Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Artsy Fartsy

Re: Disneyland Morning Prep?

^cute pic!! Gotta love that Rumba. And disneylies for that matter!

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• OM NOM NOM

One day, near the end of my Grad Nite guest control shift, my team was called to stand outside the gates, directing all the kids to their correct bus areas. While waiting for them to release everyone, I noticed that there were two guys with long-handled brushes, cleaning the letters in front of DCA. So that's why they are always clean and shiny!
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

I have had the pleasure of working both closing and opening shifts as a sweeper and I can tell you the morning is the best time. Disneyland is so quiet early in the morning. You can hear the Snow White wishing well blaring so loudly it seems bizarre. Later the guest chatter drowns it out.

I really enjoyed pushing the puddles away, from the nightly hosing, around the Matterhorn. Nice, quiet, cool, and peaceful. It was such a huge contrast from the chaos of the day. I would scrape gum, clean rails, and sweep up leaves. Not glamorous but it was such an unusual experience. I am a major Disneyland Geek and my two summers of work there during college was a complete joy. Seriously, I had those happy butterflies in my stomach each day I woulod arrive. Long-time sweepers who felt trapped in their job hated me. Ah well.

One night I worked a closing shift and a few sweepers were asked to extend and help clean the People Mover cars. Of course I said yes! We waited in the station as each car moved in, the ride was stopped, a high pressure water spray cleaned the vehicles, and then we dried them with paper towels. 1:00 am to 4:00 am. I was a fun one-time thing.

I personally enjoyed being asked to clean attractions during the day. I had to clean gum out of a Tea Cup and it took several ride cycles to get it all out. Fun!

I also liked sweeping Tomorrowland and riding the Monorail to the hotel to sweep the station there and then return by Monorail.

Least favorite things to do were to clean "Code V's and U's" Vomit and urine. Code V's were really common and the most typical time was between 9 and 11 in the morning. Children usually. Sweepers have an additional code for these which describe the severity of the event. The barf dust or "Pixie dust" that you sprinkle onto vomit to absorb it comes in small bags. So of course the amount of bags needed to clean the mess determines how bad it is. One bagger, two bagger, etc.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Disney Gram

I love hearing these stories too...I so dream of retirement and then working at Disneyland!!!!
    I too
    Sharon
    Next Trip - Nov. 13-19 2011

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mushufan
    I have had the pleasure of working both closing and opening shifts as a sweeper and I can tell you the morning is the best time. Disneyland is so quiet early in the morning. You can hear the Snow White wishing well blaring so loudly it seems bizarre. Later the guest chatter drowns it out.

I really enjoyed pushing the puddles away, from the nightly hosing, around the Matterhorn. Nice, quiet, cool, and peaceful. It was such a huge contrast from the chaos of the day. I would scrape gum, clean rails, and sweep up leaves. Not glamorous but it was such an unusual experience. I am a major Disneyland Geek and my two summers of work there during college was a complete joy. Seriously, I had those happy butterflies in my stomach each day I woulod arrive. Long-time sweepers who felt trapped in their job hated me. Ah well.

One night I worked a closing shift and a few sweepers were asked to extend and help clean the People Mover cars. Of course I said yes! We waited in the station as each car moved in, the ride was stopped, a high pressure water spray cleaned the vehicles, and then we dried them with paper towels. 1:00 am to 4:00 am. I was a fun one-time thing.

I personally enjoyed being asked to clean attractions during the day. I had to clean gum out of a Tea Cup and it took several ride cycles to get it all out. Fun!

I also liked sweeping Tomorrowland and riding the Monorail to the hotel to sweep the station there and then return by Monorail.

Least favorite things to do were to clean "Code V's and U's" Vomit and urine. Code V's were really common and the most typical time was between 9 and 11 in the morning. Children usually. Sweepers have an additional code for these which describe the severity of the event. The barf dust or "Pixie dust" that you sprinkle onto vomit to absorb it comes in small bags. So of course the amount of bags needed to clean the mess determines how bad it is. One bagger, two bagger, etc.
    Love your story thanks! So detailed, I would love to be there when it is closed to see how much one can hear still going on.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by mushufan
    I have had the pleasure of working both closing and opening shifts...
    I feel like such a Disneyland junkie. More more more!

• Dont make me unfriend you

I came across this article recently. It talks about 3 CM's who work the night shift.

http://www.mickeynews.com/News/Displ...id_E_6154Night

Disneyland night crew enjoys sprucing up after closing and the perks of odd hours. Some call themselves vampires. They say good morning at midnight, when others say goodnight. They arrive at Disneyland as the last guests leave and stay until the magic begins again the next day.
    Among the 1,200 nocturnal engineers, bakers, plumbers, hotel crews and other workers is a woman security guard who works nights because the sun aggravates her skin cancer. There is a janitor who likes the cool air at night, and a tree trimmer who wants to spend time with his children during the day.

[deleted stuff about shift workers nationaly]

Unlike Cinderella, who never got any appreciation for her work from her evil stepmother, the night crew at Disneyland got their appreciation recently when about 75 executives served them breakfast at 3 a.m.
    "It's a basic human need to feel appreciated," said Matt Ouimet, president of Disneyland Resorts, as he waited to speak to the workers. "It's easier with the day shift, but the night shift can be out of sight, out of mind if you're not careful."
    Night-shift workers are prone to create their own workplace culture, said David Mitchell, director of research publications at Circadian Technologies, a shift-work research company in Lexington, Mass. The hours usually shut them out from the usual corporate events, which can foster a feeling of alienation from the day-shift workers.
    The night-shift workers tend to be younger, and since managers typically don't work at night, the employees go about their work more independently.
    "It fosters a lower stress and less-hectic work environment," he said.
    Philip Ruiz, 38, arborist at the Disneyland Resort, spends his nights climbing trees and trimming branches.
    He's part of a 10-man team that takes care of the 17,000 trees in and around the resort. He's worked nights at a book warehouse before but started at the Disneyland Resort in November.
    "I love Disneyland," Ruiz said. "We get to make the park look beautiful for all the guests. There is a lot of pride in that."
    Although the park resembles New York streets during rush-hour by day, it gets a small-town feel at night.
    Cars and golf cars drive leisurely around the Main Street traffic circle. Occasionally, workers stroll down the sidewalks, gazing in the windows. The park is mainly quiet, except for some recorded tunes, which sound oddly out of place, like someone forgot to turn off the radio before locking up. The sounds of waterfalls, drowned out by the noise of thousands of guests during the day, add ambience at night.
    Working while the park rests allows Ruiz to spend his days with his three boys, ages 9, 6 and 4. He usually arrives at his Montclair home at about 11 a.m. and picks up his 4-year-old son from daycare. The two of them take a nap for a couple of hours before his other two sons and his wife come home. The whole family goes to bed at 8 p.m., and Ruiz gets up at midnight to get to his shift by 2 a.m.
    "I love the hours," Ruiz said. "The kids hardly know I'm gone."
    Better arrangements for family and children was the third most-popular (12 percent) reason given by participants in the Bureau of Labor Statistics survey for choosing to work night shifts. About 40 percent said it was the nature of the job to work nights, while 17 percent said the night shift was a personal preference.
    Although Ruiz gets between six or seven hours of sleep in a 24-hour period, staying "fresh" can be difficult, he said. Difficult, but crucial. His job involves hoisting himself up tree trunks and trimming branches guided by floodlights.
    Jose Alvarez, also an arborist, said he never gets used to the weird hours, although he's worked them at Disneyland Resort for 15 years.
    "I feel sleepy even though I've had seven hours of sleep," Alvarez said.
    But after so many years on the job, Alvarez, 37, prefers the job security and seniority of his present job over trying to find a new one with better hours.
    The dangers of climbing trees and trimming branches forges a team spirit that helps Alvarez through his shifts.
    "You're facing more dangers during the night because of the darkness," Alvarez said. "We depend on each other not to get hurt."
    The crew camaraderie is why Adrian Hernandez, 34, keeps coming back to his nighttime janitor job after five years. He and the other 12 janitors on his shift don knee-high rain boots, flashlights and orange vests as they wash down the park with fire hoses.
    In addition to washing away dirt, Hernandez has used the water pressure to push back wayward crawdads that escaped from the pond in the Small World Mall. Lately, the most out-of-the-ordinary event during his shift was when Hernandez had to alert security to take care of wayward grad-night high school students hiding in the park after closing. Other than that, his job stays pretty routine.
    "The hardest part is adjusting to being awake," he said. "The job is easy."
    The cool air is the main perk of the job for Hernandez, who car-pools with a co-worker from his grandmother's home in Los Angeles.
    Although he's a California native, he doesn't like hot weather.
    "I'm a cold person," Hernandez said. "It's weird, I should probably be in San Francisco or someplace else cooler."
    But moving is out of the question for Hernandez. He grew up here and he wants to stay here.
    "I love earthquake country," he said.
    He also loves getting sneak peaks of the park's shows during his shift. Rehearsals for new performances happen at night, and Hernandez gets to see them long before the throngs of visitors.
    As Hernandez and the other Disneyland nighttime inhabitants move around the park, Carolyn Voss monitors their comings and goings from her security-guard booth at the gates. Voss' night shift is a way for her to stay alive, literally.
    "I have skin cancer," Voss said. "The sun bothers me."
    Caffeine, even dancing, keeps Voss from falling asleep. Her co-workers and the other "vampires," as she calls the nighttime workers, keeps her spirits high.
    "We all know each other and support each other," Voss said.
    By Catrine Johansson

• Winter in Oceanside...

There are crawdads in Disneyland!?? Maybe they should be on the menu in NOS.

• Former Cast Member

I worked at Big Thunder Ranch in '92/'93 usually during the day and into the evening, but twice I was assigned to the prep crew that started around 5 or 6am (details on that are a littel fuzzy since I was partially asleep) in the morning. Our job that early was to prepare the big meat smokers and get the food in there for the 4-6 hour smoking process which made the chicken, ribs, and brisket tasty and the restaurant one of the best.

The strangest thing happened on one of those shifts. I entered mainstreet through the entry between Star Tours and the Plaza Inn. As I stepped onstage, I could tell the gardeners and street hosing crew had already been through because the ground was wet and the flowers bright and beautiful. As I crossed the hub toward the Carnation Plaza Ice Cream shop (no longer with us) to get backstage to go to BTR, I looked down mainstreet at the train station. Everything I knew to be Mainstreet was there, clean, repainted and lit up. Well almost everything... There was no music and no people!. In fact I spun around as you might see someone in the Twilight Zone do and looked for any signs of human life. There were none from the time I went onstage until I went backstage again. To be in the center of the park all by myself was rather surreal, yet there was a familiar beauty to it.

I don't know if that will ever happen again, but I don't think I will ever forget it.

Even at my age...close to forty...I still dream of taking a chance and getting a job at DW for a season. Cool post.

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    I came across this article recently. It talks about 3 CM's who work the night shift.

http://www.mickeynews.com/News/Displ...id_E_6154Night
    HAHA, I could fill this thread with a million stories! I don't even know where to start!

Hey Garrett! I'm new to the chat. I worked for 2 years 3rd shift custodial in DL too! I worked there in 2002-2004. I'll bet I worked with people you also knew. All your descriptions are pretty spot on! You're reminding me of things I already forgot about! Mostly the stupid things like semi trucks BARRELING down the parade route and running over your hose, without honking! (so annoying)! And how LOUD the Snow White wishing well is! That's something you don't notice during the day. I have the original article you posted a link to! It ran in the OC register Business Monday section while I was working there. (The theme that week was working graveyard in general)
    As far as opening procedures go, as far as I knew, they differed for every single attraction, and are taken care of by those attraction openers and that attraction's maintenance people. As far as the cleaning and gardening and such, Garrett and I can both attest to the fact that it starts right after closing and goes all night, not in the morning. With HUGE respect to the day custodial cast members, who do A LOT of hard, dirty work, those pans and brooms are not keeping the park looking like that. The ground would be black with grime and soda spills in a week if every walkable surface weren't hosed down every night. What they are doing is working hard and doing their best to maintain the park in between cleanings. The actual cleaning happens at night.
    Anyhow, If I think of something interesting I'll post it!
    Last edited by crpeoplemover; 04-19-2006 at 11:54 PM.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Welcome, crpeoplemover! It's nice to have another Night-time person on. Kelly works 3rd shift over in DCA/DTD. (or she did...does now..did? I can't remember..Sorry Kelly)

I had a manager named Thad. I don't know if he is still around. I can't say he was my favorite, but I only remember his name. I worked one summer in 1988 or so, then left and came back in 1993-1995. I was surprised how little of the 3rd shift custodial changed in the years I was gone. Mostly the same people, same things going on. Many people have been on that crew forever.

Do they allow you to sleep during your lunch breaks? When I worked, sometimes we would sleep in the "green room" behind the snow White threater (Videoplis area) They had a couch in there. So, I would set the alarm in my watch and sleep for 15-20 minutes.

Then "they" said we could sleep in the break areas but not anywhere else. (Somebody fell alseep and nobody could find him for a few hours...it wasn't me) The breakarea we used (IASW Crew) was next to the storyboat ride. The break area was where they stored the SB boats during the night. It was so sweet. We would stack the cushons of the boat to 2 or 3 high and then sleep on the boats. It would gentley rock as we fell alseep. We would take a 20 minute nap and then be good for the rest of the night.

It was hard work on the 3rd shift. But I had alot of good times with my co-workers. I really enjoyed it..sometimes... And sometimes I hated it. hehehehe. But I guess that could be said of any job.

Again, welcome crpeoplemover, glad to have you on MC.

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    Welcome, crpeoplemover! It's nice to have another Night-time person on. Kelly works 3rd shift over in DCA/DTD. (or she did...does now..did? I can't remember..Sorry Kelly)

I had a manager named Thad. I don't know if he is still around. I can't say he was my favorite, but I only remember his name. I worked one summer in 1988 or so, then left and came back in 1993-1995. I was surprised how little of the 3rd shift custodial changed in the years I was gone. Mostly the same people, same things going on. Many people have been on that crew forever.

Do they allow you to sleep during your lunch breaks? When I worked, sometimes we would sleep in the "green room" behind the snow White threater (Videoplis area) They had a couch in there. So, I would set the alarm in my watch and sleep for 15-20 minutes.

Then "they" said we could sleep in the break areas but not anywhere else. (Somebody fell alseep and nobody could find him for a few hours...it wasn't me) The breakarea we used (IASW Crew) was next to the storyboat ride. The break area was where they stored the SB boats during the night. It was so sweet. We would stack the cushons of the boat to 2 or 3 high and then sleep on the boats. It would gentley rock as we fell alseep. We would take a 20 minute nap and then be good for the rest of the night.

It was hard work on the 3rd shift. But I had alot of good times with my co-workers. I really enjoyed it..sometimes... And sometimes I hated it. hehehehe. But I guess that could be said of any job.

Again, welcome crpeoplemover, glad to have you on MC.
    Thanks Garrett! I did see Kelly also work(ed) 3rd shift, after my last post. (Hello to her if she reads this.)

If you were shocked to find how little had changed between the times you worked there, you'd be shocked to know how little has changed since then! Your descriptions of the job match mine exactly! That's not to say there haven't been some changes, but I think the 3rd shift departments are probably the most frozen in time. Many old-timers (or "Lifers" as we affectionally called them)! I think I was approaching my 2 year anniversary when I noticed that people stopped treating like a newbie! That Thad guy is no longer there, but I do remember his name being mentioned.

I usually always worked on either the Boat Crew (all the outdoor Boat attractions) or the Washdown (Hosing) Crew. So I too have taken many a break time nap on the Storybook Boats! (Only when I was there they had already taken out the cushions, so I used towels for a pillow.) Unofficially, you can take a nap during break, so long as it was in a regular break area (Like the Storybook Break Area, but not the boats, oops!). The theory was that your fellow CMs would have the curtesy to wake you when break was over, which didn't always happen!

I too had a love-hate feelings about the job. It was really hard physical work. But it is, by far, THE BEST job if your a Disney fanatic. (In my opinion). 3rd shift custodial (DL side) cleans every area except TDA and the OldAD building, so you essentially get free reign. I know that park like I know my home. And it was just cool to say like "Oh, this is what the Holidayland Restrooms look like" or "Oh, this is what the basement of the Carrousel building looks like" If I were to list my experiences while working there, it would make a Disney fanatic salivate. I've walked every single attraction in Disneyland, (Except the Matterhorn and Big Thunder). I can't think of any other job, (especially an entry level one) where you get to do all those things. Much less during the day, where you're usually confined to one area of the park.

• Disneyland Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Cool stuff. One of my longtime dreams has been to get permission to see Disneyland after it closes and stay until morning. I'd love to watch everything that goes on. I'd also like to do a walkthrough of the rides. (Okay, a walkthrough of Peter Pan would be hard... )
    This makes me giggle.... difficulty level zero...I promise.

• Disneyland Nomad

To add with the attractions, you do a walkthough, with just the anmination on, to check if everything is moving. Go back to the controls turn it on a test cycle and the cars have to go in one complete cycle before the ride is good to go, and switch to normal cycle, and wait for the lovely guest to come enjoy the attraction. Oops and the leads have to sign off the checklist.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast