Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    At first I was like, "Hey, they got the Carousel of Progress, AND Country Bear Jamboree!"
    Hahaha. First thing I did in MK is ride the Peoplemover followed by Carousel followed by Peplemover again. Great fun, isn't it?

"Dang, they don't have as much shade here as they do in Disneyland"
    Darn tootin', and even during some of the coldest days of the year in Feburary I noticed that. Epcot and MGM have it even worse.

, and "Where's all the benches?"
    So, after a while, I decided to write, for the first time in my life, a journal of my visit to Walt Disney World. Which turned out to be a very good thing, since I would have "no way" remembered all of the great things and fabulous restaurants we went to.

*Less outdoor dining areas in WDW MK.
    Rain, uncomfortable heat have a lot to do with that. There is a pretty big outdoor dining area but it's closed a lot of the time (Tomorrowland Terrace.) With all the seagulls flying around the MK (but not the others) it's probably for the better.

*The Hub at WDW is HUGE!
    You forgot about something else at the hub that is huge as well (although I guess they're about the same size if we use our imagination )

*There is no Disneyana, Disney Gallery or equivilent at WDW's MK.
    Nope, most of that's at the other parks, though. The Walt (and lesser extend animation) exhibits at MGM in particular. You'd think being so close to Glendale DL could get some more neat models like those. Until the 50th exhibit in the opera house, I haven't seen incredible models on display in DL since Splash was being built.

*Very few guests wear Disney attire in WDW (so I stuck out like a sore thumb...PROUDLY!)
    There's also few Disney fanatics, which means VERY few people who act like they own the place. Of course the opposite side of that is visitors that don't know and don't care, but at least they don't recite the HM spiel while IN the HM.

a cellphone conversation overheard in the Hub at WDW's MK, "I'm sitting at the place where the man is holding Mickeys hand"
    Another common one, and one I've heard before, is people who call MK "Disney World the park, you know, the big one, the one they call Disney World instead of Epcot or the rest."

The trip was worth it just to see some of those great old attractions.
    Maybe it was because of the old show, but I found watching the Bears to be rather sobering. Maybe the stage/theater didn't feel as big as the DL one or something, but it didn't seem right.

So, MK aside, how was everything else? It's always fun to read another DLers WDW opinions, since the places are so different. We'll never get to see so many rides and hotels here, unfortunately.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Glad you had a fun time, Epcot was definately my favorite park when I went last summer. I loved everything about Spaceship Earth. My friends hated it, but I was in love. haha

What'd you think of MK's Haunted Mansion. Disneyland's might squeek here and there and have some issues, but when I was there it was nothing but squeeking and I could hear Master Gracey (the Ghost Host, not me) delivering his lines from other people's Doom Buggies. Horrible!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Here are a few more observations:

*The WDW MK's train ride around the Park is not nearly as entertaining as Disneylands. No Grand Canyon Diarama, no Primevil World, no stop in Tomorrrowland. Plus, the WDW train doesn't really give you an opportunity to "see" into the lands as you pass by. Again, it's probably because they made the MK's train route much larger, due to the fact that Disneylands train tracks were moved out at least twice (once for the expansion of Frontierland, and once for the Small World expansion) before WDW was built in 1971.
    * Disneyland has the Matterhorn
    * Disneyland has Indiana Jones (and the Animal Kingdoms "Dinosaur" doesn't hold a candle to Indy!)
    * WDW's MK has Mickey's Philhar-magic which was great!
    *WDW's Tower of Terror (in the Disney-MGM Studios) is mo' betta than DCA's TOT... by a long shot!
    *Biometrics is definitely the way to go with park admission.

I'm sure that I'll think of more.

One thing I can tell all of you, is this: I won't complain about what WDW gets anymore! Disneyland has more attractions stuffed into a smaller space and has a much more "cozy" feeling.

I also feel that, in my most humble opinion, Disneyland is a significantly prettier park then WDW's MK. I'm sure it has to do with all of the upkeep that has been done at Disneyland due to the 50th, but while Disneyland looks like a royal princess, WDW's MK just looks like one of the homely step-sisters.
    I feel bad for the WDW die-hard fans . Their Park needs some maintenance in a really bad way. It makes me appreciate Disneyland even more, having seen the way that the Magic Kingdom's maintenance has been deferred.
    Kinda reminds me of the Pressler days
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Here are a few more observations:

*The WDW MK's train ride around the Park is not nearly as entertaining as Disneylands. No Grand Canyon Diarama, no Primevil World, no stop in Tomorrrowland. Plus, the WDW train doesn't really give you an opportunity to "see" into the lands as you pass by. Again, it's probably because they made the MK's train route much larger, due to the fact that Disneylands train tracks were moved out at least twice (once for the expansion of Frontierland, and once for the Small World expansion) before WDW was built in 1971.
    * Disneyland has the Matterhorn
    * Disneyland has Indiana Jones (and the Animal Kingdoms "Dinosaur" doesn't hold a candle to Indy!)
    * WDW's MK has Mickey's Philhar-magic which was great!
    *WDW's Tower of Terror (in the Disney-MGM Studios) is mo' betta than DCA's TOT... by a long shot!
    *Biometrics is definitely the way to go with park admission.

I'm sure that I'll think of more.

One thing I can tell all of you, is this: I won't complain about what WDW gets anymore! Disneyland has more attractions stuffed into a smaller space and has a much more "cozy" feeling.

I also feel that, in my most humble opinion, Disneyland is a significantly prettier park then WDW's MK. I'm sure it has to do with all of the upkeep that has been done at Disneyland due to the 50th, but while Disneyland looks like a royal princess, WDW's MK just looks like one of the homely step-sisters.
    I feel bad for the WDW die-hard fans . Their Park needs some maintenance in a really bad way. It makes me appreciate Disneyland even more, having seen the way that the Magic Kingdom's maintenance has been deferred.
    Kinda reminds me of the Pressler days
    I totally agree that DINOSAUR is nothing when compared to Indy.

I prefer different aspects of both Tower of Terrors, but I found nothing too terribly exciting or intriguing regarding the 5th Demension room, and I think I prefer DCA's Mirror scene over the 5th Demension room.

Was the floral Mickey in front of the train station not floral at all and just grasses and other green foliage? I noticed when I visited last summer and was thoroughly disappointed! In fact, I don't really recall seeing many flowers or many colors besides green in the planters when I was at WDW. I assumed it was because of the climate... but still kind of a disappointment..

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey

I prefer different aspects of both Tower of Terrors, but I found nothing too terribly exciting or intriguing regarding the 5th Demension room, and I think I prefer DCA's Mirror scene over the 5th Demension room.

Was the floral Mickey in front of the train station not floral at all and just grasses and other green foliage? I noticed when I visited last summer and was thoroughly disappointed! In fact, I don't really recall seeing many flowers or many colors besides green in the planters when I was at WDW. I assumed it was because of the climate... but still kind of a disappointment..
    We went on TOT several times, and I had heard that they messed around alot with the drop sequences... but on our last trip, after the "final" drop, everybody was beginning to relax a little when the doors opened, indicating that the ride was over. Suddenly, the doors quickily shut again, and we were being whisked away to yet another drop. Freaked me out!
    The best part was that I got it on video! I'm going to try and upload it to youtube.com. If I can, I'll post a link here.

Regarding the planter: Heres a pic. I think you'll be happy.
    Last edited by Circarama; 04-09-2006 at 08:54 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Vehicle rotating backward

The WDW MK's train ride around the Park is not nearly as entertaining as Disneylands.
    Darn straight. There's entire points where you're just riding along past nicely landscaped grass and seeing the backside of buildings. That's not really a problem, but it feels like you're riding a train through the middle of a golf course.

no stop in Tomorrrowland.
    Toontown doubles as Tomorrowland's station, there's a path around the Autopia. I wish I had known that during my first three days though. Oh, my poor feet.

True. But, while I do want to do DL at least one more time once Rocket Mountain opens (I don't think I can hold out and wait for subs) if crowds don't go down after the 50th to previous levels, I'm sure management would love it but I'll either do TDL (really wanted to but I wouldn't really get my money's worth with as much as I'd have to pay) or try and adopt WDW as home base.

Maybe it's that I'm getting older, but I just don't like the hustle & bustle of Disneyland quite so much. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt though, because it only used to become "crowded" at a much higher attendance than it does now. This is because of Paul taking out so many rides and Fastpass taking people out of queues and into walkways. We'll see if things change over the next year, I guess.

It makes me appreciate Disneyland even more, having seen the way that the Magic Kingdom's maintenance has been deferred.
    On a one to ten scale, I'd give Pressler-era DL a 4 and a 1/2, MK current a 7, and DL current a 9.

My visit to Pressler era Disneyland included all sorts of wonderful clunkers like completely broken animatronics and doors in dark rides that didn't open. MK had animatronics with a broken function here and there that needs to be fixed, and I was somewhat frustrated to see a burnt-out lightbulb out the entire week I was there, which is not very magical, but it didn't feel as BARREN as Presslerland did.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

We went on TOT several times, and I had heard that they messed around alot with the drop sequences... but on our last trip, after the "final" drop, everybody was beginning to relax a little when the doors opened, indicating that the ride was over. Suddenly, the doors quickily shut again, and we were being whisked away to yet another drop. Freaked me out!
    The best part was that I got it on video! I'm going to try and upload it to youtube.com. If I can, I'll post a link here.

Regarding the planter: Heres a pic. I think you'll be happy.
    Nice! I hope when we get our new Tower drop sequences (if we ever do! ) it will be as fun as your rides were. We went on TOT probably about 3 or 4 times during our stay. Never got as frightening experience as your did, regarding drop profiles.

Glad Mickey is in flowers Looks nice, but California's floral mickey is still the best

| | |

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Amen. Indy is the BEST EMV ride of all time. Not even Spiderman or the Indy at TDS can compare to the original!

• Mousketeer

I still remember the first time I visited MK at WDW. I had such high expectations, and I was almost completely dissapointed in the execution of the park. I had expected everything to be bigger and better, but it was mostly just bigger, and in very few places better. It took me several times visiting before I began to appreciate MK a little more, but I think of WDW like the poorly concieved directors cut of a great movie. They show you more, but don't really add anything to the story.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I feel bad for the WDW die-hard fans . Their Park needs some maintenance in a really bad way.
    Thank you.

I also appreciated the way you wrote your report, it was very objective in a non bashing sort of way. I appreciated that greatly.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time over all and I'm glad you got to see some of the old favorites that you don't have at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb
    I still remember the first time I visited MK at WDW. I had such high expectations, and I was almost completely dissapointed in the execution of the park. I had expected everything to be bigger and better, but it was mostly just bigger, and in very few places better.
    My feelings exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Thank you.

I also appreciated the way you wrote your report, it was very objective in a non bashing sort of way. I appreciated that greatly.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time over all and I'm glad you got to see some of the old favorites that you don't have at home.
    I had a really good time! Even though I was knda pickin' things apart, my general feeling after leaving WDW was one of great satisfaction. As my governator say's, "I'll be back".
    But, I do hope that Disney has learned this valuable lesson from Disneylands 50th..." If you maintain it, they will come".
    Yes, alot of people visited Disneyland because it was the 50th, but I think they also visited because the Park had been restored to her former beauty.
    Walt Disney always preached about the importance of keeping the Park clean, making sure the burnt-out lightbulbs were replaced, repair the chipped and fading paint, repainting the Frontierland shooting gallery every single night after closing. In short, give the guest more than they expect. That philosophy paid off handsomly for Walt and Roy Disney (enough to buy up 27,000 acres of land in central Florida), and I believe that it is once againg paying off for the Walt Disney Company. Hopefully, once Disneylands 50th dies down, WDW can get some of the maintenance "magic" that worked so well in Anaheim.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12