Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

MamaB, point taken.

And you're right; those other things aren't why I come here, so like Druggas, its nice to see a thread that actually reflects why I do. That, and I've truly met some great people.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    The dolls run all night. Without the music there is a lot of clicking noises as the dolls blink. A few times they turned off all of the dolls for some reason. It was really creepy to me because it was so quiet after having the comforting noise each night before. There would be a mechanic who would check out the dolls each night or each few nights. Also, people from housekeeping would come in and change the dolls' outfits when they needed to be changed. The outfits wore out from the inside out.
    I had a buddy, well actually my dad's buddy, who was an engineer (not train) at DL in the 80's, One story he told is of the Grand Canyon Diorama, and how someone had made a suggestion to turn off the lights in the diorama at night when the park was closed in order to save money on utilities and such. They had to have a guy come in and measure all of the light levels and such so that they could bring the lights back up the exact same each morning. It wasn't as simple as flipping an on off switch on the ride. I don't know if they ever actually made the change, he retired and move before I found out, but it was a cool story none the less.

• Minion

Talking Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

When I worked on the Jungle Cruise in 1995 I used to come in and open the attraction along with several other skippers. We would turn on each boat, one by one, probably similiar to what they did on the Keel Boats. Once the boats were powered on we would take a "dead head" out on the river and make sure all the animatronic animals were working right. If there were no problems we flipped the jungle sounds on, a series of light switches located in the office, just to the left of the unload dock. All at once the jungle came alive with the sounds of animals and African warriors celebrating. Just before we were assigned our boats we were issued real guns with ammo (blanks of course), a microphone and emergency ammo. The emergency ammo was much louder than the regular ammo and was to be used in case your radio died and your boat broke down or some other emergency. Three shots in the air would tell the guys on the dock it was a real emergecy and they should get security and the medics ready on the dock. That's why you only hear the gun shoot twice when we shot at the hippos. We didn't want anyone to misinterpret the 3 shot emergency signal.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    When I worked on the Jungle Cruise in 1995 I used to come in and open the attraction along with several other skippers. We would turn on each boat, one by one, probably similiar to what they did on the Keel Boats. Once the boats were powered on we would take a "dead head" out on the river and make sure all the animatronic animals were working right. If there were no problems we flipped the jungle sounds on, a series of light switches located in the office, just to the left of the unload dock. All at once the jungle came alive with the sounds of animals and African warriors celebrating. Just before we were assigned our boats we were issued real guns with ammo (blanks of course), a microphone and emergency ammo. The emergency ammo was much louder than the regular ammo and was to be used in case your radio died and your boat broke down or some other emergency. Three shots in the air would tell the guys on the dock it was a real emergecy and they should get security and the medics ready on the dock. That's why you only hear the gun shoot twice when we shot at the hippos. We didn't want anyone to misinterpret the 3 shot emergency signal.
    Fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Wow, very cool...

• Senior Minion

Wow, that's cool info,ExJs! Love it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• OM NOM NOM

For Attractions (Mine were Sun Wheel, King Triton's Carousel, Maliboomer, and Orange Stinger), the opening crew could not do anything unless the ride was signed off by Maintenance. Once that was taken care of (they usually finished with our attractions WAY before we got there), we went through the checklist. This usually consisted of checking the overall show, safety, and effeciency of the particular attraction. We would check for any slip/trip hazards, check all the fire extinguishers, make sure the E-Stops all worked (KT's Carousel), and walk the queue, checking for trash, obstructions and/or sharp edges. After the basics were all checked off, we would announce start-up of our attraction and power it up (except for Maliboomer, which is started by Maintenance). The rest of the opening procedures usually consisted of several test-runs and the checking of all of the restraints. We would then open the queue, take our positions, then relax until guests were within eyeshot.

You know those tracks out in Main Street? Well, did you know that those are greased every morning without fail? One guy walks along the track with a big brush and a bucket, greasing every curve in the tracks.

I have a friend who says that he saw Fantasmic! being performed at two in the morning. No crowd. At all. Just a test run I guess, but Fantasmic! with NO audience seems to be one of those funny things from "Disneyland after Dark".
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95

.... Just before we were assigned our boats we were issued real guns with ammo (blanks of course), a microphone and emergency ammo. The emergency ammo was much louder than the regular ammo and was to be used in case your radio died and your boat broke down or some other emergency.

Whew.... I was afraid the emergency ammo was for unruley APers....

^--- Lol!

• OM NOM NOM

Who said it wasn't dual-use?
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Minion

Wink Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

I also worked on Pirates and I only got to open the attraction twice, while in training. I had to start at 4 in the morning so that way the trainer could show us all of it before having to start the morning prep at 6. It was just a matter of turning on the pumps which control the water flow from downstairs to upstairs or vice versa. There are these dams that are placed at the top of the first drop and the top of the lift so that the water doesn't drain downstairs and flood the place. My trainer would tell me stories of newbies who would forget to place the dams at night and in the morning, before the maintenace guys would get there, alot of the water up in the bayou would be gone and water way too high on the sets downstairs.

Just as it is on It's A Small World, the animatronics continue running all night. It is very creepy, especially when a maintenance guy was in the middle of working on a pirate. Those guys look like Terminators without their clothes on except they have flesh on their hands and head.

• Minion

This is such a cool thread! Do any other former or current CM have any more stories?

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    This is such a cool thread! Do any other former or current CM have any more stories?
    Yeah, we're hungry for more stories!

We wants the stories.
    We wants the stories.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Wink Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

While I was there Disney had a special cast member only private party one night called "Backstage Magic". For the event, each cast member could bring along one special guest and see all the behind the scenes actions. It was a great event which let cast members and their guests roam around the entire park, venturing into backstage areas that would normally be off limits. My friend and I got to see the roundhouse where the trains were stored, all the different shops behind Toontown where signs are made and various other items. We even got to see the "Attractions Graveyard", a dumping ground of sorts, where we saw several attraction ride components which were old Pirates boats, small world boats, a few broken Doombuggies etc. It was a great experience and we got to take pictures while posing on attraction sets like posing on the dead pirates bed in Pirates or getting behind the bars with the pirates trying to get the keys from the dog.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Yeah, we're hungry for more stories!

We wants the stories.
    We wants the stories.
    I'm not sponging for rum, it be stories I'm after!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast