Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Wink Old School Annual Passholders

I know alot of you out there are fairly recent Annual Passholders, perhaps you got your first pass in 2000 or sooner. I'm talking about AP holders who got theirs in their 90's. Back when you only had 2 choices for Annual Passes. Premium and Deluxe. The Deluxe passes were only about 99.00 and premium was 199.00, which included "prefered parking". For those of you who don't remember "prefered parking" it was an extra fee you used to pay to get to park up close by the ticket booths, near the disabled parking. This was pre DCA of course when you used to be able to park in that huge 100 acre parking lot. Back when you used to have a choice. Wait for the tram or just walk. We usually walked. It was faster plus you could always slug each other when we spotted out of state plates in the parking. Believe it or not but we used to have our own AP entrance, located off to the side.

I enjoyed all those summer evenings when the park was open late. My frends and I would arrive around 7:30-8:00 pm, just as the cool ocean breeze floated back into OC after a hot summer day. We would go and get some caramel sundaes at the hidden little ice cream shop on Main street, near the lockers. We'd sit and people watch. We would take a spin or two on the Peoplemover. Go watch Captain EO in a nearly empty theater. Then it was time for Fantasy In The Sky, the dinosaur fireworks show they used to have before Believe...

After the fireworks it was time to go catch the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic. By then most of the guests had gone and seating was easy for the second show. We would watch the show and head for Pirates right after. Haunted Mansion was next and if the night was warmer than usual we'd head for Splash Mountain. We would sometimes end our evening with chill out session at the Country Bear Jamboree. Most of these attractions were empty by then so there was never any waiting.

My friends and I did this almost every week. No one told us we were crazy, obsessive, sick in the head. Most were just jealous really. How many people can claim that their favorite hang out is the happiest place on earth?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Old School Annual Passholders

I've posted these before but they fit here:

Yep, 1989 was my first passport.

• Minion

Red Face Re: Old School Annual Passholders

wow....that's even more old school than mine. Yours had an actual photo in it. Mine was your first generation digital b&w laser printed type. The back only had a picture of the castle.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, we have a few of those old styles around the house. Without looking, I think our first one was from 1987.

Back then, we let them expire and then got a new one when we returned to the Park. Since about 1991 or so, we got a new one each renewal time. We used to always get the Regular passes for $99/year and with the AAA discount, $89/year. Such a deal!

We got our first AP in 1995 although we live in Northern CA. We would go down for our anniversary and we got an AP every year although we would usually only make it to the park 2-3 times a year. Even before having kids we found that we liked to take our time, sit on a bench, stroll in the gallery. SO having an Ap was a great thing.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I'm going to have to look for mine, but I think it was '95. Yeah, $99... hate to think how much I've spent on them, total, since then! One year I bought 9 of them for family members at Christmas; those days are LONG gone!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

And the hole punch means it has expired and the pink stripe on the back means I paid for parking. I miss the simple days.

• C4C6C

O-nut, I actually found mine from 1989. Didn't we (you know who) all go together and get those that year?

I can't believe I have had a pass for 17 years now.

T.O.

• The Fresh Maker

I wish I had my old passes

I remember my first was in like 88 or 89... my friend had left town for the summer and I got to go on a soft opening of Splash Mountain without him because of it... Drove him nuts.

Wow...hole punches and pink stripes!? I was feeling nostalgic about the hard plastic ones instead of the new, fandangled, flimsy ones they have now (OK, I guess that was only a couple of years ago that they made that change). But I remember my first AP was from 95 or 96. It was one of the ones with Indy on the front, when Indy was the new ride.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert
    O-nut, I actually found mine from 1989. Didn't we (you know who) all go together and get those that year?

I can't believe I have had a pass for 17 years now.

T.O.

Hmmmmm, not sure if it was that year. I dont think you and I did much together then. I dont think we did much until around the year my dad died in 1992 so maybe it was that year????

After the pink passes they turned this aquamarine color, then they started with the digital photos and the hard plastic credit card-like passes.

• Shubisha

I liked having my own line for complimentary passes over to the right side as well. The CMs were probably bored out of their minds standing at that line and would usually say something like "wow, someone with an actual comp pass" when i tried going through the line heh. Most pointless line evah!

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    I know alot of you out there are fairly recent Annual Passholders, perhaps you got your first pass in 2000 or sooner. I'm talking about AP holders who got theirs in their 90's. Back when you only had 2 choices for Annual Passes. Premium and Deluxe. The Deluxe passes were only about 99.00 and premium was 199.00, which included "prefered parking". For those of you who don't remember "prefered parking" it was an extra fee you used to pay to get to park up close by the ticket booths, near the disabled parking. This was pre DCA of course when you used to be able to park in that huge 100 acre parking lot. Back when you used to have a choice. Wait for the tram or just walk. We usually walked. It was faster plus you could always slug each other when we spotted out of state plates in the parking. Believe it or not but we used to have our own AP entrance, located off to the side.

I enjoyed all those summer evenings when the park was open late. My frends and I would arrive around 7:30-8:00 pm, just as the cool ocean breeze floated back into OC after a hot summer day. We would go and get some caramel sundaes at the hidden little ice cream shop on Main street, near the lockers. We'd sit and people watch. We would take a spin or two on the Peoplemover. Go watch Captain EO in a nearly empty theater. Then it was time for Fantasy In The Sky, the dinosaur fireworks show they used to have before Believe...

After the fireworks it was time to go catch the 10:30 showing of Fantasmic. By then most of the guests had gone and seating was easy for the second show. We would watch the show and head for Pirates right after. Haunted Mansion was next and if the night was warmer than usual we'd head for Splash Mountain. We would sometimes end our evening with chill out session at the Country Bear Jamboree. Most of these attractions were empty by then so there was never any waiting.

My friends and I did this almost every week. No one told us we were crazy, obsessive, sick in the head. Most were just jealous really. How many people can claim that their favorite hang out is the happiest place on earth?
    Yeah, I remember all those things. We got our first APs in 1993, and the preferred parking was great. Get there late, walk up to the gate.

Of course, there was also the trick when getting there late if Preferred Parking was full. Way back when the DL hotel had a tram, we would park by the tram stop inside the gate to the parking lot and ride the Hotel Tram both ways. Much closer than the regular trams.

Or eat at the Monorail Cafe, great MTO Burgers there!

I still remember enjoying eating in the Old Carnation Cafe, table service, hamburger and Portablello mushroom burger, made to order. And, and sundaes made to order.

Come in the evening to have dinner and watch the MSEP, now that was a summer evenings entertainment.

Of course there was always Saturday eves, dinner and dancing to the Disneyland Band with Stanford Freeze in the Plaza Gardens, and when the ice cream was stil open there, we would often have an ice cream during one of the bands breaks. Or maybe go off to watch the MSEP during a break.

Back then, the Fireworks were such that you could get a good view anywhere in the park, just stop what you were doing, watch the Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks and then continue on. No closing Fantasyland or Toontown for the Fireworks.

Or go for a nice even relaxing ride on the Peoplemover, or two or three, heck, just ride the PM and relax.

Wow, sorry for the ramblings, but as you can tell, the early 1990's bring back a lot of memories. Heck, I could even walk the park then.

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 04-13-2006 at 08:17 PM.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Fireworks from Toontown ROCKED!!!

Ah yes, arriving later in the day and "sneaking" your way ALLLLLL the way up front and parking next to where the tent/awning thing was located outside the front entrance. Talk about princess parking!

• Disneyland Resort Lover

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL

.....Wow, sorry for the ramblings, but as you can tell, the early 1900's bring back a lot of memories. Heck, I could even walk the park then.

Yeah, i loved walking through the orange groves too!
    DISNEYLAND GUY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast