Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: All EIGHT Subs are out in the open, and Rock*It Mountain is confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Also, in your previous update 4/11, there was some dark photo's of what looked like a commet and a dining area. Would this be any chance be inside the Blue Byoue?
    I was trying some shots due to the full moon and using the lighting of the area.

They were taken at the Grand Californian Hotel, near the outdoor fireplace. They set up the tables for a wedding reception.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XCLIPSE129
    Excellent pictures DB. Man I love how you can just swing over to DL anytime or USH or SW or any theme park... hhaha Jealous. I can only go either on the weekends, vacations, and every other friday. So Im still wondering how the queue will work. Cant they jsut extend outward the upper platform to go over the loading dock. Kinda like how Indy's queue. Im having a difficult time putting both the Sub queue with the monorail queue. Whats your take...?
    I remember the old sub queue, basically where the Autopia shop is now, the entire area was filled with switchbacks. But they lost a lot of the queue area for two reasons. One was the addition of the elevator for the Monorail, and the set up of the Hotel queue on the west end. Then when they combined the two autopia tracks and built the new queue for them, they took some of the east part of the queue area, and landscaped it.

This fall, they will start work on the queue area. Plans have the elevator being removed and replaced, maybe with a longer ramp instead of the elevator. They also plan to build a "viewing theater" in the queue area, to allow folks who cannot access the subs due to the stairs a chance to have a "virtual" tour via a pre-recorded video with a few special effects. (Similar to what SeaWorld does with its simulator rides).

Add to that the need for a place to put FASTPASS machines out, and you will see some changes in the area. The Autopia exit will more than likely be redone to have guests exit nearer Innoventions, plus the Club Buzz area is being worked on, since much of the northern end of tables will be lost for a new sidewalk. So expect to see a much larger queue area in 2007.

• With my wife....

I'm not looking forward to the wait for this ride....

I wonder what the imagineers are doing to increase capacity and/or decrease loading times? I see the potential for this to become another logistical nightmare!!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

I thought it looked like blood too.
    Janette

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    I'm not looking forward to the wait for this ride....

I wonder what the imagineers are doing to increase capacity and/or decrease loading times? I see the potential for this to become another logistical nightmare!!
    Not much they can do, the biggest issue is that there are 3 loading stations, and it takes a few minutes to load and unload folks from the subs with just two exits and a narrow staircase.

Adding Subs won't help, in fact, the most you will see them run will be 6 at a time.

• time to go

I wonder what the imagineers are doing to increase capacity and/or decrease loading times?
    They'll be playing video loops of Eisner's new talk show on overhead monitors in the queue.

If that doesn't decrease the wait time, nothing will.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I remember the old sub queue, basically where the Autopia shop is now, the entire area was filled with switchbacks. But they lost a lot of the queue area for two reasons. One was the addition of the elevator for the Monorail, and the set up of the Hotel queue on the west end. Then when they combined the two autopia tracks and built the new queue for them, they took some of the east part of the queue area, and landscaped it.

This fall, they will start work on the queue area. Plans have the elevator being removed and replaced, maybe with a longer ramp instead of the elevator. They also plan to build a "viewing theater" in the queue area, to allow folks who cannot access the subs due to the stairs a chance to have a "virtual" tour via a pre-recorded video with a few special effects. (Similar to what SeaWorld does with its simulator rides).

Add to that the need for a place to put FASTPASS machines out, and you will see some changes in the area. The Autopia exit will more than likely be redone to have guests exit nearer Innoventions, plus the Club Buzz area is being worked on, since much of the northern end of tables will be lost for a new sidewalk. So expect to see a much larger queue area in 2007.
    In the queue area? I thought it would be somewhere else. If it is of the ride it'll ruin it for people.
    Last edited by C-HOX; 04-14-2006 at 09:19 AM.

• With my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Not much they can do, the biggest issue is that there are 3 loading stations, and it takes a few minutes to load and unload folks from the subs with just two exits and a narrow staircase.

Adding Subs won't help, in fact, the most you will see them run will be 6 at a time.
    Yep, they're notoriously slow-loaders. I'm just hoping that someone has a revolutionary idea to help minimize the load time. And if it's not a design solution, perhaps something in the load process could be tweaked for maximum loading and unloading efficiency. Even cutting the load time down a little bit would help. I'd rather wait 2 and 1/2 hours than 3.....

Also, I'm curious to see how the addition of fastpass will affect the capacity dynamic, not only for this ride but for Tomorrowland as a whole. Right now, the first thing we usually do when entering the park is head to Space Mountain to grab a fastpass, since the wait is generally so long. When the subs open back up, it's likely that people will get FP's for that instead. If that frees up SM FP's, then great. But what about all of the additional people in the walkways?! They're gonna have to wait somewhere if they're not in line, right?
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• I'm Flying High

I never had a chance to go on the original. Too young too remember even if I had.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Yep, they're notoriously slow-loaders. I'm just hoping that someone has a revolutionary idea to help minimize the load time. And if it's not a design solution, perhaps something in the load process could be tweaked for maximum loading and unloading efficiency. Even cutting the load time down a little bit would help. I'd rather wait 2 and 1/2 hours than 3.....

Also, I'm curious to see how the addition of fastpass will affect the capacity dynamic, not only for this ride but for Tomorrowland as a whole. Right now, the first thing we usually do when entering the park is head to Space Mountain to grab a fastpass, since the wait is generally so long. When the subs open back up, it's likely that people will get FP's for that instead. If that frees up SM FP's, then great. But what about all of the additional people in the walkways?! They're gonna have to wait somewhere if they're not in line, right?
    Oh sweet Jesus. Don't tell me there will be FASTPASS for the Subs. It will send the wait time through the roof. Where would they put FP machines anyway? Theres too little room as it is, unless they use Fantasia Gardens for FP distro... I hope not.. yeesh.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Vehicle rotating backward

When the subs open back up, it's likely that people will get FP's for that instead. If that frees up SM FP's, then great. But what about all of the additional people in the walkways?! They're gonna have to wait somewhere if they're not in line, right?
    And now that you too have opened your mind to the realization that FP does not add capacity, well...Welcome to the dark side, friend. Pretty soon you too will be dueling with folks who tell you that FP is great because it allows semi to regular AP-goers to hit the whole mountain range in a day.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    And now that you too have opened your mind to the realization that FP does not add capacity, well...Welcome to the dark side, friend. Pretty soon you too will be dueling with folks who tell you that FP is great because it allows semi to regular AP-goers to hit the whole mountain range in a day.
    Despite my affection for fastpass can we NOT have this thread turn into an argument on the pros or cons?

Lets just bask in the glory that the subs are back in the lagoon where they belong! It really is a great sign of the wonderful things in store for the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• With my wife....

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    well...Welcome to the dark side, friend.
    "Noo!!! I'll never join you!!! That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!!"

*jumps down nearest shaft*

I think adding FP to the subs is inevitable, whether you agree with the FP philosophy or not.... I highly doubt Disney is going to build a shiny new E-ticket (hey, that's me!) without adding in the obligatory fastpass machines.

But whether they have them or not, I fear the wait for Nemo and friends is going to be a looooong one. We know one of the things that the DLR is best at is crowd management, so I'm wondering what they're going to pull out of their bag of tricks for managing this queue in such a tight space?

--Walt Disney

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    In the queue area? I thought it would be somewhere else. If it is of the ride it'll ruin it for people.
    The Viewing Theater is that, an enclosed room that only those who cannot access the subs will be allowed to enter and watch the video of the trip. It needs to be in the same area, as it will be designed to work with groups. Everyone enters the same queue, and then somewhere near the loading area, a seperate line will have those folks who can't handle the stairs the chance for the alternate voyage.

It won't spoil the trip for those in the queue waiting to ride the subs.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I highly doubt Disney is going to build a shiny new E-ticket (hey, that's me!) ---
    I don't know why but that made me laugh real hard hahaa

But whether they have them or not, I fear the wait for Nemo and friends is going to be a looooong one. We know one of the things that the DLR is best at is crowd management, so I'm wondering what they're going to pull out of their bag of tricks for managing this queue in such a tight space?
    I predict a big extended queue wrapping around the perimeter of the Sub Lagoon, and then if it gets real hairy, an extended queue of switchbacks in the Fantasia Gardens/old Motorboat Cruise area (that is, if the Fantasia Gardens/MBC area isnt the designated FP Distro area...).

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast