Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• The Fantasyland guy

Arrow Disappointment in Disneyland Security(Bag Checks)

Now I know this has been brought up in the past. I fell the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so I am going to bring it up again.

I am extremely disappointed with the security at the DLR. I just got back from a trip to WDW in which I felt... safe. In WDW they have uniformed security officers checking every bag. These guys wouldn’t let me in the park with a cigar cutter that was in my backpack. What a concept!

In DL, I have come in 300 times since 2001 when they started checking bags. No one has ever said a word about a stupid cigar cutter. (It is a single bladed cutter in two halfs, looks more like a knife.) I have even seen guests with 6" knifes in line for rides using them to cut apples. This makes me uncomfortable because even thou I know this women I saw in line for Pan wont not use this knife against me or my family, it means someone else with bad intentions COULD.

In WDW, I got stopped at two different parks and I was forced to put it back in my car. (At the second park, I had put it back in my bag on purpose to test them.)

I feel that I am not safe at the DLR. Regular CM's can NOT check bags and have no idea what to look for. If DL management thinks that a simple training is enough to secure the parks, they are kidding themselves.

Why does WDW have uniformed security fully checking every bag, when we get the shaft over in CA? Does the Disney Company not feel that their original park is worth protecting?

I value your opinion, if you think I’m out of my mind and things are ok... please let me know. If a women slicing an apple in line for pan with a 6" knife doesn’t bother you because you know she wont use it to take the park hostage is ok, let me know.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Disappointment in Disneyland Security(Bag Checks)

My opinion:

They should do away with the silly bag checks, not make them stricter. It's a pain, it won't protect DL against anyone with any real designs on causing problems (because really, it's almost impossible to protect yourself from anyone planning on taking their own life in the process - what can you possibly deter them with?). So all bag check really does is make people "feel" safe, not make them actually safe. And it makes everyone else annoyed. It doesn't *actually* do any good.

It can't really protect DL against what people assume it's intended to protect DL against (terrorism), so why keep it up? Just do away with it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Does the Disney Company not feel that their original park is worth protecting?
    I certainly don't think that is the case, or at least I sure as heck hope not. The thing about security bag checks is, it's done as a post-9-11 requirement to at least look like Disney is trying their best to take additional measures of safety. Quite honestly, imo I think they are doing a pretty good job with it the times cast members have checked my backpack. (Mind you, it has a lot of zippers, and they have me open every single one!) I'd hate to think what more they would do. Metal detectors? Boy, that would be airport-ish.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• The Fantasyland guy

Valid points both of you... Maybe less is more as Morrigoon describes.

I am not pro-security here. I guess to summorize what I wanted to say in one line: Do security right, or dont do it at all.

The Simi-check they do now is useless and just a waste of money. they are not fooling anyone.

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    they are not fooling anyone.
    *stares at screen*

Oh.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    I'd hate to think what more they would do. Metal detectors? Boy, that would be airport-ish.
    Airportish? Try Six Flags Magic Mountain-ish.

Now, going THERE scares me. Metal detectors should never be necessary at a theme park. I felt like I was in trouble with the fuzz last time I went to Six Flags. It was just really frightening.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• no flash photography...

the bag checks are just to make peope think they are safe. they suck, they barely look in the bags and they do not do ANYTHING to make anyone safe. So, they look in my purse I could have 5 guns on me and many more knives they will never find. I do not bring weapins anywhere, but it would not take a rocket scientists to figure out how to get something in the parks.

so, I agree with you.....I don't have the answer though. at magic mountain they have metal dectectors. i set one off once. They pulled me aside and hand scanned me (at the time I was wearing a fanny pack ) and they got to my waist and the machine went off. i went to open the bag so they could look inside and he said, "do you ahve a cell phone?" i said yes and he said ok, cell phones set it off all the time and he let me in without looking in my bag. I didn't even get it unzipped.....

but no worries if anything happens DL will get security tighter...*read sarcasm*

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

California laid-back thinking, perhaps?

• Disney Nerd

yes the bag checks are quite lame, more of a show of safety...and honestly as a cm, going backstage my bag is often not checked at all. so i guess us cm's are just more honest then guests. not the point....

the point is please do not blame security for this. they would prefer to be doing the bag checks....and once you're in those gates, safety is #1. you may not always know it's there, but disneyland is about a safe a place as they come. and if there is a problem, chances are 99.9999% of guests wont know a thing happened. it's always about keeping the guests safe, and dealing with any compromise of that out of their sight.

*/end rant*

• Princess Mouse Ears

I keep thinking of that clip from Bowling for Columbine when the kid pulls out a dozen different weapons from his pants.
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• that's right!

it's not a disneyland problem. someone could stab you on the street, it's not any more or less likely at disneyland. actually, it's probably less likely because you're not very likely to get mugged at a place where admission is $50.

• I love my family!

The check points serve as a simple deterrent and as a mental safety boost for the GP.

I understand them and what purpose they serve but, I still can’t believe how paranoid people have become.
    Sure, the terrorist are one thing but come on, do we really believe that you have to worry that much about the GP at DL or any other Disney park for that matter? Do really think that your going to get jumped out of the blue at a theme park? Most if not all park fights are started by stupid people running into other stupid people that didn’t get along to begin with, which could happen any where. So what’s next bag search’s at the mall, the market or at McDonalds?

There are stupid people everywhere but when you’re afraid of everyone and everything around you, all you’re doing is making yourself and more then likely the people around you miserable.

Why can’t we just live our lives and be happy again?

Sorry for the rant guys, kind of a sore subject with me and of course it is just IMHO and is not directed at anyone in particular.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Daisylovesteacups
    I keep thinking of that clip from Bowling for Columbine when the kid pulls out a dozen different weapons from his pants.
    Dude, that clip was AWESOME. I know we were supposed to be shocked or disturbed or whatnot, but I was just freaking impressed.

Bag checks are for PR, nothing more. Glass bottles are the only thing they catch with any consistency.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Just Me

After spending yesterday at USH I realized just how safe I feel at DLR.

• e komo mai

A couple of things bug me about the bag check area.

1. They aren't thorough. If they are going to inconvenience everyone, do it right.

2. I tried to bypass the bag check waiting line once when I came to the park carrying nothing. They told me I had to wait in line. I asked them why, they said they needed to see if I was carrying a knife or something in my pockets. I said, okay. When it was my turn in line, they just waved me in without checking me at all. Completely pointless. When I brought it up to a Lead, she didn't seem to know what to do with my complaint, she just shrugged.

3. I think the CMs running the area should be Security CMs. There should be a specific level of training for these CMs to deal with properly checking people in. I respect all of the CMs, but my bag being checked by a CM who started the day before doesn't make me feel secure.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast