Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Disappointment in Disneyland Security(Bag Checks)

Why does it matter if the security guards at WDW have a better uniform? They're both Disney Security. Disney Security at WDW is not a real police force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl
    After spending yesterday at USH I realized just how safe I feel at DLR.
    When we were at USH last October we caught a kid red handed trying to steal a whole back pack from my sister's stroller. This happened inside one of the dining areas (the one by JP IIRC). The kid just sneaked up and grabbed the back pack. The sister saw him out of the corner of her eye and grabbed the back pack as well. The kid let go and ran away.

A polite suggestion: Don't simply complain about the bag checks and all the things you happen to see get through. Say something. Take responsiblity. It is inexcusable to see someone with a knife or gun or weapon and just get pissy about the bag checks. Talk to a Main Entrance cast member, who are the ones doing the bag checks. Talk to Security, who are in the Main Entry Plaza. Many of you claim to be so adept at picking out the Plain Clothes folks, so talk to them. I promise you that Security will take it seriously. If you see something, tell someone about it. The safety of guests is not just one department's responsiblilty. It is everyone's.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm with Morrigoon on this one. I could start ranting about 4th amendment rights, and then someone would try to tell me they're not valid on private property (I've had this discussion before). Disneyland is the ONLY place I allow my bag to be searched, and it grates me every time. I refuse to patronize other places (besides the airport) where my bags are needlessly rifled through.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Puppy Cuddles

Last time I asked someone about what they were checking for, the CM told me "glass containers." That explains no frapichinos. I think it's annoying and for show as well (just the same way it is at the airport: i mean if I'm wearing 5 dollar Old Navy flip flops do they really have to go through the metal detector?)
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Minion

Exclamation Re: Disappointment in Disneyland Security(Bag Checks)

The bag check area is the ultimate "Fantasy" in the park. What are they protecting us from? Does anyone even remember that the terrorists use airplanes on 9/11? They didn't sneak explosives into the World Trade Center in their Lion King backpack! If they truly want to wipe us out while at the park, they will do so by hijacking a plane from John Wayne International Airport and plunge it into the park, bag check area and all.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    No, it doesn't protect us from the real threat AT ALL. That's the point I'm trying to make. If terrorists actually targeted Disneyland and were determined to do harm, there's almost no way to stop them, short of making guests arrive naked, carrying nothing. Does it make it more difficult? Just a little.

All this bag-checking nonsense has a much greater effect on our sense of freedom than it does on terrorism. People are FAR too willing to give up personal liberties in exchange for a false sense of security. In the end, we have what feels like a more totalitarian society, and we're hardly safer than we were before. But hey, at least we "feel" safe, right?

As Benjamin Franklin once put it: anyone willing to sacrifice personal liberties in exchange for security deserves neither and will lose both.
    Well said, both posts.
    Mike

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

If America didn't sell guns to every tom dick and harry, then there wouldn't be as much a threat They use to sell bullets in K-mart.. like my goodness! If you don't want the danger, then don't sell the weapon.. I am not saying that it won't stop people from getting guns, but it would help lessen how many people have them...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    If America didn't sell guns to every tom dick and harry, then there wouldn't be as much a threat They use to sell bullets in K-mart.. like my goodness! If you don't want the danger, then don't sell the weapon.. I am not saying that it won't stop people from getting guns, but it would help lessen how many people have them...
    Well, only people named Dick are a threat to others. [cough, Mr VP, cough]
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    I don't think selling guns or weapons are the issue. If somebody wants to cause a problem at Disneyland they will, irregardless of the legality of the actions they take before commiting their planned illegal act.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl
    After spending yesterday at USH I realized just how safe I feel at DLR.
    This is a post that says nothing. What was unsafe about USH?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I'm with Morrigoon on this one. I could start ranting about 4th amendment rights, and then someone would try to tell me they're not valid on private property (I've had this discussion before). Disneyland is the ONLY place I allow my bag to be searched, and it grates me every time. I refuse to patronize other places (besides the airport) where my bags are needlessly rifled through.
    So...you're telling me you haven't been to a rock concert or sporting event in the past four years? Staples center? Anaheim Stadium? Both of these two are checking bags and I assume the other large stadiums and forums across the country are as well. Not to mention any of the court buildings in la and orange counties. Heck...even the movie stars had to go through security screening at the Academy awards show.

NEEDLESSLY rifled through? If someone had "needlessly" rifled through the backpacks in London and Spain, over a hundred people would still be alive today who were killed by those blasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    No, it doesn't protect us from the real threat AT ALL.
    My dear Miss Morrigoon...that's quite a statment. AT ALL?

Here are a couple of options:

Option A: Don't check back packs at all, smile and wave and say "have a magical day." Backpack contains fully automatic weapon which is then assembled in a bathroom stall...gunman picks off 70 guests before he is shot by anaheim PD.

Or worse....backpack contains plastic explosive, backpack is left in the plaza just before the fireworks. Over 150 guests are killed, and many more injured.

Option B: Security guard opens back pack and says "Why look at that! It's a bag full of plastic explosives! Code Red!" Suspect is brought down and we all live happily ever after.

Hmmm....Option B seems to outweigh option A by JUST A BIT, DON'T YOU THINK?

So someone looks in my bag and now I have to put my video camera, handywipes, redvines and bag of goldfish back where they were.

Key question: Would I be willing to have some strange man manhandle my goldfish to keep Osama Bin Junior from leaving his backpack in the plaza?

Why....yes. Yes, I think I would.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    So...you're telling me you haven't been to a rock concert or sporting event in the past four years? Staples center? Anaheim Stadium?
    Nope, I sure haven't. Okay, with the exception of the Staples Center for a Lakers game. They don't bag check, or at least they didn't in 2004 when I saw the Lakers whoop the Rocket's behind!

I believe very strongly in our rights to personal privacy and not being harrassed by the powers that be. I back those beliefs up with my actions. I call ahead and ask about the security procedures at a specific location. If they are doing what I believe to be needless bag checks, I don't go. Its that simple.

Also, rifling through someone's bag wouldn't have kept ANYONE safe in London or Spain. They would have found another way to cause damage. That logic is a cop-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Option A: Don't check back packs at all, smile and wave and say "have a magical day." Backpack contains fully automatic weapon which is then assembled in a bathroom stall...gunman picks off 70 guests before he is shot by anaheim PD.

Or worse....backpack contains plastic explosive, backpack is left in the plaza just before the fireworks. Over 150 guests are killed, and many more injured.
    They don't check pockets. What would stop a person from putting everything in the car? Then, slowly throughout the day bringing in pieces and storing stuff in a bag in a locker. Heck, just a hand gun would fit in a pocket.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Airportish? Try Six Flags Magic Mountain-ish.

Now, going THERE scares me. Metal detectors should never be necessary at a theme park. I felt like I was in trouble with the fuzz last time I went to Six Flags. It was just really frightening.
    Actually metal detectors may not be such a bad thing, just make sure they are not over sensitive. Hey, I'll be honest, I feel a LOT safer with the bad checks, even if they really don't do anything.

It's sad and disturbing that there are sick people in this World that would do something like this:

Man, I hated that evil and terrible day. I think a much better bag check is in need, metal detectors may be a good thing, and maybe even those bag checks as well (you know like at the airport). I don't care if it looks Six Flag-ish, if it will protect the park that we love and its people from bombs, knives, etc, I'm ALL for it. Hey, if the castle is imploded, then you would regret Disney not having a much more harsh safely system. I'm all for more safety!

Disney should really take this into serious evaluation. One time or another, a Disney theme park will become a terrorist target, in fact I think it is already on 'the list.' Hopefully though terrorist threats will decrease greatly after this war is finished.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast