Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand Openings for Attractions

I was watching a dvd last night about Disneyland's Submarine Voyage ride when it first opened in 1959. The grand opening of the ride was a really big deal. Recently, we all saw what Disney did when they opened Buzz Lightyear. I'm wondering if anyone knows what Disneyland did when they officially opened attractions such as The Haunted Mansion or Pirates?

• Banned User

Neat little fact: During America Sings grand opening their was confetti thrown everywhere and all the Audio Animatronic charecters wore party hats. During Splash Mountains opening, which is kind of like a sequel of sorts to america sings considering it features almost the entire animatronic cast, their was confetti thrown everyhwere and all the charecters wore party hats.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

At the grand opening of POTC, they had a show of a battle between soldiers and pirates with people walking off the plank of the Sailing Ship Columbia. You can see it on the Pirates of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Paerl DVD.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Richard Nixon and family cut the ribbon (well - tried to anyway) for the opening of the monorail in 1959. The ribbon wouldn't cut with the giant scissors, so Walt Disney just grabbed it and broke it by hand.

The opening of Tomorrowland 1967 (including all the attractions there: Adventure through Inner Space, Carousel of Progress, Peoplemover, etc.) was done up with Mickey in a space helmet surrounded by various Disney suits and the current Disneyland Ambassador, as well as buglers up along the Peoplemover track and thousands of balloons floating into the distance.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    Neat little fact: ... During Splash Mountains opening, which is kind of like a sequel of sorts to america sings considering it features almost the entire animatronic cast, their was confetti thrown everyhwere and all the charecters wore party hats.
    Hmmm, maybe it's so little known because those who were there saw nothing of the sort.

It was a giant balloon release - the last of the grand Disneyland balloon releases in fact - that was the celebratory element of the Splash opening, and there was nary a party hat on any of the AA characters.

• Sock Puppet

Oops.

• Merry 2014!

grand openings need to be grander, imo. that's what i miss about the old disney channel- they would televise those great grand opening parties as well as all the old promotions for the park.

Buzz lightyear has not officailly opened yet. The official opening day is may 5 2005.

• Zapp's Minion :D

Quote Originally Posted by Raysir X
    Buzz lightyear has not officailly opened yet. The official opening day is may 5 2005.

I thought that the offical opening day for Buzz was on March 17th 2005?!
    :confused: :confused:

nope thats called a soft opening or previews they need a real load and practice to make sure the official opening has no problems it is listed there at the resort as officially opening May 5 2005, therefore the official opening is going to make a big deal about buzz lightyear but if telling locals Buzzlightyear is open now and brings in customers then no problem advertising on the I5 and other places locally to get the money before May 5 2005 when they know they have your money in Eisners pocket.

I officially rode it yesterday...

I officially rode it last week but that doesnt mean I rode it after it officially opened. I just rode an official preview just like you.

• Smells like beer

No dude, the official opening for Buzz was March 17th I was there. They had Buzz come out in a hummer with a bunch of green army men. Lots of green cause it was St. Patricks Day. I was also there during the sneak preview, they took down the sneak preview sign on the 17th.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• Zapp's Minion :D

I officially rode it last week but that doesnt mean I rode it after it officially opened. I just rode an official preview just like you.
    Preveiw??????

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.p...highlight=Buzz

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.p...highlight=Buzz

lets just say that the company lists it as officially opening for the 50 th celebration on May 5 2005. If you have an arguement with the companies policy then argue them. I just posted here telling ya all that they might plan some surprises for the official opening of Buzzlight year on May 5 2005. If the company wants the locals to come now during the slow period (after spring break) of course they are going to tell you it is opened now becuase it is open now. But Disney has a world wide marketing blitz anouncing a new ride for th 50 th it is Buzz lightyear with a celebration on May 5 2005. Just becuase you and I rode it already and they had a local marketing ad with little green army men ( how the heck the green army men connect with Buzzlightyear's Astro blasters video game from toy story II is beyond common sense) Does not mean that I am wrong in saying that the resort states that it is offcially opened May 5 2005. If may 5 2005 comes along and they dont celebrate the opening of the ride officailly then bash on me overtly, until then dont bash in me in the subtle way that I feel I am being teased for spouting what the Disney company has stated that the official opening is MAy 5 2005 period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast