View Poll Results: What do you think about sponsors and advertising at the DLR?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • They support / enhance the park experience.

19 40.43%
  • They commercialize / detract from the park experience.

8 17.02%
  • Don't care / neutral / whatever.

20 42.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

And Now, a Word About Our Sponsors

Sponsors and advertising has existed at Disneyland since its beginning. My question: Do they have a right to be there? Do you like / object to them? And does it matter whether they exist or not to your park experience?

---------------------------------------------

Argument in favor of sponsors & advertising:

*They bring familiarity to the park. Just the sight of names like McDonalds and Honda can make you feel right at home in a make-believe world (and be more willing to shell out $3.50 or so for french fries, in McD's case). From The Nickel Tour: "their presence adds a sense of reality to the fantasy and helps make the Park familiar and comfortable, right from the very first visit."

*All good fantasy is based on reality. Take Main Street. Names like Nestle and Coca-Cola help make the town that much more real.

*Sponsors add identity & charm. They sure can! What would the first two decades of Tomorrowland be without good ol' Monsanto? How about FedEx and Space Mountain, and those corny commercials about aliens sending packages from the TVs in the queue? Sponsors can add something to the park experience.

*Remember, Disneyland was an ad, created by an ad. Disneyland was the basis of Walt's weekly show that was basically an hour-long commercial for showcasing the park. ABC originally had part ownership of the park (until Disney bought it back, and ironically much later bought ABC). Also, Sleeping Beauty Castle, in a way, was an advertisement for the film it was based off of, since the film's debut was in 1959!

*Their purpose. Sponsors help fund the park. The theme park business is expensive! Companies foot part of the bill and make the magic possible.

Argument against sponsors & advertising:

*They commercialize the park.
    Advertisements raid our radios, television sets, newspapers, magazines, billboards, Internet, and almost every other tangible real-world object I can think of. For Disneyland to be a true fantasy world, it should be devoid of the sponsors and ads that are a reality of, well, our reality world.

*Disney is the name we care about. The Disney name can stand by itself because it has a built-up reputation for quality, and guests can and will expect that when they walk through the turnstiles.

*The park can survive on its own! Oh come on, as if Disney doesn't have enough money.

*Point-blank, they detract from the park experience. This includes Disney's advertising for themselves. I'm thinking of the billboards newly installed in front of the waiting area for the Mickey&Friends Tram and the ones that are plastered on the Hollywood Backlot Studio buildings advertising the latest Disney films and TV Shows (not to mention the ones hung from the Golden Gate on occasion), and the infamous, horrendous CHICKEN-ZILLA BALLOON XXL! They detract from the park experience because of their poor execution. Furthermore, we didn't pay $56 to be bombarded by companies that have their own money-seeking priorities in mind. For example: for years Kodak has taken up the entire back side of every Disneyland park map! Park guests should not have to put up with sponsors and their tactics for selling their wares.

What do you think? Against, for, or don't care?
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 04-09-2006 at 07:27 PM.

• Merry 2014!

Re: And Now, a Word About Our Sponsors

I really don't care one way or the other. It has always been there and will continue to be there whether we like it or not. As long as the rides/attractions don't become advertisements and the sponsors stay in the background I think it is fine. I mean Dl has Dolewhip not pineapple whip. A theme park is a commercial venture, not a public service or park.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

I don't really mind either way. Just as long they don't start advertising the product in the ride. I don't want to be riding Star Tours and all of a sudden see the Energizer Bunny march across the screen. That I don't want to see.

• Hooterville, USA

I like them.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

I forgot to mention that both the Parade of Dreams and Disney's Electrical Parade are now sponsored by Sylvania.

• A Pirate's life for me!

To me, it's annoying. I know that they are a necessary evil ($$$), but I don't care to see the brand names throughout the Park.

It's Disneyland, not Sylvania-Land.

Just my 2 cents...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I think it's a good thing for the parks. Just so long as the advertisements aren't obnoxious and/or detracting in any way.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

They don't bother me as long as they continue to know their place. Since they've always been there, and for the most part have been pretty benign, I don't think I can truly know what the park would be without them.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• The Fantasyland guy

you know,.. I noticed the Sylvania name when I was at WDW last week.. anyone know who the hell is Sylvania? my g/f (a CM at disneyland) told me that Sylvania had sponsered the POD and DEP in the DLR last week as well... I have never heard of them!

anyone know what they do? Honda makes sence as a sponser, but Sylvania?

• Minion

I didn't know who they were at first either. Sylvania is a light company, that's all I know...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I just voted whatever, but after the fact, I realized...

If there were no sponsorship, there would be no dole whips...which would be, in my case, a tragedy

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    you know,.. I noticed the Sylvania name when I was at WDW last week.. anyone know who the hell is Sylvania? my g/f (a CM at disneyland) told me that Sylvania had sponsered the POD and DEP in the DLR last week as well... I have never heard of them!

anyone know what they do? Honda makes sence as a sponser, but Sylvania?
    Sylvania is a company that produces home and auto lighting and other electronics. Sylvania makes perfect sense for the Electrical Parade and is a good idea for the Parade of Dreams and Spaceship Earth at Epcot, too, even if their company doesnt necessarily match the themeing of those two attractions.

http://www.sylvania.com/

[Edit] You beat me to it, 2DieFr [/Edit]

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• The Fantasyland guy

ohh.. kinda likea a GE?

wierd... I shop at home depot at least once a month.. never heard of them. Guess I better open up my eyes.

Thanks MatserGracey and good point about the DEP.

• Minion

While I didn't intend this to become a Sylvania thread I took the link off of my post. No worries, Andy.

/randomness/happy400thposttome/randomness/

• Pirate Girl

Ahoy all,

It doesn't really matter to me. But when I was little and Monsanto sponsered Adventure Through Inner Space I always just called it Monsanto! I loved that ride :-) And I'll always remember before it was Rancho de Zocale, it was sponsered by Lawrys. We alway said "Let's go to the Lawrys place". (now the spelling of Lawrys looks wrong to me).

So, maybe it does matter.

Aprille :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast