Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    While I was there Disney had a special cast member only private party one night called "Backstage Magic". For the event, each cast member could bring along one special guest and see all the behind the scenes actions. It was a great event which let cast members and their guests roam around the entire park, venturing into backstage areas that would normally be off limits. My friend and I got to see the roundhouse where the trains were stored, all the different shops behind Toontown where signs are made and various other items. We even got to see the "Attractions Graveyard", a dumping ground of sorts, where we saw several attraction ride components which were old Pirates boats, small world boats, a few broken Doombuggies etc. It was a great experience and we got to take pictures while posing on attraction sets like posing on the dead pirates bed in Pirates or getting behind the bars with the pirates trying to get the keys from the dog.
    That's the tour that I want to go on! You were so lucky back then. I don't think they will offer that anymore.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• That Guy

I also want to agree this is a great thread. It is a welcome break from the 'Things I would do if I were in charge of trash can placement in toon town' threads........

Thanks guys.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I always worked closing shifts. How about a park closing story?

After closing up the stores and walking back to costuming/cast lot, it is interesting to see the park completely empty. But the music is still playing and the lights are all on. My favorite when I was a newbie was seeing the castle, still all lit, but with no one there. Beautiful.

Then all the maintenance people come out. They are driving golf cart type vehicles. And then you see the landscapers come out. Strange seeing fully grown trees being towed down Main Street. They set up flood lights so they can see what they are doing. Disneyland is definitely never empty or quiet.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I always worked closing shifts. How about a park closing story?

After closing up the stores and walking back to costuming/cast lot, it is interesting to see the park completely empty. But the music is still playing and the lights are all on. My favorite when I was a newbie was seeing the castle, still all lit, but with no one there. Beautiful.

Then all the maintenance people come out. They are driving golf cart type vehicles. And then you see the landscapers come out. Strange seeing fully grown trees being towed down Main Street. They set up flood lights so they can see what they are doing. Disneyland is definitely never empty or quiet.
    So do you still work there? Did you get any pictures?

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    So do you still work there? Did you get any pictures?
    Sadly, no and no.

• Minion

Wink Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

I used to have some great behind the scenes pics, like the ones I mentioned posing with various Pirates and other animatronic creatures, even a pic of the secret charachter head room, where all the disney charachter heads are sitting up against a wall like some madmans trophy room. As to what happened to the pics, I don't have a clue. The pics came out great and I remember letting people borrow them a few times and lost track of who had them. For all I know the Disney secret police found out about them and confiscated them (No cameras were allowed that night).

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by eyes_of_mara
    I have a friend who says that he saw Fantasmic! being performed at two in the morning. No crowd. At all. Just a test run I guess, but Fantasmic! with NO audience seems to be one of those funny things from "Disneyland after Dark".
    One of my "favorite" Night stories...It was in the fall, so they must have been getting F! ready for the December season. But they would run F! without any boats or preformers. Just the lights and sounds. They ran it like that for a couple of nights, then they added the fireworks to the mix. So, it would be the sound, lights and fireworks.

I was working the hose crew all week in the Fronteerland. So was I was getting used to hearing the music and seeing the lights of F! as I worked. Then one night I was standing on the Mark Twain dock hosing the leaves into the RoA. I was wearing my blue hoody (that's how I remember it was fall)

Well, I looked up just in time to see the Mark Twain come by full of characters! I bearly had time to turn off my hose before the MT sailed past. I was right on the dock. All of the characters smiled and waved to me as they did the grand finale dance. The best was when Arial smiled and winked at me!

During lunch I was all excited and told the other guys of the hose crew. They all looked at me like I was some kind of freak.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    During lunch I was all excited and told the other guys of the hose crew. They all looked at me like I was some kind of freak.
    Ha Ha Ha
    I love it! I love this whole thread. Very Awsome.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Namaste and Good Luck

When the clock strikes midnight (or whatever time we close) security starts going through the lands sweeping the guests out. Once all of the lands are clear (except for Main Street) an All Call goes out on the radio "Disneyland Park is cleared to the hub. Please keep all maintenance trucks clear of the hub." (Or something along those lines.) The all the backstage gates open up and the hosing trucks as well as the gardeners come out and begin their work under Stage lights and flood lights. The really interesting part is when they do the parade once, and the floats all drive down the street w/o music or effects. They all sound very creeky...much like the trams from the structure to the park.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

There was nothing quite like coming into work early in the morning...my NOMK shifts,for example, often started at 7AM or earlier. Quite often the morning food prep crew would meet at the "Inn Between", the 24-hour employee cafeteria behind the Plaza Inn, and either have breakfast or grab a donut and coffee and stroll through the park (if we weren't in a hurry - and usually our "lead" was part of the group anyway!)

I vividly remember the rumble of engines on Main Street with delivery trucks of all shapes and sizes. People from gardening and landscaping everywhere doing their amazing work...and just lots of maintenance people and cleaning people and the chatter of their communication radios...Streets and sidewalks glistening from all the hosing down...

I always felt a sense of wonder just walking through and seeing the place...knowing that another day was upon us...and we'd go in a door near POTC and make our way down toward our little hideaway and get to work.

Back in the day, at least, the "receiver" (responsible for every delivery) was in at 5AM...the first potwashers, cooks, etc. at 6...the rest of us at 7...to begin preparing food, especially all the fresh soups, sauces, lots of different "prep" work...even though none of the restaurants we served (besides the Disneyland Employees Cafeteria or "DEC") opened before 11 AM...There are (at least were) two employee cafeterias...
    Sorry, no stories per se, but I hope you enjoyed my memories anyway...

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

As a ticket seller and cash handler, I was able to work in a variety of places during the late 80s. I liked opening up penny arcade when it was an actual arcade. Rod Miller would pass by the booth every morning and he always greeted me with a cheery "Good Morning!" It was interesting to watch the guests fill the arcade and then at rope drop, the arcade would empty again for awhile.

As I had a lot of early morning work, I became friends with a maintenance worker who painted the walkways. He was usually working on the Adventureland walkway, painting the entire area in a red tone. He did it every day, so Adventureland looked great when the guests arrived. He would finish up an hour before the park gates opened with no worries because the paint solution was designed to dry rapidly.

If I had an assignment at the hotel, I would wait at the monorail platform in the early morning and wait for the first monorail to arrive into the station. While I am guessing there were CMs working somewhere in the area, Tomorrowland appeared to be vacant as I walked towards the empty platform. It appeared like I was the only person in Tomorrowland until the Monorail would arrive. I never did see any other souls during the many times I was up there and I would marvel out how crowded this area would become in a a matter of hours. The operator and myself were the only riders on the monorail and that made the trip unique for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton
    As I had a lot of early morning work, I became friends with a maintenance worker who painted the walkways. He was usually working on the Adventureland walkway, painting the entire area in a red tone. He did it every day, so Adventureland looked great when the guests arrived. He would finish up an hour before the park gates opened with no worries because the paint solution was designed to dry rapidly.
    That's interesting. Kind of like the Golden Gate Bridge, no doubt. By the time he paints the last few feet of the walkway, the part he started on a few weeks/months ago is ready for another coat.

• e komo mai

There are so many cool stories here! I couldn't read any of them yesterday (stupid long company meetings). I find all of these tidbits totally fascinating. I love that there is a huge crew of people working hard at DL that we never see. Huge thanks to those folks who work hard almost anonymous to the guests.

I'm going to re-read this thread now. (The idea is to do it and still look like I'm working... )

• Hooterville, USA

It's the first thread I look for everyday.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Here is a photo from another webiste of early morning DL. Those wagons in the photo are how they resupply the stores.

http://www.disneylies.com/disneyland...rhours_b.shtml

It's from Disney Lies, so the story isn't true, but it's a good photo. Well expect for the robot cleaner,,,

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast