Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Junior Senior

does anyone know DL policy on pandemics?

Okay, this is fairly morbid, but I just read an LA Times article about how unprepared Los Angeles is for a hypothetical flu pandemic, and at the end of the article someone asked what would happen at Disneyland if one were to strike (as an example of a crowded place where disease spreads easily). The article also mentioned that there were flu pandemics in 1957 and 1968.

This means DL has been around through two flu pandemics before now. Does anyone have any idea how these were dealt with? Did the park close down?

I get curious about these things. I was just wondering if Disney had any official policy on disasters of this sort.

Re: does anyone know DL policy on pandemics?

Disease like this is sort of a slow-action car chase. Not a lot of excitement. Anybody who's worried about the pandemic will stay home. The rest of us will get really good at washing our hands.

There's really not a feeling of immediacy to it. I doubt Disney would change anything. Maybe make extra-certain the soap dispensers in the bathrooms are full, and the first-aid stations are staffed and stocked.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• no flash photography...

maybe they will hand out face masks at the bag check area....

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

From the Disney Operations Manual:

Clause 78: In the event of a pandemic breaking out during opening hours, Cast Members are advised to row as many healthy people over to Tom Sawyer's Island with a supply of churros and Dole Whips, burn the canoes and rafts and wait it out.

Only the healthy will prevail.

Please note that during these days, the Park reserves the right to not hold the Parade due to the bodies that will most likely be littering Main Street.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Clause 78: In the event of a pandemic breaking out during opening hours, Cast Members are advised to row as many healthy people over to Tom Sawyer's Island with a supply of churros and Dole Whips, burn the canoes and rafts and wait it out.
    Those healthy people won't be healthy people for long, not with a supply of churros and Dole Whips they won't...
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crinklebat
    does anyone know DL policy on pandemics?
    I'm sure they aren't in favor of them

Sorry I just couldn't resist. This thread interruption sponsored by TheraFlu. When the flu has you down, drink TheraFlu. We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress....

• Animatronic

I'm sure they have plans to quantine the Tiki Room birds in the event of an outbreak of the bird flu.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    Disease like this is sort of a slow-action car chase. Not a lot of excitement. Anybody who's worried about the pandemic will stay home. The rest of us will get really good at washing our hands.

There's really not a feeling of immediacy to it. I doubt Disney would change anything. Maybe make extra-certain the soap dispensers in the bathrooms are full, and the first-aid stations are staffed and stocked.
    A few years ago I used to be very conscious about washing my hands and not touching things that were foriegn or percieved as dirty.

Then I just stopped worrying about it. I'm not too terribly concerned about getting sick. It sucks, but whatever. If I get sick and die, I get sick and die.

Anyway, doesn't excessively washing your hands, sanitzing everything, excessive bathing cut back on your development of immunities?

Either way, you're probably screwed if a pandemic breaks out, so why worry?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    Those healthy people won't be healthy people for long, not with a supply of churros and Dole Whips they won't...
    Well, pineapple is a fruit! Fruit is good!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

Talking Re: does anyone know DL policy on pandemics?

If you are that concerned over the flue, don;t go to Disneyland, or anywhere else for that matter. Germs are everywhere and it really all depends on your own immune system. I happen to be blessed with a very strong immune system. For the past winter people at my work have been sick, with flu, colds and who knows what else. I work in an office enviroment and it is very easy to pass viruses in a place like this. My cubicle neighbor has had the flu 4 times in the past 4 months and I haven't so much as caught a sniffle and we share everything! So bottom line is that if you have a great immune system you should be fine.

And for the record, I'm not a health nut or anything. I recently quit smoking, I'm at least 30 lbs overweight and I don't get enough exercise. So if youre still getting sick and you go to the gym and eat right, THAT is pretty funny.

• Give Peace a Chance

I'm sure they will follow HHS/CDC policies just like everyone else.
    See Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist.
    ~ MickeysGirl o
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! o

• Hooterville, USA

This just in:
    The word Pandemic cannot be used since Disney has the trademark on the name Pan. Henceforth, the name pandemic will now be referred to as only "Demic".

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I'm enjoying many of the responses to this thread. I needed a good laugh.

• no flash photography...

They will hand out free masks, but for $7.99 you can get one with a mickey mouse nose on it......It will go great with the mouse ears....even the flu is fun at DL.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    A few years ago I used to be very conscious about washing my hands and not touching things that were foriegn or percieved as dirty.

Then I just stopped worrying about it. I'm not too terribly concerned about getting sick. It sucks, but whatever. If I get sick and die, I get sick and die.

Anyway, doesn't excessively washing your hands, sanitzing everything, excessive bathing cut back on your development of immunities?

To some degree, yes, avoidance of germs lets your immune system get lazy. I work with a girl who is literally germ-phobic, and when she does catch something, it lays her out for a long time. Not only that, but the stress of worrying about it reduces your immune system.

I'm kind of with you, in that I generally don't worry about it. I try to wash my hands during flu season and all, but I'm not panicked about it.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast