Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mechavalon

Somewhere between here and there, but not too far from Disneyland!

Talking How deep doth the maddness go?

Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here and expose my fragile little ego in an attempt to flush out some like minded people...

That said, yesterday was my 30th birthday, and more than anything in the world I wanted a Happy Birthday sticker from Disneyland with my name, age, and the year on it. Simple enough, but the condition was it had to be gotten on my birthday... (Always a catch).

So after spending the previous day/night party-hardy with friends and family, I decided I would venture, alone if I had to, to retrieve this said Holy Grail!

Sadly the days events never led to a leisurely stroll in the park…. Instead, it ushered in a night of terror and a new land speed record in a minivan of all vehicles.

After watching the latest episode of the Sopranos that ended at 10:00pm, (could have been better) I jumped up, proclaimed, “I am going to Disneyland” and ran for the door.

I flew low and made the 100+ mile trek in less than an hour and by 11:00pm I was walking through the gates as Zoe, (the ticket taking CM) said “Happy Birthday Thomas!”

I made my way to City Hall and received not one, but two, (one to wear and one to keep) stickers!

The rest of the night was spent under the flag pole just watching time pass…

Now, my question to you fellow Mice Chatters is this, what crazy things have you done just for a trip to Disneyland?
    -Mechavalon

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Re: How deep doth the maddness go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechavalon
    Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here and expose my fragile little ego in an attempt to flush out some like minded people...

That said, yesterday was my 30th birthday, and more than anything in the world I wanted a Happy Birthday sticker from Disneyland with my name, age, and the year on it. Simple enough, but the condition was it had to be gotten on my birthday... (Always a catch).

So after spending the previous day/night party-hardy with friends and family, I decided I would venture, alone if I had to, to retrieve this said Holy Grail!

Sadly the days events never led to a leisurely stroll in the park…. Instead, it ushered in a night of terror and a new land speed record in a minivan of all vehicles.

After watching the latest episode of the Sopranos that ended at 10:00pm, (could have been better) I jumped up, proclaimed, “I am going to Disneyland” and ran for the door.

I flew low and made the 100+ mile trek in less than an hour and by 11:00pm I was walking through the gates as Zoe, (the ticket taking CM) said “Happy Birthday Thomas!”

I made my way to City Hall and received not one, but two, (one to wear and one to keep) stickers!

The rest of the night was spent under the flag pole just watching time pass…

Now, my question to you fellow Mice Chatters is this, what crazy things have you done just for a trip to Disneyland?
    I don't find what you did crazy at all, In fact it sounds quite normal to me.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• All you need is LOVE

As long as you are happy all that matters

• Mechavalon

Somewhere between here and there, but not too far from Disneyland!

Talking Re: How deep doth the maddness go?

Aw... I feel all warm and cozy with y'all... see I knew I wasn't crazy!
    -Mechavalon

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Not crazy at all. Good for you on getting your Happy Birthday stickers! Happy Belated B-day! I too wanted to go on the day after my birthday (which by the way, they should still give you a sticker for) because my birthday landed on a Thursday this year but a change of plans happened and I went to go see a taping of the George Lopez show and even met the cast thanks to a family friend of mine who works on the show. And I even got to tour the stage of ER that night as well and got tickets to go to the Magic Castle in Hollywood for whenever I want to go but even though I got all these lovely little gifts a part of me was a bit disappointed I didn't get to spend the day with my b/f at Disneyland.

But I have skipped school when I used to go to CSUF to chill out for a couple of hours before going to work in Fullerton. I have even at times driven to my boyfriend's place early (he lives like right across the street from DLR so I could take a quick trip around the park, even if for 45 minutes, etc.

I'm still stuck on 100+ miles in less than an hour.

Unless I'm missing something, you were driving upwards of 160 miles an hour. I'm glad I wasn't out then.

The wackiest thing I ever did was buy a couple of airline tickets for my wife and myself at the last minute and take a weekend trip last November. Guess I lead a sheltered life.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm willing to bet Mech was driving at least 110mph, its his standard rate of speed (and absolutely terrifying I might add).

Mech, did the girls go with you, or was this a solo venture?

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Koodoos for you, but next time maybe slow down just a bit!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Minion

Wink Re: How deep doth the maddness go?

Back in the spring of 1995 for Disneylands 40th anniversary they were giving out the famous 40th Anniversary Collector Trading cards. I was determined to collect all 40 of them. Now as some of you may know they only gave out one per day and after that day was done the cards were gone forever so if you missed a day you would have to try to trade someone for it.

So there I went, for 40 days in a row, through rain or shine (and I do mean heavy rain. This was back before DCA when the parking lot would flood due to the poor drainage), driving 30+ miles each way. I even dragged my kid sister there and made her wait in the car while I made my quick dash inside and snatched my card. Eventually it was over and I managed to collect all the cards. Was it worth it?

Does winnie the pooh crap in the 100 acre woods?

• Minion

And before anyone asks.....NO, I do not want to trade any of my cards!

Only thing that struck me as a wee bit crazy was driving 100 miles in an hour? How the heck fast were you going? Think I may have taped the show and gone a tad slower. Other than that not crazy at all to me.

Have a very merry un-birthday

jan
    Janette

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Seems to me, after experiencing Cali highways, that going over 100mph is not out of the norm. But then again, I was screaming, trying to keep up, so maybe I missed something.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with what you did. My partner just turned forty and I took him all the way out there for the same reason...so he could get a sticker and a phone call from Goofy. He loved it.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Drunk On Disney

On my last birthday my wife surprised me with a round trip plane ticket (from NJ to Orlando.)
    She dropped me off at the airport in the morning and picked me up late that night.

I didn't get a sticker, however.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Off topic...in College I drove about 45 miles in just over 15 minutes to catch a midnight showing of "The Holy Grail." Looking back, it was incredibly dangerous and put many lives in danger other than mine. If some drunk pulls out in front of you, you are toast...and if you lose control, you might take out some family on their way home from Disneyland. So....I haven't done that since. Also....at that speed, they will often take you straight to Jail...once they have caught up with you.

As for Disneyland, I have only done the typical blowing off of work to make sure I got to go at least once on a school day with the park nearly empty. When I taught public high school, several of my teacher friends and I would call in sick with a "mental health day" and all of us would ditch and go to Disneyland. It was the best medicine in the world! Half empty park, and hanging out with your friends. I highly recommend this idea to all who are over stressed....but it has to be during the slower part of the year when the crowds are low, or it could have the opposite effect.

• For You!

Wow - I don't think that I've ever been that adventurous! But, my birthday is next week, will someone tell my husband that a plane ticket to DL would be the best gift ever!!!!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast