Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Plastic Monkey

Re: How come there's only one matterhorn?

i must be thinking of somewhere else, sorry
    definatly wasnt epcot though, it was a showbuilding already built
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Curiouser and Curiouser

1 word UNIQUE

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    ^There isn't a Pinocchio ride in Fantasyland. You may be confused with plans for the Matterhorn to be the centrepiece of a future Switzerland pavilion at Epcot?
    No, there were supposedly two planned out parts of the Magic Kingdom to have the Matterhorn. It's back by IASW, behind Pinnochio's Restaurant that the rebar is supposed to be sticking from the wall. The enterance was supposed to be where the Prince and Princess restrooms are (makes me wonder even more why Snow White & Peter Pan were never switched). The other rumored place was supposed to have been in the general area of Toontown, straddling the train tracks so the trains would pass through a Blizzard.
    Why were they never built? Probably a nice sum of many factors.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    I really wouldn't call Expedition Everest the Matterhorn of WDW. They are just too different.
    Yeah besides the Matterhorn is a full mountain and E:E is more like a movie prop, it has no backside. SO E:E is brokeback mountain.
    Jason

• Plastic Monkey

tloolgb,
    thanks
    im not insaine
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Minion

ORDDU: As far as my sisters and I are concerned, Expedition Everest is close enough to be considered the Matterhorn of the East Coast. While it's true there are differences between the two, they are still BOTH rollercoasters inside mountains with Yeti's inside. That's close enough for us to be considered the same.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wise witches with good points.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    No, there were supposedly two planned out parts of the Magic Kingdom to have the Matterhorn. It's back by IASW, behind Pinnochio's Restaurant that the rebar is supposed to be sticking from the wall. The enterance was supposed to be where the Prince and Princess restrooms are (makes me wonder even more why Snow White & Peter Pan were never switched). The other rumored place was supposed to have been in the general area of Toontown, straddling the train tracks so the trains would pass through a Blizzard.
    Why were they never built? Probably a nice sum of many factors.
    I had never heard of the Toontown location, but I have heard of the original IASW location. Because of the Matterhorn being in future plans, that's why that side of Fantasyland has more of a Swiss feeling (e.g. the Swiss chalet-style Skyway station). I know that there is NO rebar sticking out of the IASW building (at least there isn't anymore), but you CAN see a footer.

• Senior Minion

I always figured that if they'd built it at WDW, part of MK would have sunk into the ground... :-)

• Sock Puppet

All good points. However, I'm willing to bet that budget was a primary reason there is only one Matterhorn Bobsleds.

As I recall, PoTC was NOT initially planned for MK at WDW. When people demanded it, perhaps the MK PoTC ate up enough budget to prevent building a Matterhorn East. After that, Space Mountain was likely the big, budget eating project.

If budget was never a factor, it would seem to be a bit of a mystery. As for the "indoor-outdoor" issue, wouldn't it apply to Big Thunder Mountain? I think an attraction very similar to Big Thunder is at Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, or both.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buck
    Budget was never a factor, it would seem to be a bit of a mystery. As for the "indoor-outdoor" issue, wouldn't it apply to Big Thunder Mountain? I think an attraction very similar to Big Thunder is at Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, or both.
    This was all part of the whole misjudging that happening with Magic Kingdom. WDI thought that people would be disinterested in Pirates, wrong. WDI thought that the almost daily showers during the summer would prevent people from wanting to be on an outdoor coaster, wrong. Space Mountain (MK) is clearly Magic Kingdom's Matterhorn.

After that I think Master Gracey nailed it. The mountain would have to be huge. Also, Big Thunder eventually proved to be a classic hit. Paris was led by Baxter, think how hard it would be to remove BTMR from that island, and had the amazing Discovery Mountain. By the time Hong Kong had come around it was just accepted that Matterhorn was Disneyland's.
    Last edited by lazyboy97O; 04-09-2006 at 03:05 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte
    Anything higher than 200 feet there needs a red light on it, and the castle comes in just under 200 feet.
    Actually it needs a blinking light, and they could have gotten away with that just fine. Not only would it not be easily visible from the ground but they could just say it was a camp at the top of the mountain.

Look at Spaceship Earth's wand and you'll see what I mean, the flashing light up top.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    And plus Disneyland is special...haha
    That's exactly what I was going to say!!!
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Mousketeer

The real reason is the same reason that they have to close the matterhorn every year for refurbishment, and the same reason that they closed the rocket rods. The vibration of the cars passing throught the matterhorn shakes the structure so badly that it constantly needs repair. Budget does come into consideration as it would have cost a lot of extra money to engineer the ride in such a way as to not have the constant upkeep

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tedi Bara
    1 word UNIQUE
    Ditto.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast