Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Planning question for the Gumball Rally...

As many of you know, I am planning a "Gumball Rally" to be held at Disneyland on Friday, September 29th. It is a contest to see who can go on every ride in Disneyland in one day.

One of the questions that has arisen is whether the rally should last all the way until Disneyland closes (potentially at 12AM) and then meet at an outside venue around 12:30AM to determine the winner, award the grand prize and pass out parting gifts...

OR

Should we end the contest earlier than Disneylands operating hours (say 10PM) then have everybody meet at an outside venue around 10:30 PM to determine the winner, pass out the grand prize and parting gifts, thus ending the event at midnite instead of potentially 1:30 - 2:00 AM.

Bear in mind that there is a distinct possibility that the winner may finish the challenge prior to Park closing. So theoretically, some people may be sitting around waiting for others to straggle in a 12:30 AM, already knowing who won, and not really caring about sticking around for any more festivities.

Everyone who participates in this event is going to be tired, and we are trying to determine if it is more important to give participants the whole 16 hours to accomplish the task of riding every ride in Disneyland, or is it more important to try and finish this event earlier than the total Park hours alloted, in the interest of having an "awards ceremony"

All constructive comments are welcome and encouraged, as this is supposed to be a fun event.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

Re: Planning question for the Gumball Rally...

I would be more in favor of finishing the event before the park closes and keeping the awards ceremony inside the park. Actually, if you're really trying to I'm pretty confident it won't take a full 16 hours to ride every attraction in DL, especially if we're not including shows (are we? I forget what the verdict was).

• Huh?

10 sounds better... more of a challenge and less of a chance to have several people claiming first prize.
    -Tim

• Artsy Fartsy

I'm with finishing early. I think, I know that people will be tired, to finish early will be welcomed. I wasn't sure how we were planning on verifing proof of riding every ride, but if were using micechatters to verify I'm sure they will be tired too. Just my 2 cents.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Merry 2014!

Have you had someone in the planning (and not actually racing), try to do it to gauge time? Then you could add or subtract accordingly to make it more challenging. It sounds like a very fun time. Too bad it happens just before I come to DL.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Huh?

For verification purposes.... are you allowed to ask a CM to sign the paper with the time at the end of each ride? That way, you can judge to see if it's a believable time (based on the day's posted wait times and fast pass) and an outside source of verification...

Though, unless this is official, without a judge following close behind all day, it's going to be near impossible to not cheat.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    For verification purposes.... are you allowed to ask a CM to sign the paper with the time at the end of each ride? That way, you can judge to see if it's a believable time (based on the day's posted wait times and fast pass) and an outside source of verification...

Though, unless this is official, without a judge following close behind all day, it's going to be near impossible to not cheat.
    I think we decided that we were going to take pictures, with a team member, and a prop on each ride--no papers, judges stalking you, etc.

I vote for the 10 pm meet. Really, I know I will be done long before that. (you know there will be lots of people pushing to the front of lines--oh excuse me, I have to meet my____ who is holding a place for me........)

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by awesomemama
    I think we decided that we were going to take pictures, with a team member, and a prop on each ride--no papers, judges stalking you, etc.

I vote for the 10 pm meet. Really, I know I will be done long before that. (you know there will be lots of people pushing to the front of lines--oh excuse me, I have to meet my____ who is holding a place for me........)
    So, how will you do these pictures? Polaroid camera or just have the judges to look through tiny screens of an LCD?

My vote would be Polaroid.... but that's just me.
    -Tim

I'm pretty confident it won't take a full 16 hours to ride every attraction in DL, especially if we're not including shows (are we? I forget what the verdict was).
    Rides ONLY. It's too easy to leave the shows early.

Verification will be done by taking pictures on the ride with a digital camera. Contestants will be issued a glow-in-the-dark wristband that is numbered, one wristband per team. Verification will be done with a digital camera. On rides where flash photography isn't allowed you can take a picture of the wristband without a flash, or at the exit of the ride before disembarking. Either way, the photo must be legible and easily recognized as part of the attraction in question.
    We will have a member of the event staff (Earkid) there with a super-trick double-throwdown laptap that can read virtually every kind of camera media. That way we can look at the photos taken by the people who get there first to verify what we are looking at. At this time, all photos are going to need to be a minimum of 640 x 480 pixels.

(you know there will be lots of people pushing to the front of lines--oh excuse me, I have to meet my____ who is holding a place for me........)
    Pleeeeeese no...
    I know you're just kidding, but remember, the number one rule is," don't infringe upon the enjoyment of the Park by other paying guests"
    The number two rule is: You have to abide by all of Disneylands rules for guest conduct.

Last edited by Circarama; 04-19-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    Pleeeeeese no...
    I know you're just kidding, but remember, the number one rule is," don't infringe upon the enjoyment of the Park by other paying guests"
    The number two rule is: You have to abide by all of Disneylands rules for guest conduct.
    So, does this mean no disintegration of other guests or banishing them to the netherworld?
    -Tim

• I'm your huckleberry.

I vote for stopping early too. Another thing you might want to consider is having a "phone tree" of sorts, so if someone finishes really early, everyone can find out about it and not have to wait around for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Question Re: Planning question for the Gumball Rally...

Question....

It is too bad but I can't participate because I will be gone by the 29th. Can I help someone practice though? Or is that cheating?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    So, does this mean no disintegration of other guests or banishing them to the netherworld?
    EXACTLY!

I vote for stopping early too. Another thing you might want to consider is having a "phone tree" of sorts, so if someone finishes really early, everyone can find out about it and not have to wait around for hours.
    I don't know what a phone tree is, but it sounds like a good idea.

It is too bad but I can't participate because I will be gone by the 29th. Can I help someone practice though? Or is that cheating?
    People can "practice" all they want. The only time that it's gonna count is on September 29th.
    Last edited by Circarama; 04-19-2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Planning question for the Gumball Rally...

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    EXACTLY!

I don't know what a phone tree is, but it sounds like a good idea.

People can "practice" all they want. The only time that it's gonna count is on september 29th.
    I think what is meant by a "Phone tree" is a list of cell phone numbers of the participants so if someone finishes first all the teams can be notified.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Artsy Fartsy

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    I think what is meant by a "Phone tree" is a list of cell phone numbers of the participants so if someone finishes first all the teams can be notified.
    Good Idea!!

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast