Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Huh?

Re: Is Disneyland Music too... Cheesy?

Of course it's cheesey. It was started by a mouse!

Ok... so, I hate 99% of the parade music. Especially the Mickey Mania parade. I'm glad we never have to bump the bump ever again.

My list of good parade music:
    Main Street Electrical Parade (except for the pre-1976 soundtrack -- got too groovy near the end)
    Tapestry of Nations
    Light Magic (expcept for the vocal parts... I just like the celtic renditions of the classic tunes, especially the Baroque Hoedown parts)
    SpectroMagic (It took a while for this to grow on me, though)

And that's about it.

For good post-Walt attraction music...

Hmm... anything that the Walt-era people did was good, just about. But that's mostly early Epcot where we get such songs as "Fiesta en México" and the wonderful soundtrack for "Impressiones de France." And also the attractions that was brought out with the opening of the Magic Kingdom.

I prefer the Dick Dale soundtrack for Space Mountain, but I'm also a bit of a Dick Dale fan -- and surf rock in general.

I love the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter soundtrack.

I'm not much of a fan for the slow ballads and folk music that they did so much in the 80s for Epcot.

Other than that, there's not much in attraction music that I hate. It's mostly the shows and parades where I start having problems listening to the music. That's where things get too cheesy, too perky, and try too hard to make us embrace the magic.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the Fantasmic song.
    -Tim

• white and nerdy

Name that tune!

Halia, Halay, Halay, Hay Hay Haylay, Oh hey hey heyyyy!!!!
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Huh?

Ooo... I know!

Listen to the Land!!!
    -Tim

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

While you're trying to name Dr. T-Gels tune, I had a question.

Isn't the same guy writing most of the parade stuff? I thought I remember hearing that the guy who wrote the score for Fantasmic also came up with the Christmas Fantasy music, and probably Light Magic, etc.

Regardless, it seems that a certain amount of the cheese factor might be attributed to the fact that they want the parade music to lend itself to different themes throughout the parade....i.e. Bibbity, Bobbity Boo has to fit next to Zip a dee doo dah, and so forth. I have a feeling that John Williams and Randy Newman would have a tough time if they had to include both of those tunes in their scores.

I think the general pop-style music for shows and parades at Disneyland is pretty appropriate... everyone can listen to it, it's inoffensive, and it's catchy! The worst is when Disney tries to do rap... has anyone heard the hip-hop remix of "it's a small world" (I think it's on one of the DisneyMania releases)? yikes!
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

• For You!

I think there is a Disney song for every occasion! Cheesey or not, I love it! I really love the Tarzan soundtrack - I've never really liked Phil Collins before. Also, I thought Elton John and the Tim Rice and Howard Ashman combo was great for film soundtracks.

As far as the parades, I still cry when I hear the Electric Parade. It's a classic! Fantasmic is really cool too. The music just makes me happy.

Also, Soarin' has been used all over the place-it was used for the Cinderella Man trailer! love that song.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Too me Disney imusic sn't as much cheesy as it is simplistic. Any novice piano player or musician can pick up a Disney muisc book whether it be theme parks or movies and play it. For most musicans, Disney, is the first songs they learn how to play. I call Disney music short and easy yet effective cause most of it you probably find catchy and nice and you remember and sing or whistle along to it.

• Dont make me unfriend you

The song I hate the most at DL, Tea Cups. I swear I don't kow how the CM's working there keep from going postal!! It is much worst then IASW

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Sometimes it's too cheesy. For instance, I had to call the other day and talk to customer service. While I waited on the phone they played some extremely happy music. Never heard the song before but man it was so over the top HAPPY! ACK!

But then that's the beauty of Disney. It's ok if it's over the top happy. In fact I expect it.

• Colorado Bound?

It is at times cheesey or rather schmaltzy, but that is what it is supposed to be. They just have not been doing it well at D'Land.

Now, WDW. I've been to both in the last year and I have to admit, Orlando does have better music. The fireworks music is what I remember best but the parade music is great too. Especially the nighttime parade.

-A'sD

•   
    • debating what to put here

Well, first of all, the parade music absolutely drives me crazy, and not in a good way.

Having said that, though, there are 3 particular pieces of music that are somewhat recent that I really enjoy. I love Soarin', written by the late, great, Jerry Goldsmith. I also love Remember and Fantasmic. I think these scores serve their purposes quite well and I never really get tired of hearing them.

As far as attractions go, nothing really stands out as something that bugs me, other than maybe Pooh, but I think that is just the ride in general.

Of course, I think the best music in the park, hands down, is in NOS. From Grim Grinning Ghosts, to Pirates, to all the wonderful street performers. I absolutely love the fact that I can go hear some really nice jazz in the park and try to make a point of checking out the various performers whenever I hear them play. I particularly love the jazz guitarist that hangs around NOS.

So, I guess it really boils down to the parades that I don't like. Thinking more about it though, there is only so much you can do for a parade. I'm not sure I could write anything much better. Still, it grates on the nerves when I hear it. I must just not be a parade kinda guy.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AmandasDad
    It is at times cheesey or rather schmaltzy, but that is what it is supposed to be. They just have not been doing it well at D'Land.
    I don't agree, it definitely does not have to be cheesy. Walt was a great lover of music. His appreciation of it is very apparent, especially at the parks. There's always been an abundance of live music, and it's anything but cheesy. Now I realize that kids for the most part like bad music, but still.

Everything Walt did was superior in quality. The music that he created was able to be sold in the mianstream and make it to the top of charts. I can't imagine PoD making a dent in the Billboard top 100...

Cheesiness is not a requirement for Disney products. Quality is.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Naaaaaaahhhh. Soarin has good music.
    Ah but when you think about that, Soarin was done by a composer. You can get that musician's name, and find he has done other work. Can you do that for many of the other compositions you find as of late?

I have to agree and disagree with the original statement. Yes, absolutely the new music is just bad, generic. But if you want horribley cheesy listen to some of the stuff they had going in the 50s. Or new Tomorrowland 1967 and the 1964 Worlds Fair are great examples or narrations that with thier "adult males rule the world" senseabilities come across as horrible/cheesy now.

But you can always find Disneyland's cheesy music in the music that trys to capture a "current" time. 80s shows, 90s shows, their synergistic promotions were horribly cheesy.

I think Disney musically had a winning time from the late 60s to about the time Eisner/Wells took over. You are hard pressed to find music that is bad from that time period (unlike now).

But while we are at it, while they make great synth mixes for EPCOT Entry Loops, most of EPCOT's original songs were not that good either. UoE's music?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by mrtommorrow
    The worst is when Disney tries to do rap... has anyone heard the hip-hop remix of "it's a small world" (I think it's on one of the DisneyMania releases)? yikes!
    There is one remix song that I grudgingly like. It's the Macarena version of the Tiki Room song. I HATE the Macarena and anyone who performs it must die, but for some reason it really works as the Tiki Room song!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I think Disney musically had a winning time from the late 60s to about the time Eisner/Wells took over. You are hard pressed to find music that is bad from that time period (unlike now).
    I assume that you are not including film scores like...um....Fox and the Hound?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast