• Neep meep beep

Monorail Question

I note that the disney map and website state that the Monorail is shuttle service, which they describe as "one way only". My question is, "which way"? It seems to me that for week evening visits, the Monorail, which I believe goes either to or from tomorrowland to Downtown Disney, would be terribly convenient -- to grab a meal, or . I've seen the station in Downtown Disney, but am I incorrect that it stops there, or does it also, or only, stop at a hotel, like the Grand Californian, or the Disneyland Hotel? Advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Monorail Question

One way means no more round trip rides. You can get on at DTD, but you must get off in Tomorrowland, or vice versa.

You might also want to keep in mind that on the weekends or busy days, the monorail has been restricted to hotel guests only.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    but am I incorrect that it stops there, or does it also, or only, stop at a hotel, like the Grand Californian, or the Disneyland Hotel? Advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.
    The monorail only stops at Downtown Disney and Tomorrowland. It goes through the Grand Californian, but does not stop there. Also, the Downtown Disney station used to be called the Disneyland Hotel station.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let describe the basic Monorail system as it is normally run.

There are only two stations along the track.

The first stop is inside of Tomorrowland next to the Sub Lagoon.

Once it is loaded, then it heads out of the park and into Disney's California Adventure (the old parking lot). It goes thru part of the Grand Californian hotel garden area, and the building was built around the track. It then ends at the Downtown Disney station. At this point, folks were allowed to disembark if they wanted to, to allow access to the Shops, plus the Hotels (This used to be the Disneyland Hotel stop until they built Downtown Disney). Then they load folks that want to go into the park. The Monorail continued along the track along the edge of Disneyland until it entered the park, and did some passes over the Sub Lagoon, the Autopia tracks, and then past "it's a small world" and the Matterhorn into the Tomorrowland station, where everyone was required to disembark. SO you could take a "round trip" from Tomorrowland, or a one-way trip from DtD to Tomorrowland.

Due to the current construction in the Sub Lagoon for the new Finding Nemo ride, they had to turn off the electricity to that portion of the track.

So the Monorail now loads at Tomorrowland as usual, and heads thru DCA to Downtown Disney. Everyone must exit at that time. Then the Monorail is loaded, and put into "Reverse", and goes back thru the DCA area to Tomorrowland.

So instead of going in a full circle along the track, it now only goes part of the way, and then goes backwards to get back to the starting point.

As for the Downtown Disney stop, it is in the exact same location as the old Disneyland Hotel stop. What happened is that the original Hotel Lobby, along with a group of shops, restaurants and a pool were removed and used as part of the DtD project. The three towers remain, and a new pool area and lobby were built.

Note, the Monorail has been breaking down more often in Shuttle mode, so you might find it not running. Also, on busy days, especially in the Morning Hours, that the Monorail is restricted to just the 3 Disney owned Hotel guests.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

I remember seeing a very ambitious plan way back when they released information about the Westcot Center, the west coast version of Epcot, and they had planned monorail extensions to cities outside Anaheim, such as the John Wayne airport and Anaheim Stadium. Of course this never happened, but wouldn't it be great if it did? Hop on the monorail and take it instead of driving to the park!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    I remember seeing a very ambitious plan way back when they released information about the Westcot Center, the west coast version of Epcot, and they had planned monorail extensions to cities outside Anaheim, such as the John Wayne airport and Anaheim Stadium. Of course this never happened, but wouldn't it be great if it did? Hop on the monorail and take it instead of driving to the park!
    Heck the DisneySea plan had Disneyland, in Anaheim, connected to DisneySea, in Long Beach. So monorail expansion was always up there. But I don't think it would work as well as people think. A true WDW-esque transportation system would have to be kept seperate and away from the current monorail. The scales are just too different.