Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Well, My wife and I just finished an 8-day trip to WDW, and I must say that we had a really good time. We literally ate our way thru Epcot and some of the nicest dining establishments in WDW. We saw Cirque Du Soleil's La Nouba, which was amazing. We also managed to sneak our 17 year-old daughter and 4 of her friends (visiting Orlando for a choral festival) out of Epcot and took them to the Magic Kingdom for 1/2 a day.

    During our 3 visits to the Magic Kingdom, I noticed some things that were quite different in the Magic Kingdom then in Disneyland. At first I was like, "Hey, they got the Carousel of Progress, AND Country Bear Jamboree!" Then I noticed things that were different in a not so pleasing way, like, "Dang, they don't have as much shade here as they do in Disneyland", and "Where's all the benches?"
    So, after a while, I decided to write, for the first time in my life, a journal of my visit to Walt Disney World. Which turned out to be a very good thing, since I would have "no way" remembered all of the great things and fabulous restaurants we went to.

    But I digress...

    Below are some of my observations of Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom (hence forth known as WDW's MK):

    *Wider walkways at WDW
    *Space Mountain is slower and rougher in WDW (I know, Disneylands is rebuilt)
    *WDW's Tiki Room "Under New Management" sucks (my wifes exact words)
    *No Columbia Sailing Ship in WDW's MK.
    *No moat around the WDW's Cinderellas Castle.
    *Less outdoor dining areas in WDW MK.
    *Less restaurant seating in WDW MK.
    *WDW has Carousel Of Progress.
    *WDW has the PeopleMover (known at the TTA).
    *WDW has Swiss Family Treehouse.
    *WDW has Country Bear Jamboree.
    *The Monorail cars at WDW seemed larger than Disneylands (not sure if they really were).
    *The Hub at WDW is HUGE!
    *There are many more tenured (and chronologically older) CM's at WDW.
    *There is no Disneyana, Disney Gallery or equivilent at WDW's MK.
    *The attraction posters in the tunnels under the railroad tracks at WDW's MK are much smaller then the ones at Disneyland.
    *WDW's Splash Mountain has side-by-side seating.
    *The "Hungry Bear" restaurant's equivilent "Pecos Bills" has an amazing condiment area that includes free sauteed mushrooms and grilled onions
    *WDW's Main Street USA feels much more impersonal than Disneylands Main Street.
    * The firehouse in WDW is a merchandise store, and no attempt was made to recreate a "Walts Apt" facade on the second floor. In fact, there is no 2nd floor.
    * There is a nice statue of Roy Disney siiting on a bench in townsquare which I thought was VERY cool, since I identify with Roy Disney.
    *Very few guests wear Disney attire in WDW (so I stuck out like a sore thumb...PROUDLY!)

    And lastly, the funniest thing heard over during our 7 days visiting various Disney theme parks... a cellphone conversation overheard in the Hub at WDW's MK, "I'm sitting at the place where the man is holding Mickeys hand"

    Priceless.

    By the end of our trip, I had a competely different perspective on the Disney theme parks. I came to realize that they are all different and they need to be appreciated for their differences. I can't tell you all how much it meant for me to be able to go on Carousel Of Progress, and Country Bear Jamboree, and the PeopleMover again, or how cool it was to look up at the Swiss Family Treehouse. The trip was worth it just to see some of those great old attractions.

    Well, that's it. If anybody wants to comment, see some pics, add their observations, or rip on me, go for it.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    181

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Talk about how wonderful Epcot is - that never gets old for me

  3. #3

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    * Oh yeah, WDW's MK has the Hall of Presidents which was very cool.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  4. #4

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,909
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    I can't help doing the same thing the few times I've been to WDW. It's like an instinct to compare it all to Disneyland.

    The Monorail cars at WDW seemed larger than Disneylands (not sure if they really were).
    They are much larger, just look at the beam size. The Mark IVs were larger than Disneyland's Mark IIIs/Vs and the current Mark VIs are larger than the older Mark IVs.

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    181

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Yeah, not only has WDW had bigger monorails than DL, but when they got their second fleet they increased in size moreso - the monorail stations were built so that the floor would be level with the doors, but now you have to step up into them.

    Did you enjoy all 12 flavors of monorail?

  6. #6

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Quote Originally Posted by KNRG
    Talk about how wonderful Epcot is - that never gets old for me
    Okay, but then we gotta get back on track!

    Epcot is wonderful! We ate dinner at Bistro de Paris in the French pavilion, Marakesh in the Moroccan pavilion, and the Rose and Crown in the UK Pavilion(lot's of Becks beer before watching IllumiNations from the patio), lunch at the San Angel Inn in the Mexican pavilion, the Bier Garten in the German pavilion and lunch again at Marakesh in the Moroccan pavilion (gotta love the belly dancer) The CM's in World Showcase are all from the countries they represent which really ads authenticity to the various pavilions. Very nice people everywhere!
    Future World was really cool, except Mission Space... too rough for me! I didn't know there were so many ways to feel nauseous.
    "The Land" was very cool... loved the "Living With The Land" boat ride.
    Spaceship Earth was very enjoyable... a great place too relax in a cool dark attraction for 15 minutes while you get edu-tained.
    Test Track was alot of fun. "The Living Seas" was cool, but since they added "Turtle Talk with Crush" the place was teaming with screaming kids. Obviously nobody told the kids that aquariums are supposed to soothe you...
    World Showcase was really very cool. Yes, it's an idealized Disneyfied version of the world, but I still liked it... alot!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  7. #7

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Quote Originally Posted by KNRG
    Yeah, not only has WDW had bigger monorails than DL, but when they got their second fleet they increased in size moreso - the monorail stations were built so that the floor would be level with the doors, but now you have to step up into them.

    Did you enjoy all 12 flavors of monorail?
    No, but I was blown away by how many there were. They got that Disney Transportation down pat!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  8. #8

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    You made it to WDW!!! I hope you don't mind how I decided to reply. I was easier to write.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *Wider walkways at WDW
    Trust me. You won't miss those benches when it's SUPER crowded. And although they say things are bigger at WDW, this is really what they mean a lot of times. It takes longer to get from point A to point B... that is without taking into crowds of course! So therefore it's bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *Space Mountain is slower and rougher in WDW (I know, Disneylands is rebuilt)
    Understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *WDW's Tiki Room "Under New Management" sucks (my wifes exact words)
    Exactly! Which is why I protest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *No Columbia Sailing Ship in WDW's MK.
    *No moat around the WDW's Cinderellas Castle.
    Instead they have one big puddle! Did you see that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *Less outdoor dining areas in WDW MK.
    *Less restaurant seating in WDW MK.
    And then they have massive places like Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *WDW has Carousel Of Progress.
    *WDW has the PeopleMover (known at the TTA).
    *WDW has Swiss Family Treehouse.
    *WDW has Country Bear Jamboree.
    *The Monorail cars at WDW seemed larger than Disneylands (not sure if they really were).
    for "classic attractions" that are still alive and the monorail cars do seem huge. Plus there's more of them and mroe track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *The Hub at WDW is HUGE!
    Just think of how big of a MC meet could be held there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *There are many more tenured (and chronologically older) CM's at WDW.
    I must agree with this from what I experienced... even though you are also there to see a lot of snow birds still working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *There is no Disneyana, Disney Gallery or equivilent at WDW's MK.
    Well, collectibles are sold in part of Main Street where they also sell pins. But they do have collectibles shops at Disney-MGM Studios, Epcot, and DTD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *The attraction posters in the tunnels under the railroad tracks at WDW's MK are much smaller then the ones at Disneyland.
    *WDW's Splash Mountain has side-by-side seating.
    *The "Hungry Bear" restaurant's equivilent "Pecos Bills" has an amazing condiment area that includes free sauteed mushrooms and grilled onions
    Which makes for a great meal on it's own for those on a college program er, budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *WDW's Main Street USA feels much more impersonal than Disneylands Main Street.
    I agree even though I think Main Street is my favorite part of WDW's MK. (The Dapper Dans + other Main Street characters live there! That's probably why.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    * The firehouse in WDW is a merchandise store, and no attempt was made to recreate a "Walts Apt" facade on the second floor. In fact, there is no 2nd floor.
    Living proof that not EVERYTHING is bigger at Walt Disney World.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    * There is a nice statue of Roy Disney siiting on a bench in townsquare which I thought was VERY cool, since I identify with Roy Disney.
    Which you can also find among The Disney Legends plaques the Burbank Studios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    *Very few guests wear Disney attire in WDW (so I stuck out like a sore thumb...PROUDLY!)
    Eh.. that comes and goes in phases to be quite honest. Some days or weeks its everywhere and sometimes you can't find it at all! Although more guests tend to wear ears at DL than WDW. (Until they started making those "fun" ears that more kids wanted!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    And lastly, the funniest thing heard over during our 7 days visiting various Disney theme parks... a cellphone conversation overheard in the Hub at WDW's MK, "I'm sitting at the place where the man is holding Mickeys hand"

    Priceless.

    By the end of our trip, I had a competely different perspective on the Disney theme parks. I came to realize that they are all different and they need to be appreciated for their differences. I can't tell you all how much it meant for me to be able to go on Carousel Of Progress, and Country Bear Jamboree, and the PeopleMover again, or how cool it was to look up at the Swiss Family Treehouse. The trip was worth it just to see some of those great old attractions.

    Well, that's it. If anybody wants to comment, see some pics, add their observations, or rip on me, go for it.
    Yay! Thanks so much for sharing. Disneyland does own my but I have been able to find a place in there for WDW too.

  9. #9

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    No, but I was blown away by how many there were. They got that Disney Transportation down pat!
    I'm glad you think so. Apparently you never excited the Magic Kingdom from the back of the park about a half hour after closing (or even from the hub area right after Wishes closing time) and tried to get out quickly. Many times it took me HOURS to get out, on to a boat or monorail, (sometimes tram) and then home. You never miss the opportunity to walk to your car from the park's entrance until it's not there. Which is why I DLR's, Disney-MGM Studios, and Ep-ity-cot's parking lots!

  10. #10

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,885
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Talk about MGM... and there uhm.. lovely fantasmic show... *cough* sarcasm *cough*
    Last edited by Disney Analyst; 04-08-2006 at 10:51 PM.






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  11. #11

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Talks about MGM... and there uhm.. lovely fantasmic show... *cough* sarcasm *cough*
    We saw F! as part of a dinner deal at the Brown Derby in MGM... even with reserved seats we left 10 minutes into it. (see the Tiki Room comments in the #1 post!)
    Last edited by Circarama; 04-08-2006 at 10:45 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  12. #12

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I'm glad you think so. Apparently you never excited the Magic Kingdom from the back of the park about a half hour after closing (or even from the hub area right after Wishes closing time) and tried to get out quickly.
    Actually, you're right Briana. We never stayed in the MK until closing because of the horror stories I read about getting out of the Park so late.

    The closest we came to that was 9:30 ressies at the California Grill so we could watch Wishes from the observation deck at the Contemporay Resort. Very, very cool... everyone should do that at least once in their lifetime!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  13. #13

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,885
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    We saw F! as part of a dinner deal at the Brown Derby in MGM... even with reserved seats we left 10 minutes into it. (see the Tiki Room comments in the #1 post!)

    I didn't think there fantasmic was that bad that even if you pay you may leave.. I've seent the videos, but never thought about the leaving part haha! Wow! It's so terrible huh... Disneyland's Fantasmic is the only for me






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  14. #14

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    Actually, you're right BPF. We never stayed in the MK until closing because of the horror stories I read about getting out of the Park so late.

    The closest we came to that was 9:30 ressies at the California Grill so we could watch Wishes from the observation deck at the Contemporay Resort. Very, very cool... everyone should do that at least once in their lifetime!
    Oo... that's nice. I like watching from the Poly, especially with the holiday fireworks and the perimeter fireworks!!



    And as for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Talks about MGM... and there uhm.. lovely fantasmic show... *cough* sarcasm *cough*
    He didn't really mention the Disney-MGM Studios (or even DAK as E:E just recently opened!) as he was talking about the Magic Kingdom parks.

  15. #15

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,885
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disneyland vs. WDW's Magic Kingdom... some observations.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Oo... that's nice. I like watching from the Poly, especially with the holiday fireworks and the perimeter fireworks!!



    And as for this... He didn't really mention the Disney-MGM Studios (or even DAK as E:E just recently opened!) as he was talking about the Magic Kingdom parks.

    Pfft Anyways, he said ask questions, and I wanted his reaction of there fantasmic.. and I got it.. they even payed to get good seats, and they left 10 mins into it..






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] Disneyland vs Magic Kingdom!
    By Spacoli in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 10:48 AM
  2. [Fun] Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland
    By Spacoli in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 07:09 AM
  3. Are you a Disneyland kid or Magic Kingdom kid?
    By jonnyboyca in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 09:47 AM
  4. Holy cow, WDW's Magic Kingdom is Horrible! (Compared to Disneyland Park)
    By captsmith84 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 08:40 AM
  5. Comparing Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom
    By Gemini Cricket in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 12:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •