Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 101
  1. #16

    • Lowering Expectations
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    No, POTC is flooded, that's what Disneyfreak was saying.

    Make sense?
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:


  2. #17

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    what do you mean flooding sets.. wouldn't flooding it ruin the mechanics?
    They would have to make all the wiring that goes under the water watertight. All they have to do is run a sealed pipe under to get wires across.

  3. #18

    • Mary Blair Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    136

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    While it might be cool to do the flood, I can't imagine that they could accomplish it without basically gutting the building, rebuilding the lower parts of the sets to be waterproof, securing all of the wiring in conduits (and there's a LOT of wiring!). Behind every thing that's visible in this ride is a mess of wires for sound, wires for control, wires for lighting. It'd be a HUGE undertaking to make it all waterproof. Sorry, I just don't see it happening.
    danyoung is absolutely correct. Doing that would basically involve rebuilding that ride from scratch, and it would make maintenance and the holiday layover impossible. But, I do agree it would look very cool to have the building flooded.

  4. #19

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    I think Walt didn't want to flood It’s A Small World because he wanted to keep it as close to the NY Worlds Fair as possible. When they were designing Walt Disney World's they decided since the flooding in pirates worked so well, lets flood this It’s A Small World.. and so on with each new one built afterward…(I think.) The only problem I see with flooding the building is evacuation of the ride.. you would need the boats to reach certain points in the ride to allow people to evacuate.. Otherwise it’s a great effect.

  5. #20

    • Mary Blair Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    136

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Oh, I just wanted to add that I never really noticed the floor and the suspended office ceilings until I was teenager and had rode it a million times. I think almost all children don't notice and most first time adult riders don't notice either. All the're focused on are the sets and dolls.

  6. #21

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    55

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    After a recent trip to WDW and going on their Small World, I just can't believe our version in California is allowed to be so bad! I was in shock through my whole ride at WDW, then we got back and I decided to go on our version just to see if it was that much different, and wow it was worse than I remembered: cheesy black curtains as backdrops, and the water stained ceilings in certain areas, all the exposed inner workings, and I swear I saw one of the workers inside the ride walking between the sets eating a taco on one ride last year! Maybe you don't notice so much when you are 4 or 5 years old, but it's all I see when I go on the ride now, and after going on the Florida version I'm even more horrified! It can't be that difficult to cover up the speakers and wires and that type of thing, and I would love even more if they did "flood" the ride, because it felt so much different being immersed in the sets instead of being in that outdated flume and being able to see over the edge to all of the walkways and support pieces and nasty wiring and cables. The other rides I loved as a kid still hold all of their magic now that I am an adult(POTC, HM, Fantasyland rides, etc...), but Small World is just a mess and not the magical place I loved as a kid and I really hope Disneyland does something about this soon!

  7. #22

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Quote Originally Posted by crpeoplemover
    danyoung is absolutely correct. Doing that would basically involve rebuilding that ride from scratch, and it would make maintenance and the holiday layover impossible. But, I do agree it would look very cool to have the building flooded.
    not quite rebuilding it from scratch

    alot of the mechanics could still be used only the sets would require alot of rebuilding

    it wouldn't make the Holiday layover impossible at all

    Tokyo and Paris both have Holiday layovers just like Disneyland and BOTH possess the flooded sets

  8. #23

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    I thinking "flooding" is a misnomer. But I agree that "flooding" would be cool. BTW. it's not
    an issue for PotC, WDW's iasw, EPCOT's Mexico ride & TDL's Sinbad, so emergency
    egress shouldn't be an issue.

    However, it will be a major rebuild as you would effectively have to put in a
    completely new trough. I would rather work on keeping the Hula dancers all
    functional, fixing/improving the ceiling and doing a better job hiding the mechanics/electronics.

  9. #24

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Moon and New York City.
    Posts
    689

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    I like the flume layout, but wouldn't mind it changing to the forms seen at other parks.

    What I would like to see more than anything, is the ceiling given some life, it looks like a warehouse without anything but wires and cables...
    example: Disneyland Paris

  10. #25

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,925
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    any pictures of Calif. IASW in it's current state?






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  11. #26

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,576

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    sorry a bit fuzy


  12. #27

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,925
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    picture = dead






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

  13. #28

    • Mary Blair Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    136

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    not quite rebuilding it from scratch

    alot of the mechanics could still be used only the sets would require alot of rebuilding

    it wouldn't make the Holiday layover impossible at all

    Tokyo and Paris both have Holiday layovers just like Disneyland and BOTH possess the flooded sets
    I've walked though the IASW building, and I know for fact that the building, as it stands now, is not equipped to handle "flooding." As a matter of fact, during the last major rehab they had in 2002? (someone help me here, I forgot, when they restored the 1964 audio and shortly before they repainted the facade). One of the things they did was improve the draining and emergency system should the flume flood over.

    And yes, while they would use the same sets and audio-animatronics, they would have to be completely removed and rebuilt, which is only a little better then from starting from scratch. Remember, that while POTC is "flooded," none of the audio-animatronics are IN the water, they are on dry sets.

    And the reason I said the Holiday layover would be impossible is not because of the set up, but because of the complete lack of storage at DL. ALL of the holiday layover decorations are stored BEHIND all those sets. And it's not the most convenient either, if they had somewhere else to put them they would, it would make it a lot easier. With the building flooded, they would no longer have the space for that.

  14. #29

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,872

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Quote Originally Posted by crpeoplemover
    I've walked though the IASW building, and I know for fact that the building, as it stands now, is not equipped to handle "flooding." As a matter of fact, during the last major rehab they had in 2002? (someone help me here, I forgot, when they restored the 1964 audio and shortly before they repainted the facade). One of the things they did was improve the draining and emergency system should the flume flood over.

    And yes, while they would use the same sets and audio-animatronics, they would have to be completely removed and rebuilt, which is only a little better then from starting from scratch. Remember, that while POTC is "flooded," none of the audio-animatronics are IN the water, they are on dry sets.

    And the reason I said the Holiday layover would be impossible is not because of the set up, but because of the complete lack of storage at DL. ALL of the holiday layover decorations are stored BEHIND all those sets. And it's not the most convenient either, if they had somewhere else to put them they would, it would make it a lot easier. With the building flooded, they would no longer have the space for that.
    yeah I'm aware that it would require alot of rebuilding but it would get rid of alot of the bad things that are still visiable

    I'm not even an APer and I hardly ever visit but it's way to easy to notice the wires once you get about the age of seven


    they really store IASWH stuff back there? I didn't figure there was any sort of storage behind all those sets

    were do they store HMH stuff?

    it would pose a few issues for the ride I suppose probably alot of backstage work would be needed for finding a way to store the overlay and bring it into the ride or whatnot

  15. #30

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,824

    Re: Are they ever going to flood Small World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Well that changed later as Walt finally let them flood pirates. So by the end I think he liked the idea of flooding sets.
    Well I'm sure in the begininng Walt like flooded too...but when Rolly Crump wanted to flood them Walt didn't want to change what he had already owned. I bet flooding intrigued Walt from the beginning.

    Maybe they could send the trough to HKDL for it's IASW next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    they really store IASWH stuff back there? I didn't figure there was any sort of storage behind all those sets
    Oh yeah IASW's building is huge and the ride is only part of it. Storage and (at one point) some offices were in there. I think the E-Ticket Magazine details the space usuage pretty good. Didn't know the holiday layover was stored behind the sets...but the building houses more than just IASW.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Other] Memories of the original Small World. R.I.P Small World Rainforest.
    By CAspace in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM
  2. [Pictures] It's a Small World
    By Rystall in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
  3. Disney's Big Price for a Small, Small World - Motley Fool - 8/7/2006
    By sir clinksalot in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •