Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterpark?

Waterpark?

At DisneyWorld they have 2 waterparks and I was wondering why don't they build one in California, I think it would be a great idea, and I've found a great spot to put it- in the parking lot that's just south of the Paradise Pier Hotel at the corner of Disneyland Drive and West Katella Ave. I don't have anyother ideas but I just think it would be a good idea, and I think I've found the best location. What do you guys all think? and if you have any ideas about theme or anything, just post them here.

Re: Waterpark?

My experience as a Southern California native, it seems like water parks are an interesting topic. Most are open from May until Labor Day (Sept), but the warm weather is from August until October, with May being cloudy and June Gloom. Disney wouldn't really profit from the water park business here, as there are at least several nearby (Knotts Soak City (Buena Park, Palm Springs, and Chula Vista[San Diego], Wild Rivers, Raging Waters, Hurricane Harbor).

I mean they could build one, but what theme would it be, Knotts has the California themed water parks, the rest are jungle and tropical isle themes, which Disney has with Typhoon Lagoon, and the interesting Blizzard Beach.
    Though it would be neat to see the expansion of the resort, it doesn't work in ways because WDW has lots and lots of land and can build many and be connected, but to have two Disney parts seperated would be strange..

• A Pirate's life for me!

The third gate was touted as a water park when it was first announced that Disney bought the property across from the Marriott and the Hilton (the strawberry fields area).

The lack of success of DCA has reportedly put a hold on any third gate opening for a while. I know plans have been approved (according to the city), but never acted upon as of yet.

Right now it's just a 90 million dollar employee parking lot.

Time will tell.

I would like to see a Disney water park in California but I wouldn't count on it. If there was going to be one I would like to see the Pirates Of The Caribbean one I have heard of or a Little Mermaid themed one.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Maybe they can make a Disneyesque version of this place?

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

I mentioned before I would love to see a Neverland themed waterpark. There would Pirates Cove, Lost Boys Mountain, Indian Plateau, mermaid lagoon, and Skull Rock. There would be both slides and water rides such as river rafting rides and flumes where guests get incredibly wet. A waterworld type stunt show would also drench guests. It would also feature a marina area where guests could view sea creatures.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango
    I mentioned before I would love to see a Neverland themed waterpark. There would Pirates Cove, Lost Boys Mountain, Indian Plateau, mermaid lagoon, and Skull Rock. There would be both slides and water rides such as river rafting rides and flumes where guests get incredibly wet. A waterworld type stunt show would also drench guests. It would also feature a marina area where guests could view sea creatures.

The DL Hotel has a smaller version of what you are talking about (just no rides).

It's one of the reasons that we stay there on a regular basis!

Thanks for your ideas!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

NO WATER PARK!!!!

SoCal hardly needs yet another water park! DCA needs to be fixed before they consider building another park, preferably one where you dont need to wear a swimsuit to enjoy the attractions

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

In today's OC Register, the soon to be GardenWalk, across the street from the DLR mentioned the possibility of an indoor/outdoor water park as part of a hotel....

Disney might be behind the curve....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    NO WATER PARK!!!!

SoCal hardly needs yet another water park! DCA needs to be fixed before they consider building another park, preferably one where you dont need to wear a swimsuit to enjoy the attractions
    Agree! Improve DCA first.

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I'm not crazy about waterparks. I'd say NO on a waterpark just for that sake but also, if you notice, waterparks really don't go over well here. We've had several thru the years and none have really lasted that well or held up well. I haven't been to Knott's water park but I hear it's nothing to squell about. I'd say the biggest problem with water parks is that they're just darned dangerous!

• ...TWO BITS!

I dislike water parks as well. Knott's Soak City is probably the smallest water park I've been to (ironically, I got dragged there on July 17, 2005...). There really is nothing to scream about.

AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE, I'm tired of people saying "I don't want this or that until DCA is fixed first". Well, DUH, of course we want DCA fixed first. But we're talking after that fact. Sorry, it's just gotten REALLY repetative.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo
    I'd say the biggest problem with water parks is that they're just darned dangerous!
    I have been to plenty of water parks, and watched over the industry.

Disney operates a few, as does Cedar Fair (aka Knott's) and Six Flags, plus other chains such as Wet 'n Wild.... And I have NEVER heard them called Dangerous!!!!!!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Maybe "DANGEROUS= UNSANITARY"??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Well, I have two thoughts on this. (Because it's all about me me me me (me)) .

Aside from the fact that I don't think a third gate at DLR is an especially good idea, I'm not a huge fan of waterparks. I think it is a hangover from being self-conscious about body shape as a lad, but I guess I just never dug on the water thing. I actually enjoy swimming a fair bit now, although I still maintain the beach is just where dirt meets water.

Still, given California's similar climate to our own, a water park would go down a treat. Then again, there are so many beaches in California, would it be economical? I guess, thinking about it, it is a perfect opportunity for Disney to make something special. The whole point of Disneyland in the first place was that carnivals were grubby places, and Walt's wasn't going to be. Perhaps the California water park - accessible from DCA for the theming to work properly - could be an idealised version of what a California beach should be.

Alternatively, a Disney 'fantasy island' theme (no, not the one with Ricardo Montalban) could work really well. Incorporating all the elements from water-logged Disney films (including Peter Pan, Atlantis and the Little Mermaid), it could be amazing.

Still, when all is said and done, some water-based rides in DCA could do the trick as well.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast