they just don't seem to fit, IMO.
    <o>

But, it's a very recognizable brand, and I don't think they should do-away with such a well-known entity.

If anything "bug's life" should get the sack.

Muppets are far more legendary.

They may not have been a Disney invention, but neither were Snoopy, and the Peanuts gang---over at Knotts. Yet it's still a good marketing strategy to tie yourself with popular brands.

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!

whenever i go.. its a must to see both... hehe

i love em
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i don't think they really use the muppets as a marketing tool, though. it's not like muppets 3-D is the reason why people make the trip to DLR. it's probably not even the 10th reason most people make the trip to DLR.

of course, there's always some merchandise/marketing tie-in: the token kermit & miss piggy pin here & there and kermit's made it on one DCA shirt recently. but i don't think kids say to their parents, "mommy, i want to go to DCA so i can see the swedish chef!!"
    <o>

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    i don't think they really use the muppets as a marketing tool, though. it's not like muppets 3-D is the reason why people make the trip to DLR.
    I just think it is ironic that Disney has gotten people to the entrance of Monsters through the promotions you are talking about. Guests are told they have to wait an HOUR for Monsters. Guests turn away because the wait is too long and STILL won't go into MUPPETS! There is a big sign featuring Kermit and all his friends. No wait. Disserted... People just walk right past it and go somewhere else. I think this says something about the popularity of the Muppets or 3D movies or both.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    i don't think they really use the muppets as a marketing tool, though. it's not like muppets 3-D is the reason why people make the trip to DLR. it's probably not even the 10th reason most people make the trip to DLR.

of course, there's always some merchandise/marketing tie-in: the token kermit & miss piggy pin here & there and kermit's made it on one DCA shirt recently. but i don't think kids say to their parents, "mommy, i want to go to DCA so i can see the swedish chef!!"
    Well, I don't know if Snoopy is the reason people make the trip to Knotts either.....but if they discontinued it....the negative press alone wouldn't be worth it.

I don't think anything should be discontinued, ever! DCA doesn't need any more attractions shut down, only to have more vacant/dead space.

Leave it be. The Muppets will have another movie coming out at some point.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'd prefer a Muppets ride. I can't tolerate the Muppet*Vision 3D film simply because of Waldo (I think that's its name) the obnoxious 3D character. Most annoying thing in the existence of Disney themepark attractions.

A Muppets darkride would be nice. Maybe a scaled-down, but still completely awesome version of the Great Muppet Movie Ride snaking through that building, and connecting over into Millionaire's old building? One could dream, no?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

I say just update the show with new show elements like they did at Shrek-4D at Universal.

• Minion

Blog Entries

ya know, it makes me mad how kids don't know these great characters, i mean i grew up in the 90's when they were EVERYWHERE and i love my muppets, i saw the title and was about the freak, lol

i think maybe if disney just started to air some muppet shows then maybe they would rise back to popularity....maybe muppet babies or the muppet show, it's been long enough people won't mind the reruns

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast