Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Disneyland and DCA packed today - Capacity reached

I can accept the fact, but I also accept the second fact that this weekend's guests have paid 1/2 price to both parks. This attendance surge has happened each year that this promotion has been implemented, followed by a back-to-normal attendance pattern afterward.

Thinking that the second fact has nothing to do with the first fact is a bit immature and wishful thinking.
    I can wait until next weekend to see whether DCA can generate full-price ticket sales and attendance on its own.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I can accept the fact, but I also accept the second fact that this weekend's guests have paid 1/2 price to both parks. This attendance surge has happened each year that this promotion has been implemented, followed by a back-to-normal attendance pattern afterward.

Thinking that the second fact has nothing to do with the first fact is a bit immature and wishful thinking.
    I can wait until next weekend to see whether DCA can generate full-price ticket sales and attendance on its own.
    Well, I honestly doubt we will see California Adventure hitting capacity again anytime soon, or Disneyland for that matter either until July or Christmas Holidays.

• white and nerdy

This is a fantastic thread. I loved the step by step, almost hour by hour reporting of how things at Disneyland are.

While I love DCA I do admit that this surge is most likely due to the 2fer, but I'm still happy that it's getting more people in there. That's how it worked for me. I was dead set agaisnt DCA, but then I went due to the fact that a park hopper was a better deal. Once I went, the first day i hated it, finding every flaw I could, but after a few days I discovered it's own charm.

I don't think that it will hit capacity any time soon after now, but I think that the 2fer, besides just bumping attendance numbers, is a good way to expose people to DCA who wouldn't go there regularly.

Of course, there are those who can say nothing good about DCA, but there are those who can't say nothing nice about me either so.. there you go.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

It's a combination of the 2fer and Monsters Inc.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Well, I honestly doubt we will see California Adventure hitting capacity again anytime soon, or Disneyland for that matter either until July or Christmas Holidays.
    I predict DL will hit capacity on May 27 (Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend). However, it is possible that my prediction has just changed the outcome from my expected one. (I.e., people won't come, since it will be too crowded. Who knew that Yogi Berra and Quantum Physics were so related?)

It is possible use the same ticket to "Pay for DCA and get Disneyland Free," which is what I recommend, so that when you are running out of time to use the Free DL ticket, it won't be as crowded-feeling in DL as it is bound to get at DCA.
    Of course, it's possible that one wouldn't wait until the last minute to use a free DL ticket. It all has to do with "better things to do" choices in our lives.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    It's a combination of the 2fer and Monsters Inc.
    Meh. It's been like this every year of the 2fer, but this is only the first year for Monsters.
    If it's combo of anything, it's (in order): 2fer, 50th, and Monsters. I think there is a huge market of people who hardly ever go to DL (thanks Pressler), and the 2fer/50th was a good excuse to finally go back and see what was the hubbub, bub. Monsters merely got more people not to let their DCA portion go to waste.

I think some of us are forgetting that California Adventure has had the 2fer in previous years and has never hit capacity in previous years. I think it's a small combination of the Spring break guests from out of state trying to get their last day of Disney in, Monsters Inc. is new and many want to see it and the 2fer is ending for So. Cal residents. A combination of these 3 things are definitely making both parks insanely crowded.

• Rock Star Minion

I don't know if "hitting capacity" is all that magical. In previous years attendance during 2-fers has been some three times normal DCA attendance. So, maybe a few thousand people buy 2fers and wait until the very last weekend to use them? I'll blame the 2fer buyers' procrastination before I can give DCA any more credit than "More people used the free half of their ticket than in years' past."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Here's some facts:

* As many people who have entered DCA in the 2fer these past couple days have also hit Disneyland with that promotional. Disneyland has had some FULL days to prove it.

* Yes, it does seem that people are coming more or less all at once to DCA instead of in waves like at DL. And given the fact that DCA's regular attendance is far lower than DL's regular attendance, it can absorb those kind of numbers without bursting a vessel.

So while this isn't anything super amazing unless you like to hang around DCA and laugh about how few other people are there, it does give you an idea of just how big an attendance spike that 2fer promotion got. Enough people have bought into it to fill up the normally ample-sized DCA

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I'm thinking that very few people pay "full price" anyway, what with all the park-hoppers, APs, and special promotions. Almost everyone gets some kind of a "discount" even it it's a small one.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    I'm thinking that very few people pay "full price" anyway, what with all the park-hoppers, APs, and special promotions. Almost everyone gets some kind of a "discount" even it it's a small one.
    But this is a MAJOR discount, and the fact that it expires on Thursday, and today is the last weekend day, where was EVERYONE going, clearly folks were using their second day to go to DCA before the "free" ticket expired. Heck, Disney management were working the lines and allowing folks to use their second day at Disneyland if they preferred that to a day at the packed DCA.

Should be interesting to see the crowds (or lack thereof) in May.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Merry 2014!

I guess we will finally see what the driving force(s) is behind all this attendance breakage when the numbers are crunched soon.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Should be interesting to see the crowds (or lack thereof) in May.
    Heck, I'll be very interested to see what DCA capacity is next weekend without a 1/2 price enticement to get them there.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Just got back from spending the Weekend at the DLR. It was my spouse's and I's first time back in a couple of years. Went to DL on Sat. Yes it was busy, but not totally unmanageble. The situation with the fireworks was touchy, as they were bucking not only the winds, but the impending rain and well. As it has been said it went off a few minutes behind schedule, and was worth every second of it.
    Today we went to DCA. They started letting people in the gate about 45 minutes before any of the attractions opened. The entrance to Hollywood Back Lot was roped off and a crowd started forming there sweling by the minute. As the clock crept closer to 10:00 I became a little uneasy about the situation, fearing a"running of the bulls" scenerio. Fortunately as the clock struck 10:00 the rope was dropped and the crowd surged forward, in a more or less orderly fashion. Approx. half headed to Monsters Inc, the rest to Tower of Terror. We opted for Tower of Terror, and weren't dissapointed. We then did the Talk to Crush at the Animation Studio. IMHO it was really well done and very entertaining. We then joined the cattle call for the first Alladin performence. While the performence was very, very good, there has to be a better way of getting people in the theater than herding us in pen for and hour before showtime.
    After the show we tried to get lunch, but every food outlet we tried was obviouly overwhelmed by the capacity crowd. We were not about to wait the same time for a hamburger as it took to get on a ride. We wound up going off property to the IHOP across the street. It was during a rather late lunch we decided to try to go to Downtown Disney. A quick drive revealed that the parking lot was closed, so we headed south back home to San Diego.

• Senior Minion

Nice Report Dutchman, glad to hear you didn' t let the crowds get to you. Good planning or should I say improvising?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast