Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• the rum is always gone

A Month Left and a New Ride

I was wondering with the 50th coming up in month if Disnneyland will be able to accomplish their goals? Think about it. The Tomorrowland RR station is still not open, Space Mountain is still sitting there (maybe completed, maybe tested, maybe empty (the latter not likely)), and now walls are going up around the sub lagoon. Is Disney really going to be able to build a new ride in the sub lagoon in less than a month? Is this possible? Granted, the track is already done. But if you think about it, re-doing the subs (which may already be done), creating the new ride visuals, building the scenes then testing in all a month? Is that possible. The only way I could see this possible is if Disney has gone behind our backs and some how built and installed all of the ride scenes inside the sub cave after the outside box testing occured. It would seem like a shame if Disneyland did not have the sub ride open for the 50th (which I assume is their projected date of completion) and have walls around the lagoon for the 50th?
    However, in retrospect, Disneyland has done a lot for the 50th. Think about, golden vehicles, two (possibly 3) 'new' rides, 2 new parades, a new fireworks show, a new theatre (former Mr. Lincoln), repainted the castle and parts of toontown and tomarrowland, new spalsh logs, new tiki room, the list goes on. Disneyland has really been working over time. Which is great, but if they get the subs running for the 50th, I feel it will take nothing short of a miracle. Now if only we could get them to fix the 'new' Splash logs, fix the people movers, replace club buzz, do something with the jolly trolly, finish painting tomorrowland and finish the subs, I think Disneyland will as good as it did 50 years ago. Your thoughts?

• Banned User

The subs are being worked on for a 2007 opening. They are converting it to Finding Nemo.

They are finally investing the millions of dollars required for a proper restore. I personally would love it if they would just put out a sign with a Submarine Voyage picture with coming 2007 on it. Have a ribbon on it and market it as a 50th anniversary present.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I'm glad it won't be open til 2007. Good remedy for the 50th "hangover" as AL so aptly put it.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I'm glad it won't be open til 2007. Good remedy for the 50th "hangover" as AL so aptly put it.
    I am glad they are taking the time to get it right. I would rather it open in 2007 for a WOW factor then a bleh for 2005.

• the rum is always gone

but do you really think Disney is gonna want walls around the lagoon for the 50th? Why not wait until after? Honestly, nothing like an eye sore, seeing re-ferb walls around the huge lagoon for this landmark event? It just doesn't make sense. why have such a huge event to tarnish it with re-ferb walls? I agree that a 'WOW ride' is better than a 'bleh ride.' But building during the 50th just doesn't make sense (to me at least)

• Rat Tat Tat.

Maybe while the lagoon is drained they'll remove the old scenes and just place the Nemo boxes and stuff them with the new scenes after the water is back in place over the next couple of years...?

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    well, it is far enought off the beaten path (for the most part)- I don't think it will detract too much from the festivities. We have known much worse atrocities from the Pressler era! I will look at wals for a few years if it means another E-ticket in tomorrowland
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Time Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid
    Maybe while the lagoon is drained they'll remove the old scenes and just place the Nemo boxes and stuff them with the new scenes after the water is back in place over the next couple of years...?
    No!!! They can't drain it! The Matterhorn's going to fall down and tomorrowland's going to become a giant sink hole.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by notlemc
    but do you really think Disney is gonna want walls around the lagoon for the 50th? Why not wait until after? Honestly, nothing like an eye sore, seeing re-ferb walls around the huge lagoon for this landmark event? It just doesn't make sense. why have such a huge event to tarnish it with re-ferb walls? I agree that a 'WOW ride' is better than a 'bleh ride.' But building during the 50th just doesn't make sense (to me at least)

Would you rather wait 4 years instead of 2? I actually love these walls because it is symbolism for Tomorrowland's rebirth.

• Rat Tat Tat.

For the people that aren't "us," the average visitor would not be going "Gosh! I came all this way for such a great extravaganza and all I get is a stupid wall!" It really is so minimal I don't think it would ruin people's trips, memories, and enjoyment to such a great extent...

• Banned User

Dont worry they will market this as a 50th anniversary gift. People will understand when they announce this on May 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid
    For the people that aren't "us," the average visitor would not be going "Gosh! I came all this way for such a great extravaganza and all I get is a stupid wall!" It really is so minimal I don't think it would ruin people's trips, memories, and enjoyment to such a great extent...
    very true

in fact sometimes construction can do just the opposite

when they were building DCA I didn't complain about the giant expance of construction walls I looked at the walls and wondered what the new theme park would bring us

put up some concept art and a sign that says coming in 2007 or something and bam you've just given a very large addience a reason to want to come back REAL soon

• the rum is always gone

i don't think it will be seen as a 'gift' as it will not be given for another 2 years. Personally, I would rather see no walls and an empty lagoon and wait an extra year than to see walls around a once memorable area during the 50th. personally I can wait. And I don't see how the nemo ride is to be seen as a gift. What are they gonna do? on the day of the 50th, say "please pardon our dust as we build during our golden anniversary. Please enjoy these walls instead of a view of our lagoon." I say no walls, wait the extra year and build after the 50th. If you guys are would rather have this pixar ride open sooner or later, why aren't you making a big fuss over space mtn just sitting there? I'm not saying that the walls will ruin the 50th, I'm just saying that leaving the walls down will allow people to acknowledge the marvel that once filled the lagoon rather than staring at a wall and saying "once, upon a time there was that submarine ride behind here."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

The submarines will be back. Pixar schmixar! I have confidence that the Imagineers will make Nemo fun and fascinating. The 50th Celebration is significant, but it's not a freakin' sacred rite. If there needs to be a few construction walls up, then so be it. They serve as a reminder that DL is never finished. I'd rather see the walls (which indicate something is actually happening) instead of a lonely, sad lagoon with nothing going on.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Rainicorn.

i don't think it will be seen as a 'gift' as it will not be given for another 2 years. Personally, I would rather see no walls and an empty lagoon and wait an extra year than to see walls around a once memorable area during the 50th. personally I can wait. And I don't see how the nemo ride is to be seen as a gift. What are they gonna do? on the day of the 50th, say "please pardon our dust as we build during our golden anniversary. Please enjoy these walls instead of a view of our lagoon." I say no walls, wait the extra year and build after the 50th. If you guys are would rather have this pixar ride open sooner or later, why aren't you making a big fuss over space mtn just sitting there? I'm not saying that the walls will ruin the 50th, I'm just saying that leaving the walls down will allow people to acknowledge the marvel that once filled the lagoon rather than staring at a wall and saying "once, upon a time there was that submarine ride behind here."
    Dude, Space Mountain is going to open 2 days before the 50th (the actual one, in July). Stop your griping. There is no BIG FUSS. Haven't you been reading at all? July 15 = Space Mountain.

Re: walls. Better now so they can increase its productivity and we don't have to wait for the hullaboo to be over. They can just paint the walls all pretty-like and say they're Imagineering. It's what Walt Disney was all about: progress. Gosh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast