Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: Disappointment in Disneyland Security(Bag Checks)

Bag checks are there only to protect DISNEYLAND, not the guest. Comments are above are right that it just makes people feel safer when they really are not.

Anyone can carry a knife in a pocket to Disneyland. No one frisks guests coming into the park.

The bag check is there to prevent explosives going into the park. (which is highly unlikely anyway!)

I think that the bag check should be done away too. It is a waste of time and is not making anyone more secure.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    My opinion:

They should do away with the silly bag checks, not make them stricter. It's a pain, it won't protect DL against anyone with any real designs on causing problems (because really, it's almost impossible to protect yourself from anyone planning on taking their own life in the process - what can you possibly deter them with?). So all bag check really does is make people "feel" safe, not make them actually safe. And it makes everyone else annoyed. It doesn't *actually* do any good.

It can't really protect DL against what people assume it's intended to protect DL against (terrorism), so why keep it up? Just do away with it.
    Hmmmm....I think, although I might be a bit naive here, that checking backpacks can go a LONG way to protect DL against terrorism. I am AMAZED that we haven't had a suicide bomber or someone with a backpack full of plastic explosives hit this country since 911. And isn't that what they are guarding against? If you take out the ONLY deterrent to this type of thing, I think you're inviting a terrorist act that is waiting to happen. We already know that Disneyland was a target, and may still be for all we know. If you look at the train bombings in Spain and London, it would be only too easy for a person or persons with backpacks to plant them around the park and leave.

You might not stop someone with a small handgun or a knife, but you could certainly keep 10 people with backpacks full of plastic explosives from effectively blowing up large portions of the DLR.

Metal wand detectors might help as well. We use them at schools and at sporting events. Might as well spot check people entering the DLR as well. MORE security at the DLR would not bother me. LESS security certainly would.

• The Fantasyland guy

I'm glad you all replied. It's not that I feel like I need to be secure... I just feel that if they are going to force me to wait in line, there better be a reason. Yes WDW does an incredible job at checking every bag, but DL is a joke. If they are going to force us to do this, then do it right.

Yes, the knife scared me when I saw it in the line for Pan a couple of months ago. All that does is tell me that Disney doesn’t do a good job at what they are trying to make us feel safe. I don’t feel safe because they do a half *** job at checking bags. I would feel safer if they either did what WDW does or don’t do it at all.

Yes.. I think I would feel safer if they just didn't do it at all. (Ignorance is bliss.)

• insufferable know-it-all

No, it doesn't protect us from the real threat AT ALL. That's the point I'm trying to make. If terrorists actually targeted Disneyland and were determined to do harm, there's almost no way to stop them, short of making guests arrive naked, carrying nothing. Does it make it more difficult? Just a little.

All this bag-checking nonsense has a much greater effect on our sense of freedom than it does on terrorism. People are FAR too willing to give up personal liberties in exchange for a false sense of security. In the end, we have what feels like a more totalitarian society, and we're hardly safer than we were before. But hey, at least we "feel" safe, right?

As Benjamin Franklin once put it: anyone willing to sacrifice personal liberties in exchange for security deserves neither and will lose both.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    But hey, at least we "feel" safe, right?
    But thats exactly my point... I don't feel safe. I think they better amp it up, or get rid of it completly.

Like I said, ignorance is bliss.

• Happy Memories

I'm with Morrigoon on this one as far as my opinions about the bag checks. I have to ask though why it is you seem to think it's done better at WDW? I know you made the example of having the cigar cutter caught or whatever, but I'm a former WDW AP and I always thought the checks there equally as ineffective. Yes, it's uniformed security, but they barely even glance into the bag. I could very easily have gotten contraband items in via my bag, or even easier on my person somewhere else. I don't generally like to drag extra crap around the parks with me though so I usually just carried what fit in my pockets and went through the "no-bag" entrance.

• Banned User

Bag checks are essential.
    It deters the terrorists.
    And if they find one, BOOM, all they hit was a part of the gate, and not a large crowded area inside of the park.

sure, get rid of bag checks.
    And I'm sure a lot more people will be dying.

• Disneyland Freak

Security bag checks = Illusion of safety.

Without full on metal detectors and the like they will never be real security checks. They are only there to provide the illusion of safety.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Circle of Ancients

People complain about metal detectors and that "They don't belong in theme parks".

I have to totally disagree. I think DL and WDW NEED Metal Detectors. Six Flags aren't the only parks that have them.

• Banned User

Until they start patting people down, I could very well bring
    my pistol into the park...

Not that I ever would... but if I could get in with my side arm
    or my ankle holster - who knows what else is getting in that
    we don't know about.

Metal detectors or pat downs is the only thing to know for sure.

I just want to know why security personnel aren't all trained the same.
    One worker had me toss out my frappucino crossing the esplanade
    on the night before the anniversary... I only had ONE... my friends
    mom went thru a different line with a whole four pack and nobody
    questioned her at all!

I've had some just peek inside my bags from downtown disney...
    one lady wanted to see the itemized receipt and looked thru my
    bag to make sure I didn't put anything else in the bag I didn't
    pay for... give me a break! Atleast she didn't unwrap ALL of my
    breakables!

So, basically, in it's current incarnation, security bag checks are
    pointless! Either do them right or don't give people the feeling
    of false security!

This topic has many layers and I'm not sure I should add my two cents...but what the heck!

I think that being afraid and not feeling safe is ridiculous! You have a far greater chance of being injured or dying in a motor vehicle collision than you do at Disneyland as a result of terrorism.

I know a poster wrote that there haven't been any incidents of terrorism at DLand since 9-11 and it's due to the heightened security. Maybe I'm misinformed, but were there any acts of terrorism at DLand before 9-11????

If terrorists really wanted to target DLand, believe me, they would and they could. The security checks probably wouldn't prevent it. I guess I just think we are living in too much fear and it's a waste of energy. 9-11 was horrible and tragic, and I hope we never see anything like it again. But we have to go on with our lives and focus on the wonderful things we have to live for...like I dunno...say....Disneyland!

As for security, DLand has an amazing security system and I feel extremely safe (from other guests, etc.) when I'm there. I can't say that about other theme parks.

• I Hate Peter Pan

The basic question we need to ask ourselves is our they trying to protect us from terrorist or the general puplic?...If a truly trained terrorist with a plan intended on causing harm in DL, then let's just hope that day never happens, because there is a 90% chance they would be successful, bag check or not. Airlines already had security, it did not matter. Yes is was bad security looking back now, but who can ever imagine the worst case really happening. Now if you are trying to stop the mad man from coming in and going on a rampage, then I think the Check point creates a deterrent. Most acts of violence are random and unplanned and the ones that are not are generally carried out at an area that is accessible, such as a school in Colorado, a building in Oklahoma or a McDonald's in San Diego.

My reason for posting on this thread is to say to everyone, Always be aware of your surrounding, the fact that you noticed the person with a knife in line and had the thoughts that you had, goes to show that we do not treat anything in today's society with out a second thought. If you think something is really wrong, notify others, not just security, ask others around you if they feel the same, do not take action on your own, but take action.

Be thankful for these check points, yes they are stupid at times and annoying, but they very well may stop that random gunman from trying to get through. I belive that Disney knows that they are an obvious target, always have been, even before 9/11. The check point creates awareness, it make everyone think about security, that is why this thread started, because someone was thinking about it, it is why some complain, because they are thinking about it, good or bad, but still aware. 50,000 people aware is a good number and hopefully, god forbid, the worst day happends, this awareness will limit damage.

Lastly, enjoy life and continue living it everyday while looking around.
    Last edited by James T Hook; 04-10-2006 at 09:37 AM.
    SMEEEEEEEE.......................HELP ME!!!

• The Unknown Princess

*releases sarcasm*

I always thought the bag checks at parks such as DL and others were to make sure people didn't bring in contraband like OUTSIDE FOOD AND DRINKS

Well that's a more likely scenario really. Not to make light of the security issue. When you go into a place such as DL or anywhere else, you're not supposed to let your guard down even though you want to. It is sad that we can't but if you do you can get run over by a stroller, knocked down by a map-looking visitor, run into a billow of smoke from the smoking areas, see a couple of people tongue-checking for tonsils or get stuck with APers that keep saying the spiel of the rides.....

*pens up sarcasm*

err sorry...just had to.

But seriously back on topic, just because its supposed to be the Happiest Place on Earth, doesn't mean you can put your guard down. Its just like when someone comes to Hawaii and expects no traffic, no crime and tons and tons of sunshine! We are just like any other place. We have traffic, we have crime and yes it does rain here! Please don't expect to be any different. Just because DL is an "escape" doesn't mean there isn't dangers there also....
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

As a CM I know that the DLR is one of the safest places in California, if not the US. There are well-trained security guards throughout the park and the surrounding areas. If you were worried about an apple-cutting knife, then you should have informed one of these many security guards (they wear navy blue pants and red and navy blue ties with mickey all over them, you can't miss them). A cigar cutter is not a huge threat to the guest population, unless you want to cut off someone's finger. I have seen, with my own eyes, other items of a greater threat being taken away from the guests. If there is a problem of violence or misconduct in the resort, it will be stopped immediately.

• e komo mai

(derail)
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydisneydee
    and yes it does rain here!
    It suuuuure does. Ask anyone who lives there about the last month or so...
    (derail)

Re: Security Checks... I sure hope that the Mouse reads this thread.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast