Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trip Report 4/4 - Regis & Kelly coming to DL

Storybook Land Boats and Casey Jr. are down for overhaul. They're painting the walls on Storybook Land, so I expect they'll be there for a little while.

The Opera House looks great with the new gilding.

I overheard some Disney execs talking. They'll be draining the castle moat to put in some platforms, not sure for what. They will also be bringing Regis & Kelly to Disneyland. I believe it will be at the beginning of next month, but as I was eavesdropping, didn't get a firm date. They will be taking out some trees around the central hub and putting in two jumbotrons to either side of the castle as you face it. Sounds like Regis and Kelly will be broadcasting from in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Work continues on the Monsters Inc. facade in DCA. They were cutting some of the old facade so that it resembles a caricature of LA less and Monstropolis more.

Anyway, those are some of the major things I noted this morning.

Regis and Kelly! Talk about scraping from the "D" list for celebrities. I hate to see a tree get cut down for a video screen.

The trees won't be gone permanently, they were specifically discussing that. The trees will be removed for the broadcast, then they will be returned.

• -Going Retro-

Regis & Kelly normally do that kind of stuff in end of April or May. Maybe they will be broadcasting for the big 5-5-5.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was something for the Kickoff weekend, especially since their show is on ABC

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    Regis and Kelly! Talk about scraping from the "D" list for celebrities. I hate to see a tree get cut down for a video screen.

HAHA thats funny Regis and Kelly the D list of celebrities. HAHAHa um Regis and Kelly are not celebreties ina big way they are media access to the public. Have Regis and Kelly broadcast in front of the castle for a week and it will get millions of dollars loosened from that part of the public that just swallows up Regis and Kelly's talk in the morning. I say that is one slick move by the Resort in CALI' that is going to pack Disneyland like a sardine can for the summer.
    But DL has one problem with the crowds... its a turn off for a lot of people. I was there during after Easter spring break and the park was having a difficult time handling the crowds. It is no fun seeing fast pass sell out by two oclock and rides shutting down left and right for problems. Matt Ouimet and his team have a lot of obstacles still in there way from the Harris era. And unfortunately Harris had some good things going during her tenure that just is not up to par during Ouimets reign. Marketing and mercahndise was Harris stong point. Paint and rides is Ouimet strong point however Ouimet has lost a lot of good engineers becuase of Harris and Pressler, which is making a job that is tough already just a lot and I do mean a lot tougher becuse Ouimet has CAlosha breathing down his neck for previous managements mistakes. sorry I Digress

The point is Ouimet made an intelligent marketing decision to (if the rumour is true) have Regis and Kelly do thier show from the Castle. And heck there are 50 years worth of trees there if you dont knock down a tree or two now and then you wont be able to see the beauty of the park. Oh I so wish you could see the Fantasyland skyway building it is remarkable behind all that shrubbery and trees and ODV. it is a jewel of a spot that no one sees anymore unless you do what I did. I .........
    Last edited by Raysir X; 04-04-2005 at 06:29 PM.

Yeah, it is going to be annoying for visitors at the time, but it is millions in free publicity.

• Minion

You are absolutly correct. DLR does have a bit of a problem with crowds. I still dont understand the need for two jumbo-trons, as the hub and main street are 'relativly' small compared to that of other Disney parks. Also, the platforms puzzle me. When the suits were talking about the platforms, in what context where they talking? Of the Regis and Kelly deal or of the 50th celebration?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Maybe sparklers like use in fantasmic in the river will be used in fireworks show for say a fantasmic scene :P lol. you know the spining sparklers in fantasmic! They could use them in their for the new fireworks... Since the fireworks soundtrack consists of disneyland history etc., they could have a fantasmic scene!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    Maybe they'll have people "on location" in the park that they'll show on the jumbo screens?

The R and K announcement doesn't surprise me. I think someone already said it, but that show has a long Disney history and broadcasts from a Disney resort once a year or so. (At least they did... I don't watch much anymore!)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad
    D-list celebritieS? Are you kidding?
    GIve me a break.

Kelly Ripa stars in a Sitcom.
    Regis Has a long career on TV and had a hit show for a few years (millionaire) not to mention the fact that they are on 5 days a week during the day time.
    They are at least B-list. If you want D-list turn on any show on VH1.

THey did the same thing for TOwer Of terror. It will definately create crowd control issues but its not like people are going to leave cause they can't walk around the castle.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Maybe sparklers like use in fantasmic in the river will be used in fireworks show for say a fantasmic scene :P lol. you know the spining sparklers in fantasmic! They could use them in their for the new fireworks... Since the fireworks soundtrack consists of disneyland history etc., they could have a fantasmic scene!
    They will be used in the new show.

• "Roast Duck"

D class starts...B class stars...LOL...not even close...they are A stars in my eyes...Regis and Kelly are awesome....
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrfanatic
    They will be used in the new show.

:o So cool

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Yeah I hope they set the moat on fire lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast